PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slater wants to coach

I think his wife having a career in NE and obviously his fame is based in NE, so it only makes sense for him to stay in the area.

I bet he is a HC in the NFL one day. Bright guy, basically grew up in the NFL. Might be the only father-son duo in the HOF one day too.
He'd have to be a very high end successful HC to make the HoF. I don't think there's any chance he makes it as a player. Love the guy, but I don't see it.

On the whole coaching salary issue, his earning potential as a player will soon be $0 as he gets too old, so there's not really a comparison there. The choice is to either coach or do something non-football, which also will be a pay cut.

I'd have to imagine everyone, from team mates, to FO, to fans, would be perfectly delighted to see Slater stick with the team.

He'd have to be a very high end successful HC to make the HoF. I don't think there's any chance he makes it as a player. Love the guy, but I don't see it.
Steve Tasker from the Bills had 7 pro bowl selections and is not in yet.

Slater has 10 pro bowl selections.

Both deserve to be in IMO. Time will tell I guess.

If Hester gets in as essentially an exclusively ST star, then there’d be a case for Slater for the HOF. Same with Tasker I think. I think all three are deserving based on the impact their performance had on their team’s successes. I feel the same way about Troy Brown and Tedy Bruschi but I can’t see it happening for either unfortunately.

I’d be willing to bet that if a coach were given a choice between Hester, Tasker, Slater, or Brown for their team, they’d take Brown given his superior versatility, but the HOF is not like that, it’s about exceeding the norms in particular ways. When Hester was back there to return a kick or punt, coaches would routinely alter the way they did things. I don’t think that happened as much for Tasker, Brown, or Slater.

Last edited:
Yeah, the guy is pretty emotionally stable. I suspect he's got $10M put away, and in low risk investments and/or real estate, and an owned home.
He and the wife can probably squeeze by on $800K a year until retirement.
Not really the point here, but $10M is not enough for $800k/year withdrawals. Half that (4%) is closer to a safe inflation-adjusted withdrawal rate.

On the money thing: Like Chris Hogan he's married to a doctor.

Not really the point here, but $10M is not enough for $800k/year withdrawals. Half that (4%) is closer to a safe inflation-adjusted withdrawal rate.

Is there a twelve step program for compulsive financial advice disorder?

I have a Slater blue game day jersey. I am waiting to see what he decides on and ditto for McCourty. Both should be making a decision within 5 weeks (3/15 FA).

My game day jerseys are always the longest tenured player on the roster. Right now that is…in order: Slater, McCourty, Cardona, and Andrews. I am torn between Cardona/Andrews should Slater/DMac hang em’ up…. Cardona technically was a Patriot longer than Andrews just because he was drafted…but I feel that Andrews has played far more snaps to date….and he is one of my faves too…hmmm……

Anvil hands. :rofl:
adam ruins everything hands GIF by truTV
Slater must share some genetics with **** Stuart - Dr Strangeglove, aka Stonefingers- whom oldtimers will recall from the pre- Impossible Dream Sox years.

A simple 8% rate of return would support $800k annual withdrawals without touching principle. I’d expect that to be sustainable. Target 10% ROR to add a smidge to principle for offsetting inflation. Doesn’t seem unreasonable. Even if principle erodes a bit it’s not bad, still enough for a lifetime and I’m not a fan of giving heirs money they didn’t earn.

A simple 8% rate of return would support $800k annual withdrawals without touching principle. I’d expect that to be sustainable. Target 10% ROR to add a smidge to principle for offsetting inflation. Doesn’t seem unreasonable. Even if principle erodes a bit it’s not bad, still enough for a lifetime and I’m not a fan of giving heirs money they didn’t earn.

Guys, the 800k comes from the combined salaries of the two Slaters (NFL coach and physician). They don't need to touch principle or gain for a couple of decades at least. If you want to help them, make some investment suggestions. ;)

cool, he can teach gunners to run out bounds on purpose and get flagged and the art of missing tackles

Slater must share some genetics with **** Stuart - Dr Strangeglove, aka Stonefingers- whom oldtimers will recall from the pre- Impossible Dream Sox years.

Yep, and they traded a good young catcher - Jim Pagliaroni aka Jimmy Paggs - to the Pirates for him...

I have a Slater blue game day jersey. I am waiting to see what he decides on and ditto for McCourty. Both should be making a decision within 5 weeks (3/15 FA).

My game day jerseys are always the longest tenured player on the roster. Right now that is…in order: Slater, McCourty, Cardona, and Andrews. I am torn between Cardona/Andrews should Slater/DMac hang em’ up…. Cardona technically was a Patriot longer than Andrews just because he was drafted…but I feel that Andrews has played far more snaps to date….and he is one of my faves too…hmmm……
I've got one jersey Randy Moss (#81) I wear to training camp and during special games on TV. I wore it to training camp during the Hernandez (#81) thing and I was getting looks I guess by fans that didnt see Moss name on the back.

Can't think of many guys who are more well respected, articulate, passionate, or have a better attitude than Matthew Slater.

He seems like the type of guy who would thrive in whatever profession he decides to pursue post-football.

Patriots would be lucky to have him on their staff. IMO

Mathew Slater could become a great coach. He’s a HOF caliber player as a special teamer. He’s a leader, he knows the game, and he obviously works his @ss off. It may not be this season, but the Patriots should always have that opening for him.

cool, he can teach gunners to run out bounds on purpose and get flagged and the art of missing tackles

Can't think of many guys who are more well respected, articulate, passionate, or have a better attitude than Matthew Slater.

He seems like the type of guy who would thrive in whatever profession he decides to pursue post-football.

Patriots would be lucky to have him on their staff. IMO

Mathew Slater could become a great coach. He’s a HOF caliber player as a special teamer. He’s a leader, he knows the game, and he obviously works his @ss off. It may not be this season, but the Patriots should always have that opening for him.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back