2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Are you on the playoff hype train?

• You know what? Why not!

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Too much has to go right for us to make it...but it's possible

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • I hate fun, and care too much about draft position to root for my team's success

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
One of the big differences between this year and 2008 is that this year, the Pats are showing up against playoff caliber teams. One could argue that the 2008 Pats inability to win enough against playoff teams was their undoing, where in 2020, the underdog Pats ability to beat playoff contenders is what is keeping them in the fight.
Pats are 4-2 against winning teams so far. They were one yard away from 5-1 and maybe with a healthy Newton against the Chiefs 6-0? Who knows. That's really good though - I believe that's better than most years lately even with Brady.

The 2008 team was done in by some atrocious defense. As you said they couldn't beat good teams.

One of the big differences between this year and 2008 is that this year, the Pats are showing up against playoff caliber teams. One could argue that the 2008 Pats inability to win enough against playoff teams was their undoing, where in 2020, the underdog Pats ability to beat playoff contenders is what is keeping them in the fight.
I don't think either the Ravens or Cards are making the playoffs. Both look to be pretenders.
Losing to the Broncos and Texans gives me much more pause on the ceiling for this team this year. I think we are just so young and and Newton is just awful.

Last edited:
Pats are 4-2 against winning teams so far. They were one yard away from 5-1 and maybe with a healthy Newton against the Chiefs 6-0? Who knows. That's really good though - I believe that's better than most years lately even with Brady.

The 2008 team was done in by some atrocious defense. As you said they couldn't beat good teams.

One minor correction: 4-3 against winning teams (KC, Buf, Sea) but 4-2 against AFC winning teams. Your point still stands, though. This team has tremendous potential, but isn't consistent. Not too shocking with such a young roster.

Reactions: sb1
One minor correction: 4-3 against winning teams (KC, Buf, Sea) but 4-2 against AFC winning teams. Your point still stands, though. This team has tremendous potential, but isn't consistent. Not too shocking with such a young roster.
Ah that's right - I forgot about Buffalo.

Another way to look at it is the Pats have played 7 winning teams in their first 11 games. The schedule has been tougher than it has been in most years. And they've been competitive on the scoreboard in all but one of them.

The 'magic' number is four, for both the Colts and the Dolphins versus the Patriots. Any combination of four Indy wins & Pats losses, plus any combination of four Miami wins & Pats losses eliminates the Patriots from the playoffs. (I'm working on the assumption that the five teams 8-3 or above will make the playoffs here).

There are plenty of games for all three teams that could easily go either way. Another loss by the Patriots does not necessarily kill their playoff chances. It is not unfathomable for Miami (or to a lesser extent the Colts) to lose three - or even four games down the stretch.

Indy's remaining schedule:
at 4-7 Texans
at 6-5 Raiders
vs 4-7 Texans
at 11-0 Steelers
vs 1-10 Jaguars

Miami's remaining schedule:
vs 2-8-1 Bengals
vs 10-1 Chiefs
vs 5-6 Patriots
at 6-5 Raiders
at 8-3 Bills

Patriots' remaining schedule:
at 3-8 Chargers
at 7-4 Rams
at 7-4 Dolphins
vs 8-3 Bills
vs 0-11 Jets

That playcall at the goal line really stings right now

We are 0-3 vs losing teams - Denver, Texans, Niners. That is why this team is what it is and our playoff chances are remote. We were 8-0 vs dump teams last year with Brady which is why we could finish 4-4 against better teams and still have 12 wins.

We are 0-3 vs losing teams - Denver, Texans, Niners. That is why this team is what it is and our playoff chances are remote. We were 8-0 vs dump teams last year with Brady which is why we could finish 4-4 against better teams and still have 12 wins.
Pats are 1-3 against losing teams and 4-3 against winning teams. We're not a bad team but definitely an inconsistent one.

Last year we were pretty terrible against good teams - well at least the offense was - and that playoff game was certainly no exception.

Pats are 1-3 against losing teams and 4-3 against winning teams. We're not a bad team but definitely an inconsistent one.

Last year we were pretty terrible against good teams - well at least the offense was - and that playoff game was certainly no exception.
5-6 is a bad team. Trying hard does not equal winning.

No it isn't. Look right below us in the standings for a bad team.
So now we are comparing to the Jets to try to feel good?

I honestly don't know if I'd prefer a nail-biting run to squeak into the playoffs - only to get embarrassed by the Titans again in the wildcard round.
Or, to go 8-8, have a better shot at a decent QB, but have that .500 stain on BB's record which will have all the haters screaming that it was all Brady.
One thing I do know - I just DON'T want PIT, KC, TB to win the super bowl. Anyone but those 3.
How were the Patriots embarrassed last year? It was a one point game until the final seconds.

So now we are comparing to the Jets to try to feel good?
You said 5-6 is a bad team. I disagreed, and showed you an example of one.

Has nothing to do with "feeling good". Most reasonable Pats fans figured 8-8 this year give or take a game and it appears that's where they'll end up.

How were the Patriots embarrassed last year? It was a one point game until the final seconds.
To be fair, the offense really was embarrassing in that playoff game.

The Browns are making the playoff this season and not the Pats. 2020 is crazier than you think...

You said 5-6 is a bad team. I disagreed, and showed you an example of one.

Has nothing to do with "feeling good". Most reasonable Pats fans figured 8-8 this year give or take a game and it appears that's where they'll end up.
I think this season has morphed completely into "feel good" mode. But look, look at how hard we tried! If only we beat those 6 teams we lost to. If we just, just could be more consistent we could be the Chiefs!

The Browns are making the playoff this season and not the Pats. 2020 is crazier than you think...
Like the Pats last year, that entire division benefited from playing a laughably weak NFC Least and a weak AFC South.

Like the Pats last year, that entire division benefited from playing a laughably weak NFC Least and a weak AFC South.
4th easiest schedule from what I've read.

I think this season has morphed completely into "feel good" mode. But look, look at how hard we tried! If only we beat those 6 teams we lost to. If we just, just could be more consistent we could be the Chiefs!
And yet Bill thought exactly the same thing after the Pats 2000 season and then after the Chiefs beatdown in 2014.

I liked what happened after those two scenarios. Has to count for something I'm sure.

Pats are a young and inconsistent team that happens to be well coached. Get rid of Bill and... well it would be ugly.

And yet Bill thought exactly the same thing after the Pats 2000 season and then after the Chiefs beatdown in 2014.

I liked what happened after those two scenarios. Has to count for something I'm sure.

Pats are a young and inconsistent team that happens to be well coached. Get rid of Bill and... well it would be ugly.
If Bill can find the QB next year or the year after then all be well. Until then it will be pretty miserable. At best we are a middler team to worst - a bottom third of the league.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back