PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Thoughts About the SEA-NE Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he should have, but hindsight is 20-20. I believe he wanted to leave absolutely NO time for Wilson to launch one of his deep balls in the final seconds.

In hindsight I kinda like it. It basically gave them two shots at the endzone, and a spare timeout in case they get stopped short, which they did

Some negatives:
Sony is not a great back. Flat out. I know people somehow still disagree but he is average at best.

The secondary wasn't great. Gilmore beat deep by Metcalf then uncharacteristically got into a brawl on the sideline. Jon Jones was chasing all night and that holding flag he drew on 3rd and 19 was brutal. Lockett had his way with him and most of the other corners as well.

Bentley is ill suited for the role he is in. They need a rangy LB with speed sideline to sideline and Bentley is a big old school 90's style LB. They desperately need to make a trade for someone more athletic at LB.

Yeah, I'm ready to move on from Sony. I've defended the guy because he was a stud at UGA and I've been waiting for him to put it all together here. To my layman's eye, the guy is horribly out of shape and has been since he was drafted. Comparing his frame, legs, size, even the chubbiness in his cheeks, is night and day when comparing UGA to NE. The guy was an athletic beast at UGA, but is a chubby, slow, plodder at NE. It seems he isn't doing a good job taking care of his body and conditioning. Shame.

I wouldn't worry too much about the secondary. I think that's probably the best offense (and certainly the best QB) they'll play outside of the Chiefs. I think for a future matchup, they may put Joejuan on Metcalf, and potentially move Gilmore to Lockett. Take away a few perfect passes from Wilson and the secondary wasn't half-bad considering the opponent.

100% agreed re: Bentley. Uche seeing the field will help A LOT. That said, agreed that a nice piece at LB or DL via trade would be nice.

By every official account I can find, both Uche and Collins are 6'3", but I'll admit that Uche doesn't look quite as tall as Collins. The gap isn't as big as you make it out to be, though.

That said, they're not entirely different players. They're both athletic freaks with the ability to play at every LB position and along the edge of the line. They're fast, explosive, great sideline-to-sideline closing speed, some edge-rush ability.

Of course each player has their own nuances but I expect Uche to be used similarly to Collins.

Combine numbers, which are supervised so noone can lie, say that Uche is 73" and Collins is 75.5". 2.5" height difference.

Combine numbers, which are supervised so noone can lie, say that Uche is 73" and Collins is 75.5". 2.5" height difference.
Ya I saw 6'1 and 6'3 in different places, but gotta go with the combine. Checked on his Michigan listing which was 6'2 which didn't help much other than I believe colleges do tend to give guys a little boost? All of this is fairly unimportant though, just hoping to see Uche get on the field soon.

All of this is fairly unimportant though, just hoping to see Uche get on the field soon.

I agree. Not sure why it is a point of discussion or why people use fake #s when real known true #s are easy to get.

Sony Michel is such a JAG...maybe worse than a JAG. No one was really running the ball well last night but once again he was useless.

Yeah, I'm over Michel. Comparing UGA to NE, the biggest difference I see is that the guy is horribly out of shape. I really think if he slimmed down, got his diet and conditioning right, he could be a darn good player as he demonstrated in college. Just looking at his face you can see the amount of bad weight he's put on. Anxiously awaiting Harris' return from injury. In the meantime, we should try to get Burkhead and JJ the ball as much as possible.

Sony.jpegMichel2.jpg

Michel.jpg

I have a question about McDaniels approach to play calling. I know seahawks are a gelled offense but on over 70% of their second down plays, they had 3 yards or less for FD. They call plays that work. Josh seems to call plays because “this is when a run should be called” First and goal, run gets stuffed.....3rd and 10 or longer, draw play...it’s like clockwork. My wife who knows more about the Pythagorean Theory and calls touchdowns “homw runs” said before the last play last night. “Oh they are going to have Cam run the ball”....everyone on earth knew that was coming including the hawks D......I wish he would change his approach!
i think if Cam bounces it to the outside, he walks into the end zone. It is all hindsight...what a great game played by both teams and Russell Wilson is elite.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2

Got it - thanks for sharing this. So not the 3-4" difference MSU guy was saying.

Yeah, I'm ready to move on from Sony. I've defended the guy because he was a stud at UGA and I've been waiting for him to put it all together here. To my layman's eye, the guy is horribly out of shape and has been since he was drafted. Comparing his frame, legs, size, even the chubbiness in his cheeks, is night and day when comparing UGA to NE. The guy was an athletic beast at UGA, but is a chubby, slow, plodder at NE. It seems he isn't doing a good job taking care of his body and conditioning. Shame.

I wouldn't worry too much about the secondary. I think that's probably the best offense (and certainly the best QB) they'll play outside of the Chiefs. I think for a future matchup, they may put Joejuan on Metcalf, and potentially move Gilmore to Lockett. Take away a few perfect passes from Wilson and the secondary wasn't half-bad considering the opponent.

100% agreed re: Bentley. Uche seeing the field will help A LOT. That said, agreed that a nice piece at LB or DL via trade would be nice.
I am not sure if the staff told him to bulk up or what but he doesn't look like the same back in any facet compared to his UGA days. No burst, no vision, and god forbid he make anyone miss or outrun anyone. Once we got down last night they pretty much went all Burkhead and Taylor since all 31 other teams know that Sony offers nothing as far as a pass catcher.

I am just hoping that Gilmore doesn't have a big regression from last year. He had a couple of PI's last week then this week he got torched by DK on that TD. Maybe a little nitpicky but he is held to a higher standard coming off a DPOY season. In the end of the day Russell Wilson is an amazing QB who is one of the best deep ball throwers to ever do it but 5 TD's shouldn't happen.

Yeah, I'm over Michel. Comparing UGA to NE, the biggest difference I see is that the guy is horribly out of shape. I really think if he slimmed down, got his diet and conditioning right, he could be a darn good player as he demonstrated in college. Just looking at his face you can see the amount of bad weight he's put on. Anxiously awaiting Harris' return from injury. In the meantime, we should try to get Burkhead and JJ the ball as much as possible.

View attachment 28657View attachment 28656

View attachment 28658

Whatever your feelings about Michel but saying he is chubby and out of shape is ridiculous. If he wasn't around the weight and shape the staff wanted him to have he wouldn't be playing at all. You are reading way too much into pictures of a person who is still young and transitioned from college into a pro level strength and conditioning regime.

Gilmore struggled last night, but a few of those throws were just elite, pin-point, drop-it-in-the-bucket lasers by the elite Wilson. Gilmore actually had pretty good coverage on many of them. Additionally, there were a few routes that Metcalf ran, where Gilmore ran his route for him (rather routine by Gilly), but it’s always incredible seeing it. That being said, I’m not worried about Gilly in the least. This is the NFL...players are talented & these things happen sometimes..
Let s admit Wilson was phenomenal...some throws were beauties

Whatever your feelings about Michel but saying he is chubby and out of shape is ridiculous. If he wasn't around the weight and shape the staff wanted him to have he wouldn't be playing at all. You are reading way too much into pictures of a person who is still young and transitioned from college into a pro level strength and conditioning regime.

Not so sure that's true. A guy can be passably fit without being in good shape, and due to personnel limitations, the team may feel they have no other option but to play Michel.

Am I off base? Maybe.

The guy looks pudgy and out of shape to me. Maybe the strength & conditioning team is happy with where he's at. IDK.

To be fair, Michel didn't play that much on Sunday - just 15 snaps despite the team being shorthanded at RB. Burkhead had to play 70% of snaps, which isn't ideal. Maybe they're still easing Michel back from injury, but not a good sign regardless.

Yep, and maybe even closer to 2-1/4" difference:

Whereas Collins was a legit 250 lbs, I kinda doubt that Uche played at 245 during 2019; he either decided to bulk-up for the combine, by probably close to 10 extra lbs, or it was a combination of bulk-up and lack of recent cardio activity due to his hamstring issue pre-combine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes