PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Thoughts About the SEA-NE Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy to blame the secondary for the horrible D and big scores. But, it was glaring how bad our LB's are. You can't lose HT, Collins, Van Noy - a super bowl winning LB corp - and it not make a HUGE hole in our D. Bentley is playing out of position, he's so slow and can't cover. I think Uche can help, and I'd like to see Mauluia get some reps just for his instincts. Also, our edge contain was HORRIBLE even from the starting DE's. D needs a lot of work.

Gilmore struggled last night, but a few of those throws were just elite, pin-point, drop-it-in-the-bucket lasers by the elite Wilson. Gilmore actually had pretty good coverage on many of them. Additionally, there were a few routes that Metcalf ran, where Gilmore ran his route for him (rather routine by Gilly), but it’s always incredible seeing it. That being said, I’m not worried about Gilly in the least. This is the NFL...players are talented & these things happen sometimes..

Good points, I agree with the optimism of the moment. I viewed this game as an early litmus test for Newton and the offense. I expected the offense to struggle overall but hit enough big plays to put 21 on the board. I never expected Newton to push 400 yards, or for Byrd and Harry to be this involved in the pass game. All good signs.
That is the best takeaway from this game. Not to beat a dead goat, but Brady would not be getting as much out of Harry and Byrd as Cam did yesterday. (Although, they are all we have right now besides JE11) I think we'll have a good shot against the Raiders, but hopefully getting Gunner, Harris & Allen back off IR, and Uche healthy will help a lot. Even White playing may have pushed us over the top. There is plenty to have optimism for this team going forward.

I have a question about McDaniels approach to play calling. I know seahawks are a gelled offense but on over 70% of their second down plays, they had 3 yards or less for FD. They call plays that work. Josh seems to call plays because “this is when a run should be called” First and goal, run gets stuffed.....3rd and 10 or longer, draw play...it’s like clockwork. My wife who knows more about the Pythagorean Theory and calls touchdowns “homw runs” said before the last play last night. “Oh they are going to have Cam run the ball”....everyone on earth knew that was coming including the hawks D......I wish he would change his approach!
Agree. It seems like a fake handoff, bootleg would give Cam the advantage to make the corner. As he said in postgame, he wished he would have bounced it (outside). If he had, I believe he would have out run the DE to the pylon. So disappointing.

On the last play Onemenu got his butt kicked.

It didn’t help that we didn’t have a receiver for that play.
If he’s going to be beaten so decisively, can we throw it to the rookie? We play him enough at TE.

Seattle sold out to stop the run there. Pulling a guard when the defense is crashing like that is usually disaster. #47 got submarined, #71 lost outside leverage immediately, and then you got a LB crashing the hole where the guard pulled from the right. That play had no chance.

Newton is on pace to rush 208 times this season. Obviously, he won't reach this number, but I agree that it is a bit concerning how much McDaniels is allowing Newton to run. I understand that given the state of the WRs, TEs, and Sony Michel, the coaching staff is leaning on Newton to carry the offense, but the goal here is the Playoffs. The more Cam Newton runs, the more opportunities for defenders to lay him out. One wrong hit to his shoulder or his legs and he's done for the season.

Especially the RZ. Cam has 4 rushing TDs already. Cam has averaged 5 rushing TDs in the three seasons prior to last season. Belichick and McDaniels are fully unleashing Cam the runner and again, I am wary of a bad hit, despite the fact that the two TDs he ran in last night looked clean.
Absolutely. I think we need to ease up on the qb power in these situations. More RPO, mix up who leaks out, maybe an eligible lineman wrinkle once in a while, move Cam side to side and let him make the decision.

Uche 6’1” Teddy Bruschi tall
Collins 6’4-5” with amazing broad leap numbers.
Two completely different pieces of chess.

My thoughts:

- I wrote last week we can’t judge this D against a cream puff QB like Fitztragic and we’ll see what happens against a top QB. Last night didn’t look good. I think the reality for this D is that we have some holes that need to get plugged but not sure if we have the capability to plug them. Good teams/QBs will be able to move the ball on us.

- the most glaring hole is at LB. Bentley and his lack of speed got exposed. It’s a copy cat league and we’ll see more teams trying to gets faster guys in space against him. When we went small and brought our safeties at LB they ran it down our throat. When we went big they picked on our lack of speed at LB.

- the one thing I didn’t like was our switch to zone. Our team is best suited as a man D and our zone was carved up pretty easy. When we went back to man it didn’t look much better but a few of those long plays you just gotta tip your cap to the other team. The coverage wasn’t bad, they just made the play. 9 times outta 10 on that 3rd TD the player doesn’t come down in bounds. He just made a hell of a play.

- on O, the running game went no where which is disappointing as the Seahawks are not a great defence. Michel was lacklustre.

- our passing game came to life. Seahawks play the Pete Carrol cover 3 which was a positive for our WRs. We don’t do well getting separation against man coverage but last night against zone we found the spots and Cam delivered. Edelman was a beast. He left it out there on the field. Byrd played well. Harry played decent also but it’s maddening that he can’t break the first tackle. Still, the best game he’s played since being drafted. Tough seeing Metcalf on there side make big plays while Harry catching a 5 yard in is seen as an improvement. 1st rounders are supposed to be difference makers but Michel and Harry just don’t look like they’ll be anything more than average.

- last play. I wish they would have spread them out and given Cam some options. Pass if it’s there or run if a lane opens up for him. The play they ran was way to predictable.

- my biggest takeaway from last night is this team showed heart. They were a far way from home down against a good team. They could have packed it in but they fought. If that’s the character of this team we’ll be in a lot of games.

- next week. Don’t sleep on these Raiders. They got lots of talent on O with a good running game and speed at WR. Their D is their weak link. We’lll see how they play the Saints tonight.

Uche 6’1” Teddy Bruschi tall
Collins 6’4-5” with amazing broad leap numbers.
Two completely different pieces of chess.

By every official account I can find, both Uche and Collins are 6'3", but I'll admit that Uche doesn't look quite as tall as Collins. The gap isn't as big as you make it out to be, though.

That said, they're not entirely different players. They're both athletic freaks with the ability to play at every LB position and along the edge of the line. They're fast, explosive, great sideline-to-sideline closing speed, some edge-rush ability.

Of course each player has their own nuances but I expect Uche to be used similarly to Collins.

By every official account I can find, both Uche and Collins are 6'3", but I'll admit that Uche doesn't look quite as tall as Collins. The gap isn't as big as you make it out to be, though.

That said, they're not entirely different players. They're both athletic freaks with the ability to play at every LB position and along the edge of the line. They're fast, explosive, great sideline-to-sideline closing speed, some edge-rush ability.

Of course each player has their own nuances but I expect Uche to be used similarly to Collins.

The problem is with no OTA’s, limited Training Camp, and no Pre Season it will be very tough for a rookie to get up to speed and make an impact this year.

That game was a stunningly good piece of television. One of the most action-packed Pats games I've seen. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a loss more.

...which also means that a lot of points were scored and by the opposing team. The Seahawks looked fantastic. And is was great that the Pats hung in until the final second. The defense should get better as the season goes on as past Belichick teams have demonstrated.

Did you see the replays of the plays between Gilmore and Metcalf, holy crap that was a titanic battle. They had one replay with Metcalf choking Gilmore with both hands as Gilmore tried to push him back. Metcalf is a beast!
Wilson was perfect, he is on a roll so far this year.
The Pats had a good game! They have a ways to go but it was week 2. A lot of season to play. I hope they are all like last night without the loss part.

Some positives I took away:
Cam looked good overall. Avoided the rush and made some good throws. I also like the way he handled the post game presser. He has had a reputation at times for sulking or being a front runner but he said all the right things after the game.

Byrd got involved and made a few catches.

Edelman can still get it done.

They were able to adjust the offense and put up 30 points.

In the middle:
Harry is slowly working his way into the mix. Doesn't look like a star but at this point we just need the contributions and he made them last night.

Some of the play calling/coaching. Thought the run with Burkhead on third and 4 was bad as well as the weird option play on another third down. At the same time I thought the TD pass to Jakob Johnson was a great play and overall I think Josh did well considering the running backs were useless. Not calling a timeout after the catch over the middle with around 30 seconds I thought was curious but it is hard to question Bill/Ernie on when/why they do or don't call a timeout.

Some negatives:
Sony is not a great back. Flat out. I know people somehow still disagree but he is average at best.

The secondary wasn't great. Gilmore beat deep by Metcalf then uncharacteristically got into a brawl on the sideline. Jon Jones was chasing all night and that holding flag he drew on 3rd and 19 was brutal. Lockett had his way with him and most of the other corners as well.

Bentley is ill suited for the role he is in. They need a rangy LB with speed sideline to sideline and Bentley is a big old school 90's style LB. They desperately need to make a trade for someone more athletic at LB.

I think Luuked may have spotted something. I also noticed on one occasion that Sony was stopped easily with little progress and he was thrown to the ground. (No jones please !). He turned around before he got up and was finger pointing at Elumenour , first time I have seen that in a game !! I think it was Elumenours fault on this occasion.

Probably Onwenu did not help in the last play but I am happy with him to date as he looked to be playing well at right tackle in the 4Q and kept Cam clean. Yes he is a rookie and will make more mistakes but I hope he will imporve given time.

I think Luuked may have spotted something. I also noticed on one occasion that Sony was stopped easily with little progress and he was thrown to the ground. (No jones please !). He turned around before he got up and was finger pointing at Elumenour , first time I have seen that in a game !! I think it was Elumenours fault on this occasion.

Probably Onwenu did not help in the last play but I am happy with him to date as he looked to be playing well at right tackle in the 4Q and kept Cam clean. Yes he is a rookie and will make more mistakes but I hope he will imporve given time.

Hannable also saw that play:

Unfortunately the record starts too late to demonstrate how absolutely blown that blocking assignment was. He was seriously running around in a circle like a headless chicken.

I thought Eluemunor had a couple more issues in the run play. But then of course PFF goes out and gives him the fourth highest grade on offense:

Absolutely. I think we need to ease up on the qb power in these situations. More RPO, mix up who leaks out, maybe an eligible lineman wrinkle once in a while, move Cam side to side and let him make the decision.

Absolutely, and you can bet your ass they'll have those wrinkles incorporated in due time.

That's the beauty of losing in week 2 -- there are still 15+ weeks to incorporate new looks and greater levels of detail, nuance, and sophistication into the offense. Rather save those game-winning elements for December, January, and February, rather than September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots