PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what can be done to fix this (1-2 start)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He traded to improve the team with a player he thought could who could fit into the cap.

I dont think he though what he had was good enough and his crystal ball broke so he was unable to see the JE suspension and the Matthews/Britt injuries

I wouldn't waste my time engaging that troll. I'm guessing he's a jete fan.

Didn't read all of the thread. I gotta run...but:

The only people that can fix it are the coaches and players. They need to coach better, give better effort, and just take it one play at a time. Win a play. Win a series. Win a quarter. Win a half. Win a game.

Obviously you can’t keep everyone, but if players are let go you need to replace their production.

The impact of Cooks and Amendola’s departures have hurt.

Well, the Pats had a healthy Britt, Mitchell coming back from injury, and signed Matthews.

Britt got hurt at the end of June (after sowing well enough to be offered and extension).
Matthews got hurt at the end of the first week of Camp.
Mitchell never got healthy enough.

The Pats had replacements - and a run of bad luck.

That’s a good way to signal to the team we’re waving the white flag.

Trading a guy who's still underperforming after two seasons is waving the white flag?

EDIT: SEA trading Thomas could be seen as waving the white flag. I get that now.

Maybe. IDK. Seems to me that the SEA locker room might have grown tired of Thomas being such a d**k about shooting his way out of town.

Last edited:
Rowe for Thomas I will take in a heartbeat.

Well ... it would be a hefty draft pick for Thomas, then Rowe added in lieu of a 7th rounder.

I'd rather try and get Reid to work a season on a 2-year deal that's dirt cheap for 2018 with a hefty option bonus for the start of 2019.

If Belichick can recover from this sorry state of affairs and make the playoffs, he will
be the greatest coach of all time regardless of the sport.

First of all the team should unite and feel they are able to win. They obviously know they screwed up and I believe they will do their best to get on the right track to win next game. Next game with Fins is gonna be crucial from the psychological point of view. The win will guarantee better atmosphere in the locker room and make players believe they are collective.Lack of talent is another story.

Yup. No one is trading for McCourty with his cap hit.

It will be interesting to see what can be done with him this offseason. He’s slowing down and has a cap hit of $13m next year. $4m dead cap.

DMac, Gronk and Brady could all see 1-year extensions in the spring that lower their respective 2019 cap hits by converting salary to signing bonus.

The "McCourty slowing down" thing has been a bit overstated.

Well, the Pats had a healthy Britt, Mitchell coming back from injury, and signed Matthews.

Britt got hurt at the end of June (after sowing well enough to be offered and extension).
Matthews got hurt at the end of the first week of Camp.
Mitchell never got healthy enough.

The Pats had replacements - and a run of bad luck.

None of those guys are even close to the talent that Cooks is right now. He was replaced but not by anyone close to his talent level

If there’s a trade anywhere before the deadline, it has to be for a DT. Preferably one that can win one on one battles and clog the toilet. That alone will go a long way toward improving the defensive side of the ball. I don’t think Shelton is that guy unfortunately.

DMac, Gronk and Brady could all see 1-year extensions in the spring that lower their respective 2019 cap hits by converting salary to signing bonus.

The "McCourty slowing down" thing has been a bit overstated.

It will be interesting. McCourty will be 32 next year. How much cap will Bill be willing to allocate to him?

It will be interesting. McCourty will be 32 next year. How much cap will Bill be willing to allocate to him?

Hopefully not 13 million.

Bill can save a bundle next year cutting McCourty and signing Jordan Richards
away from Atlanta to replace him.

None of those guys are even close to the talent that Cooks is right now. He was replaced but not by anyone close to his talent level

It isn't about "talent" or a 1-to-1 replacement for the "deep threat". It's about having enough viable targets who can, collectively, catch passes at all levels - and then McD re-configuring the offense to optimize the use of those targets.

If the Pats had gone through Camp and into the season with just two of Britt, Matthews and Mitchell healthy - hell, if even one of them had been able to go - we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents