PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Source: Pats have NOT ruled out bringing Cam back in 2021

No, but definitely more than just one season, a season that dealt with a pandemic and no preseason. And before you say something like "Brady had to deal with the same issues" Brady's the ****ing GOAT and Buccs built the offense around him. They gave that man whatever he wanted. You want Antonio Brown? Done. You want Gronk? Done. Meanwhile, we have a Brady offense that Brady didn't even want, not an offense built around Cam. And that same offense lost its centerpiece when Edelman got injured.

Unless we strike gold in the draft and get a QB with huge potential, why not give Cam another season? Stidham is not our savior.
They gave him whatever he wanted because he is the greatest QB of all time and TB want to win and capitalized on him.

Cam will not get resign because he can’t play anymore. It has nothing to do with his skin color or his outfit. Any white QB who would have played like Cam wouldn’t be resign either. it’s really not complicated.

Andy Dalton? Sam Bradford's career shouldn't have lasted as long as it did. Matthew Stafford
All of those were franchise QB. You give franchise QB more chances. But you don’t give more chances to rentals who can’t play. James Winston career shouldn’t have lasted as long as it did. I guess he didn’t get enough chances.

He was a near MVP contender in 2018. He was IR’d after two games last year. So really this is one bad year since his last great year. He’s coming back from a massive injury and was derailed with Covid and had the worst WR set in the league along with a new team with no off season (we all saw how long it took Brady to get going on a much better offense on a new team and we also saw how people were ready to call him washed with who he threw to last year)

Not saying he’s the answer, but most rational takes would acknowledge that he had a lot stacked against his favor this year. I would not be remotely surprised if another team with actual receivers gave Cam a shot and with another year and a full off season he came back looking decent.

However personally since we are in a rebuild we should bite the bullet and look for Mr. 15 years from now ant not Mr. can you keep us steady for a couple seasons.
I don't know how he was an MVP contender in 2018. His team was bad and his stats were pretty average. In the years following his MVP season he cam back to where he usually was prior. A solid QB who will throw some INTs but also make some plays with his legs. Now he really can't throw that well and he doesn't look like he can run anywhere near like he used to. Injuries have caught up with him and I think it is more likely he is out of the league next year than he is a week 1 starter.

They gave him whatever he wanted because he is the greatest QB of all time and TB want to win and capitalized on him.

Cam will not get resign because he can’t play anymore. It has nothing to do with his skin color or his outfit. Any white QB who would have played like Cam wouldn’t be resign either. it’s really not complicated.

All of those were franchise QB. You give franchise QB more chances. But you don’t give more chances to rentals who can’t play. James Winston career shouldn’t have lasted as long as it did. I guess he didn’t get enough chances.

Okay, but after a certain point in time, those so-called franchise QBs obviously weren't franchise QB material. Bringing up Winston doesn't help you. It's one Winston vs. armies of mediocre white QBs. Now, I can admit, times are changing and there's more starting black QBs, but all I really need to do is look back to, like, 2010 and below.

Okay, but after a certain point in time, those so-called franchise QBs obviously weren't franchise QB material. Bringing up Winston doesn't help you. It's one Winston vs. armies of mediocre white QBs. Now, I can admit, times are changing and there's more starting black QBs, but all I really need to do is look back to, like, 2010 and below.
Stafford is franchise QB and he is not mediocre and Except for the MVP Dalton as kind of a similar career as Cam And he was a franchise QB, like Cam. after 9 years, like Cam the Bengals evaluate that he wasn’t good enough and was let go. Dalton has 87.5 career passer rating and Cam has a 85.4 career passer rating. If you call Dalton mediocre, Cam is too.

give me black QBs who were supposed to be franchise guys who haven’t had as many years as a supposed to be white franchise QB?

honestly, playing the race card to try to justify why Cam should be resign is ridiculous.

Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, and Jacoby Brissett are all below average QB's who have been given chances to start. Winston will probably get another shot at some point. Teddy isn't very good and was given a starter job this year. Tyrod Taylor was given another chance to start this year and he is as average as average can be. Jacoby Brissett played about 20 minutes here and was paid like a starter and started last year.

There have also been a bunch of black QB's that have replaced white QB's lately. Kapernick over Alex Smith, Wilson over Matt Flynn, who the Seahawks paid a bunch of money to start, Mahomes over Alex Smith again, Prescott over Romo, Lamar Jackson over Flacco, Kyler Murray over Josh Rosen who went at 10 the year before.

I am a 33 year old white guy and maybe it is easy for me to say (and maybe I am wrong) but I think that ugly stigma of black QB's not being capable is gone. Of the last 5 NFL MVPs 3 of the 5 have been black QB's and Mahomes has a chance to make it 4 of 6 if he beats out Rodgers.

Stafford is franchise QB and he is not mediocre and Except for the MVP Dalton as kind of a similar career as Cam And he was a franchise QB, like Cam. after 9 years, like Cam the Bengals evaluate that he wasn’t good enough and was let go. Dalton has 87.5 career passer rating and Cam has a 85.4 career passer rating. If you call Dalton mediocre, Cam is too.

give me black QBs who were supposed to be franchise guys who haven’t had as many years as a supposed to be white franchise QB?

honestly, playing the race card to try to justify why Cam should be resign is ridiculous.
Stafford is mediocre. Dalton sucks and has always sucked. I had a whole argument with someone about Cam vs Dalton before we signed Cam this season. It's not fair comparing Dalton's passer rating to Cam's because Cam is not a pocket quarterback and you know that. When you talk bout Cam you have to bring up his rushing TDs as well as his passing. And if you think we sucked this year, we would've been even worse with Dalton.

Black QBs who were supposed to be franchise guys, but didn't get a ridiculous 7+ seasons with the same team like trash like Dalton, Jay Cutler, Stafford? Before I start, I realize a lot of these guys are not going to be great. That's not the point.

Teddy Bridgewater, EJ Manuel, Robert Griffin III, Josh Freeman, Tyrod Taylor, Jason Campbell.

And I don't give a **** if you think I'm playing the race card. I only brought it up 'cause Thelonious brought up white guilt being a reason for people wanting Cam to stay here. Go blame him. If he hadn't said it, I would've never said anything about race.

Last edited:

Welp. If there are no good QBs at the top of the draft in 2022 maybe give FA Brady another look? Lol

i cant watch another year of Cam struggling to throw a football

Teddy Bridgewater, EJ Manuel, Robert Griffin III, Josh Freeman, Tyrod Taylor, Jason Campbell.
RG3 got injured, all the guys you cited are worse than all the white guy you cited.

if Stafford is mediocre, Bridgewater shouldn’t be in the league.

RG3 got injured, all the guys you cited are worse than all the white guy you cited.

if Stafford is mediocre, Bridgewater shouldn’t be in the league.

You said name black guys who were supposed to be franchise QBs. I gave you names who deserved to play as many mediocre seasons as the white guys do. You come back and say they're all (minus RG3) worse than the white guys who are still awful to begin with. It doesn't matter if the white guys are standing at the top of garbage mountain with debris, dirt, and waste raining down on them from the sky. They're still garbage, but they got more opportunites. That was my point. What do you want from me? lol.

Stafford is mediocre. Dalton sucks and has always sucked. I had a whole argument with someone about Cam vs Dalton before we signed Cam this season. It's not fair comparing Dalton's passer rating to Cam's because Cam is not a pocket quarterback and you know that. When you talk bout Cam you have to bring up his rushing TDs as well as his passing. And if you think we sucked this year, we would've been even worse with Dalton.

Black QBs who were supposed to be franchise guys, but didn't get a ridiculous 7+ seasons with the same team like trash like Dalton, Jay Cutler, Stafford? Before I start, I realize a lot of these guys are not going to be great. That's not the point.

And I don't give a **** if you think I'm playing the race card. I only brought it up 'cause Thelonious brought up white guilt being a reason for people wanting Cam to stay here. Go blame him. If he hadn't said it, I would've never said anything about race.
Dalton was as a guy who was as good as the talent around him. His first 5 years he had a solid team around him and had slightly above average numbers. Once the talent on the roster started to diminish his numbers stayed similar but the team didn't win as many games. To me he was always that "no man's land" prime meridian type QB. He did well enough to win enough games to be in the playoff race but he was never really the reason for the playoff run. If you had a QB better than Dalton you had a real starter. Had someone worse and you needed to look for the next guy. Before the season I thought Dalton would have been the safer pick but it was hard to ignore the potential upside with Cam and with the lack of offensive weapons on this roster I thought it was worth it to take the chance on Cam.

As for Stafford I have always thought he was an above average starter and significantly better than Dalton but also needs a good roster around him as he is not quite at the level where he can force the players around him to play above their talent level. He has been pretty up and down but has also had multiple coaching staffs which doesn't help an already streaky QB. I know he has been linked to us in the last month or so as a potential bridge guy but unless this offense undergoes a major overhaul I think we would still be around 9-7.

Bridgewater (who got another chance to start this year) and RG3 fall into a different category because both of them had major knee injuries that set them back. It isn't really fair to judge their circumstances against other QB's. EJ Manuel was just flat out overdrafted and really never showed anything. He did get one start after the Bills got rid of him with the Raiders but didn't do a ton. Maybe he didn't get additional chances because he's black but I don't think he was anywhere near as good as a guy like Dalton to Stafford. Tyrod Taylor is about Dalton level ability but he wasn't drafted to start. He was a developmental guy while Dalton was a starter right away. Taylor has now had 3 different teams make him the starter so he has gotten a decent amount of chances. Jason Campbell also started games for 3 different teams and really never had good numbers. I lived in Tampa for the Josh Freeman era and let's just say he had plenty of off the field issues that ended ups derailing him.

Dalton was as a guy who was as good as the talent around him. His first 5 years he had a solid team around him and had slightly above average numbers. Once the talent on the roster started to diminish his numbers stayed similar but the team didn't win as many games. To me he was always that "no man's land" prime meridian type QB. He did well enough to win enough games to be in the playoff race but he was never really the reason for the playoff run. If you had a QB better than Dalton you had a real starter. Had someone worse and you needed to look for the next guy. Before the season I thought Dalton would have been the safer pick but it was hard to ignore the potential upside with Cam and with the lack of offensive weapons on this roster I thought it was worth it to take the chance on Cam.

As for Stafford I have always thought he was an above average starter and significantly better than Dalton but also needs a good roster around him as he is not quite at the level where he can force the players around him to play above their talent level. He has been pretty up and down but has also had multiple coaching staffs which doesn't help an already streaky QB. I know he has been linked to us in the last month or so as a potential bridge guy but unless this offense undergoes a major overhaul I think we would still be around 9-7.

Bridgewater (who got another chance to start this year) and RG3 fall into a different category because both of them had major knee injuries that set them back. It isn't really fair to judge their circumstances against other QB's. EJ Manuel was just flat out overdrafted and really never showed anything. He did get one start after the Bills got rid of him with the Raiders but didn't do a ton. Maybe he didn't get additional chances because he's black but I don't think he was anywhere near as good as a guy like Dalton to Stafford. Tyrod Taylor is about Dalton level ability but he wasn't drafted to start. He was a developmental guy while Dalton was a starter right away. Taylor has now had 3 different teams make him the starter so he has gotten a decent amount of chances. Jason Campbell also started games for 3 different teams and really never had good numbers. I lived in Tampa for the Josh Freeman era and let's just say he had plenty of off the field issues that ended ups derailing him.

Dalton has/had the hardest ceiling of any "just below top tier" QB possibly ever. Guy gave you every reason to believe he was special, except for... You know, actually being clutch and special. I think he would've (dunno if he still has it really) excelled under a coach like BB.

I mean, he came from a team that failed to find any use for Burkhead lol. Even the fans knew Burkhead was being undervalued.

Personally, I think those strong rosters of the early 2010's would've done a lot more under a great coach. I'd like to think Burfict could've been tamed under Belichick. Of course, no reason in debating it because it's an impossible argument - but I still like to tell myself that lol.

Saying this as a person who lives in Cincinnati.

I will say this, he will be cheap and motivated to show he is better than 8TDs

If no one better materializes in the offseason why close the door. Unless you think he totally is done. You could be stuck with no one again.

All that matters is if Bill thinks Newtons issues are physical or the pieces around him. Idk what they see in practice with no pressure. Is his velocity and accuracy still there?

He looked pretty good against the Jets. That's more what I was expecting passing the ball. But was that just the Jets being god awful?

A full offseason in the Pats system would do nothing but improve Cam's overall play. Bill must see something in Cam that he likes. We can criticize Bill for his 'scouting' of college players, but one thing he is as good or better than anyone in history is his scouting of current NFL players. If he sees enough of Cam to bring him back, I welcome it.

A full offseason in the Pats system would do nothing but improve Cam's overall play. Bill must see something in Cam that he likes. We can criticize Bill for his 'scouting' of college players, but one thing he is as good or better than anyone in history is his scouting of current NFL players. If he sees enough of Cam to bring him back, I welcome it.

How can Bill fix someone who’s never been an accurate passer, or can’t read a blitz and get into a better play?

He saw a former starter who was willing to sign for peanuts.

How can Bill fix someone who’s never been an accurate passer, or can’t read a blitz and get into a better play?

He's not brady but I will say he was very accurate in 2018 before his shoulder injury. That's when there was talk that the new OC in carolina was working on his form and changing his game abit to protect him

Is Adam Schefter high? Cam newton with 8 passing tds is gonna get almost as much as Ryan Tannehill?

Is Adam Schefter high? Cam newton with 8 passing tds is gonna get almost as much as Ryan Tannehill?

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

We need competition at qb position,im not opposed to it.

He's not brady but I will say he was very accurate in 2018 before his shoulder injury. That's when there was talk that the new OC in carolina was working on his form and changing his game abit to protect him
Yeah Cam’s problem this year was more a consistency thing. He threw some good balls downfield and he hit some strikes vs the Jets. And yeah we can say “it’s the Jets” but that’s more of a form thing than a read thing.

Biggest issue with him seems to be confidence. When he’s rushed and doesn’t have a total conviction in a play his form goes to crap or he’s intentionally low balling it but also with crappy form making it hit the dirt instead of legs.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back