PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sony Michel: Getting Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
orleans darkwa would do
I wouldn't be surprised if he was toting the rock 20 times a game by Halloween.

The fragility of this positioning is concerning.

Honestly I'm less concerned with how he'll play. There's no question about his talent. I'm more interested in how much he'll play and if he can string together consecutive weeks without being rested or "managed". That injury is no joke and how much he plays as the season goes on will be telling for the longevity of his career.

For anyone interested, this piece sums up his situation pretty well.

Doctor Worried About Sony Michel's Career
I'm always amazed at Dr.'s trying to diagnose athletes they have never met, nor have any of their medical files. You can probably find some Dr. who predicted that Gronk wouldn't last in the NFL.

Again its the "hot take" mentality we live with these days. Everyone is an expert, and everyone can speculate an opinion. The rub is when those OPINIONS are reported as fact (which happens WAY too often.)

EDIT:

So, Burkhead's already at that stage in the protocol where he's cleared for everything but contact. That's good news.

Unless he got concussed in individual drills . nothing would surprise me with the way this unit is going.. ;)

I'm always amazed at Dr.'s trying to diagnose athletes they have never met, nor have any of their medical files. You can probably find some Dr. who predicted that Gronk wouldn't last in the NFL.

Again its the "hot take" mentality we live with these days. Everyone is an expert, and everyone can speculate an opinion. The rub is when those OPINIONS are reported as fact (which happens WAY too often.)
Its an opinion and a helluva lot more insightful and informative than anything else out there or anything that comes from the CIA in Foxboro.

Not any good options.

1. White and Barner the only RBs on the roster and Barner doesn't know the plays. So White could play the entire game and go with a lot of screens. I don't see him rushing for many yards and that many snaps reduces his effectiveness on passing downs.

2. Webb is on PS and knows the plays, but signing him means releasing someone else. At least then you have a back to absorb carries so White can do his 3rd down thing effectively.

I think they are being cautious with Michel returning from surgery and the thing is it takes time to build up the quads so I doubt he plays. Burkhead could play if he clears concussion protocol, which is difficult to predict.

Better chance for Michel.

My guess: Brady will rely on Gronk, Dorsett, Hogan Patterson, White, Develin and Allen. Chance they design a few plays for Patterson and perhaps even Coleman, who could be a playmaker (otherwise lacking). Hopefully Josh is more creative than I am.

Doc Flynn is wrong a lot.

While I agree with you philosophically, this is a great article with excellent general information about these injuries. He also concluded that if Michel is proactive with prehab, conditioning, and rehab, then he can likely have a good career and possibly reach a second contract, barring future injury. I found the article quite educational and refreshingly free from hot takes.

Honestly I'm less concerned with how he'll play. There's no question about his talent. I'm more interested in how much he'll play and if he can string together consecutive weeks without being rested or "managed". That injury is no joke and how much he plays as the season goes on will be telling for the longevity of his career.

For anyone interested, this piece sums up his situation pretty well.

Doctor Worried About Sony Michel's Career

I dont understand how his knee injury could be that serious, Willis Mcgahee had his knee bent into an L in the opposite direction and came back just fine from that.. what could be worse than his injury?

This was his injury for perspective:
PhonyFilthyDikkops-size_restricted.gif

I dont understand how his knee injury could be that serious, Willis Mcgahee had his knee bent into an L in the opposite direction and came back just fine from that.. what could be worse than his injury?

This was his injury for perspective:
PhonyFilthyDikkops-size_restricted.gif

Omg! that's the nastiest knee injury I've ever seen! I'm cringing!

I assume you’re referring to the piece I linked to in my post. To be fair, the author never diagnosed his injury. He was explaining how the bone on bone diagnosis that has been reported elsewhere could happen with an athlete who has already had an ACL repair. I thought the statistics he cited, ex. 3-4 times increased rate of developing osteoarthritis after an ACL repair, did a nice job of providing some context.
Honestly i don't understand how the front offie could draft a player so high with so much injury history. Its like they decided they wanted him and ignored his knee problems going back to high school.
yeah that’s the question. see Jay Ajai. 5th round pick, same diagnosis. I can only assume Michel’s talent was graded so high that it was worth the draft capital even if they only get one contract out of him. Also consider the Pats use a running back by committee approach so managing his snaps is business as usual.

Last edited:
Omg! that's the nastiest knee injury I've ever seen! I'm cringing!

He had reconstructive knee surgery and returned to have a multiple pro bowl career i believe, he was pretty good

Michel still limited - Burkhead possibly out. Not the match to be without running game..

Burkhead took a vicious helmet shot on the play they hurried to get off after the Gronk drop-catch. My guess is it happened then.

Last edited:
Burkhead plays with abandon.....Shyt happens when you do that....

Yes but this is not an opinion. Just stats.

His one ACL, sprain [back in a month] and cleanup seems pretty dramatic, but how many RBs haven't had some knee procedures? I'd like to see his analysis of Frank Gore.

The only unusual thing is he could develop arthritis which would limit his longevity

I'm all for giving him what time he needs. We're not a running back heavy team anyway. A few weeks ago, we had about 6 RBs. We had a ton of WRs before injuries hit [Mitchell expected]. On the other hand, who knew we would have a massive pass rush and one of he best looking defenses in the league [IMO].I wouldn't mind seeing Webb or someone else running around. RB has a much shorter break in time from college than WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back