PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sounds Like Peyton Manning Is Coming Back

I know it's a hobby around here to make fun of Peyton's one-an-dones, but there's 60 or so starting quarterbacks over the past 15 years who never even got a chance to stink it up in the playoffs. And many who only had a few chances to lose.

There's a compliment in there somewhere.

Yeah. He was great at tricking people into thinking he was a playoff quarterback by playing great against the Titans.

HOME

• Kansas City
  • Oakland
  • San Diego
  • Baltimore
  • Cincinnati
  • Green Bay
  • Minnesota
  • New England
AWAY

• Kansas City
  • Oakland
  • San Diego
  • Cleveland
  • Pittsburgh
  • Chicago
  • Detroit
  • Indianapolis
That's a pretty hard schedule. I already see 4 losses off the bat. Home to Green Bay and New England. Away at Indi and Pittsburgh. Add in 2 more losses to division or Baltimore. They still could win the division at 10-6.

So that's already two guaranteed road victories for NE next season: @Denver and @Indy

Manning is one of the greatest QBs in league history. While in his prime, he was the player I feared most as a NE fan. So many epic battles over so many years.

However : the "keep away" skit really turned me off. It wasn't "fun". It was foolish and it further showed that numbers might be more important to Manning than wins. I didn't like it.

What it told me was that Peyton feels very much in competition with Brady.. even to the point that he felt the need to pre-plan his own public image equivalent of Brady and Edelman's fun and spontaneous moment together where they both kept handing the ball back to the other.

Records are one thing, but Manning wanted his own "moment" too.

What it told me was that Peyton feels very much in competition with Brady.. even to the point that he felt the need to pre-plan his own public image equivalent of Brady and Edelman's fun and spontaneous moment together where they both kept handing the ball back to the other.

Records are one thing, but Manning wanted his own "moment" too.

What it also says is that Peyton lacks that kind of repertoire with his teammates for those kind of celebrations to erupt naturally. Instead it has to go something like this:
"Hey, when I break the touchdown record, can we do something like Tom does with his teammates?"

Not the popular opinion here, but I won't be surprised if Peyton comes back looking a lot better than he did to close this past season out- at least in the first half of the season. Real question is what kind of shape that Denver team is going to be in after all the retooling.

On the one hand - I love the rivalry.

On the other...I really like where all the playoff stats and everything end up right now. Peyton's playoff reputation can only improve. He can one-and-done until he dies, he's still a choke-artist with just one title right now. If he were to ever win ring #2, that changes it, even if the entire body of playoff work is embarrassing as it is.

So Peyton will be taking visits to the Dominican Republic this offseason ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ... excellent.

It is worth pointing out: Peyton was playing worse before the leg injury. So maybe the decline will stick. A lot of his production in Denver has been smoke & mirrors - but you could argue that he'll continue to have that production in the regular season.

Wow. Bleacher R's Cole saying Denver not sure they WANT Manning back for 2015... Back it up, Peyton (Beep beep beep).

Wow. Bleacher R's Cole saying Denver not sure they WANT Manning back for 2015... Back it up, Peyton (Beep beep beep).

Either way - Peyton will find a landing spot if he wants to play.

Brett Favre was at the top of his game the season before he retired. He didn't win another Super Bowl, but he made the Vikings with Adrian Peterson into playoff competitors, and he had his best season statistically.

Kurt Warner brought the Cardinals to a Super Bowl and playoff berths after an abysmal time with the Giants. He did pretty well in the twilight of his career.

Peyton Manning, too, has surprised me in old age. He can play as well as he's ever played since coming back from neck surgery. I was wrong to count him out. If he comes back next season I'll consider him just as much a threat as he has been every year.

It also makes me believe Brady when he says he'll play into his mid 40s :)

I really abhor all the adulation for the king of the regular season, but I do like to watch him play.

39 year old Manning

Revis - Sanders
Browner - D. Thomas
Butler/Arrington - Latimer

If Julius walks, they will probably have nothing special at TE

IMO, we can blow them out in Denver. That defense is overrated to say the least and the 2015 Broncos offense will be a fraction of what the 2013 offense used to be.

For the first time in awhile, Brady should have the more talented team than Manning next year.

Brady is the GOAT, Manning is a great QB it's more enjoyable having the greatest rivalry (albeit one-sided) on again next season.

Either way - Peyton will find a landing spot if he wants to play.

If Denver doesn't want Peyton back, it'll mean retirement in all likelihood.
A lot of teams would offer him a landing spot, but there aren't a lot of divisions the Forehead would be brave enough to enter. AFC South and NFC South are the only Divisions I can see him comfortable with.

Care Bear cup cake Divisions.

Not the popular opinion here, but I won't be surprised if Peyton comes back looking a lot better than he did to close this past season out- at least in the first half of the season. Real question is what kind of shape that Denver team is going to be in after all the retooling.

Not unpopular. I think many of us here felt that Manning was playing hurt later in the season.
This indicates to me that many here expect him to be better starting 2-14 than he was finishing 2014.
Of course, further aging will occur and ducks flutter.

Agree that an even bigger issue is the team the players and their psyche given that they made statements that they did not want to face NE in NE.

He's not coming back or making a comeback. He never left and is under contract. It's like saying Vince Wilfork is making a comeback or something.
That is an important point. I don't think Peyton has a chance of breaking Favre's "I'm retiring/No, I changed mind, I'm coming back" record.

That is an important point. I don't think Peyton has a chance of breaking Favre's "I'm retiring/No, I changed mind, I'm coming back" record.

We can all fervently hope not! :eek:

Denver "Receiver" Free Agents:

Julius Thomas, tight end
Demaryius Thomas, wide receiver
Wes Welker, wide receiver

Jacob Tamme, tight end
Virgil Green, tight end

I know he still has weapons, but wow! Also some big FA names on Defense...
I was listening to nfl radio this afternoon they were commenting that manning wanted a meeting with elay before he decides if heres coming back or not. One of the main topics is going to be receivers, manning won't want to come back unless he has grade A prime wideouts and TE's, no rookies or jags. Typical Satan.

I know it's a hobby around here to make fun of Peyton's one-an-dones, but there's 60 or so starting quarterbacks over the past 15 years who never even got a chance to stink it up in the playoffs. And many who only had a few chances to lose.

There's a compliment in there somewhere.

Thing is there aren't media knuckleheads touting him as being as good/better than Brady for the last 15 years. :cool:;)

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back