PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Pre-TC Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kas

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
1. I think we're gonna end up going with 4 TE's and only 4 RB's this year. We rarely use a FB except in a few certain packages. For smash mouth short yardage running, Hochstein should get reps as the lead back. In the regular offense, expect Thomas and Smith to get reps as the H-back. This role is actually perfectly suited for Thomas, and this is his last chance to put together a productive season in NE. Creating a FB from backups seems to be a great way to conserve a roster spot given how infrequently we need 2 backs.

2. I think our running game will be one of the most productive in the league. Defenses are going to be keying on the pass and our stable of backs should find ample room to run with nickel and dime D's with the safeties back deep and the DL rushing upfield out of control. I've been surprised that this has been written about as an area of weakness. We won't have any stud fantasy back but we will run for about 125 every game IMO. BJGE looks to be getting the short end of the stick. I would look to give him a little extra cash to stick on the PS like we've done in the past with Yates and Brandon Gorin and use him as the first roster replacement.

3. I'm very interested to see how the OLB situation plays out. Woods can set the edge but lacks a pass rush. Crable has the athleticism to wreak havoc against offenses that are going to be forced to throw a lot to keep up with our O. It remains to be seen how much strength he's added, though, and if he can hold his ground in the run game. If he can, he'll take over for Woods sooner rather than later. TBC is far from a stud but adequate against both the run and the pass. He should be a quality backup at both OLB positions. Redd is the obvious wildcard. He has the ideal measurables and if he can improve his technique and football skills he could make an impact later on in the season.

4. BB seems to have adjusted his mindset about his LB's. We used to be full of bigger slower LB types. The past few years we've seen an influx of slightly smaller types of backers. All of Mayo, Guyton, Lenon, Mckenzie - they are all in the 240-250 range as opposed to the 250-260. I'm guessing this is a response to the pass happy rules implemented the past few years. The system hasn't changed - it's just that BB wants more Roman Phifer and less Ted Johnson.

5. We lost Gaffney. He wasn't a burner, but rather a guy who excelled at the intermediate routes. We've replaced him with 2 burners: Galloway and Lewis. I'm curious to see how this fits into the offense. With safeties continually rotating towards Moss, maybe the strategy is to try and really burn the D on the far side.

Trying to keep it short. Maybe I'll throw in some more later...

I think they will go with 4 RBs, but only 3 TE's (at least on the active roster). I think Smith, Watson, and Baker make it, and Devree might go to the practice sqaud...I think Thomas gets cut...

5. We lost Gaffney. He wasn't a burner, but rather a guy who excelled at the intermediate routes. We've replaced him with 2 burners: Galloway and Lewis. I'm curious to see how this fits into the offense. With safeties continually rotating towards Moss, maybe the strategy is to try and really burn the D on the far side.
Hopefully it will be like having a smarter Stallworth on the other side. I realize weather and defensive adjustments factored in too, but our 2007 offense was far better with Stallworth starting over Gaffney; too bad he couldn't be trusted to be where Brady expected him. I never liked Gaffney much, he was good for a street FA but he was lacking speed and his hands were just OK. I highly doubt we'll miss him.

15. We lost Gaffney. He wasn't a burner, but rather a guy who excelled at the intermediate routes. We've replaced him with 2 burners: Galloway and Lewis. I'm curious to see how this fits into the offense. With safeties continually rotating towards Moss, maybe the strategy is to try and really burn the D on the far side.

Hopefully it will be like having a smarter Stallworth on the other side. I realize weather and defensive adjustments factored in too, but our 2007 offense was far better with Stallworth starting over Gaffney; too bad he couldn't be trusted to be where Brady expected him. I never liked Gaffney much, he was good for a street FA but he was lacking speed and his hands were just OK. I highly doubt we'll miss him.

i feel like with wide receivers we bring in that they have the trust of brady or not at all. givens, branch, and patton all commanded that trust with brady.
Glancing at 2006, reche caldwell comes in and has all tc and season to develop that rapport with brady. gaffney joins the team mid-season and by the playoffs he is favored over caldwell. In comparison, Stallworth had the same chances as welker and moss to develop a chemistry with Brady, but it didn't work out as well. I feel the same way with Watson too. hopefully galloway and lewis can fit into the 'good' category unlike guys like bethel and reche.

All they have to do is run a good route and catch the ball. that's all that needs to be asked of them. Is that so much to ask...?

Last edited:
I'm surprised you bring up #3... not hearing that much OLB talk around here in the last few months. Woods ? Not a name I read about a lot...

1. I think we're gonna end up going with 4 TE's and only 4 RB's this year. We rarely use a FB except in a few certain packages. For smash mouth short yardage running, Hochstein should get reps as the lead back. In the regular offense, expect Thomas and Smith to get reps as the H-back. This role is actually perfectly suited for Thomas, and this is his last chance to put together a productive season in NE. Creating a FB from backups seems to be a great way to conserve a roster spot given how infrequently we need 2 backs.

2. I think our running game will be one of the most productive in the league. Defenses are going to be keying on the pass and our stable of backs should find ample room to run with nickel and dime D's with the safeties back deep and the DL rushing upfield out of control. I've been surprised that this has been written about as an area of weakness. We won't have any stud fantasy back but we will run for about 125 every game IMO. BJGE looks to be getting the short end of the stick. I would look to give him a little extra cash to stick on the PS like we've done in the past with Yates and Brandon Gorin and use him as the first roster replacement.

3. I'm very interested to see how the OLB situation plays out. Woods can set the edge but lacks a pass rush. Crable has the athleticism to wreak havoc against offenses that are going to be forced to throw a lot to keep up with our O. It remains to be seen how much strength he's added, though, and if he can hold his ground in the run game. If he can, he'll take over for Woods sooner rather than later. TBC is far from a stud but adequate against both the run and the pass. He should be a quality backup at both OLB positions. Redd is the obvious wildcard. He has the ideal measurables and if he can improve his technique and football skills he could make an impact later on in the season.

4. BB seems to have adjusted his mindset about his LB's. We used to be full of bigger slower LB types. The past few years we've seen an influx of slightly smaller types of backers. All of Mayo, Guyton, Lenon, Mckenzie - they are all in the 240-250 range as opposed to the 250-260. I'm guessing this is a response to the pass happy rules implemented the past few years. The system hasn't changed - it's just that BB wants more Roman Phifer and less Ted Johnson.

Trying to keep it short. Maybe I'll throw in some more later...

Nice write-up. You are spot-on w/ #4. I think thats exactly what BB was thinking too.

2. BJGE looks to be getting the short end of the stick. I would look to give him a little extra cash to stick on the PS like we've done in the past...
He's ineligible, he makes the roster or he's gone. Taylor, Morris, and Maroney have all suffered their share of dings in recent seasons, it may well be worth carrying 5 RBs for the insurance.

3. Woods can set the edge but lacks a pass rush.
1 sack in three starts = 5 sacks for a 16 game season, not great, but not bad, and that's while he was still getting his feet under him as a regular contributor and with a slowing Vrabel on the other side. Don't count him out yet.

I very good feeling Galloway will be able to connect with Brady, just look at what he's done with just avg QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes