PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Situation to Monitor) Saints COVID outbreak; potentially could have a bye week before playing the Pats

I thought teams would have to forfeit??

So we are thinking the fix is in? Do you know how much of an absolute lunatic you’d have to be to take this situation and automatically make the assumption that the league will use it to get players on this team sick just because they hate the Patriots?

So we are thinking the fix is in? Do you know how much of an absolute lunatic you’d have to be to take this situation and automatically make the assumption that the league will use it to get players on this team sick just because they hate the Patriots?

Standard level lunatic for the Board.

Depends on if they're vaccinated or not. If they have 1 person in that group not vaccinated, then yes.

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work. From what I understand, if it's deemed that an outbreak occurs involving unvaccinated players, that removes enough players that (even with PS elevations) they don't have enough players to field a gameday roster, AND the NFL can't make reasonable accommodations for a reschedule, they'll forfeit. I imagine this kind of thing will happen more towards the end of the season when there aren't upcoming bye weeks and time left to shuffle things around. The last thing the NFL wants is to lose gameday revenue, so the idea that they'll just toss out forfeits on a hair trigger isn't realistic, IMO.

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work. From what I understand, if it's deemed that an outbreak occurs involving unvaccinated players, that removes enough players that (even with PS elevations) they don't have enough players to field a gameday roster, AND the NFL can't make reasonable accommodations for a reschedule, they'll forfeit. I imagine this kind of thing will happen more towards the end of the season when there aren't upcoming bye weeks and time left to shuffle things around. The last thing the NFL wants is to lose gameday revenue, so the idea that they'll just toss out forfeits on a hair trigger isn't realistic, IMO.

Yeah, it is like that...maybe not exactly.

My understanding is that nothing will be rescheduled this year. All teams will have to suit up and play with whoever they can suit up...if not...then forfeit a game.

A forfeiture is unlikely to happen since all teams in fact have 69 players with at least 85% of them vaccinated (85% * 69 = 58 players and we only need like 45 to suit up...plus an extra emergency QB/OL man I think).

I fail to see where someone said Goodell gave the Saints Covid with the hopes of them turning around and getting NE sick. Goodell is certainly behind other shenanigans, though, like using officials to shape games for they're desired outcomes.

The refusal of having a booth umpire, similar to how all the other leagues do it today, is the evidence of this. You have a multi-billion dollar league that keeps, what should be hard and fast rules clear, nice and murky to be able to cover their tracks.

It's also why the worst possible call is made against NE when something is close, like Stevenson's "fumble" even though to the naked eye it looked like he was on his back when the ball dribbled out on the ground.

I fail to see where someone said Goodell gave the Saints Covid with the hopes of them turning around and getting NE sick. Goodell is certainly behind other shenanigans, though, like using officials to shape games for they're desired outcomes.

The refusal of having a booth umpire, similar to how all the other leagues do it today, is the evidence of this. You have a multi-billion dollar league that keeps, what should be hard and fast rules clear, nice and murky to be able to cover their tracks.

It's also why the worst possible call is made against NE when something is close, like Stevenson's "fumble" even though to the naked eye it looked like he was on his back when the ball dribbled out on the ground.
The OP made that insinuation twice.

My understanding is that nothing will be rescheduled this year. All teams will have to suit up and play with whoever they can suit up...if not...then forfeit a game.
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thursday that the NFL sent a memo to its clubs stating that if a game cannot be rescheduled during the 18-week schedule due to a COVID-19 outbreak among unvaccinated players, the team with the outbreak will forfeit and be credited with a loss, per sources informed of the situation.

These days, that’s a pretty high bar to clear. You take a good look at the Pub lately? Holy Jesus.

I was just thinking The Pub needs more heat.

I thought teams would have to forfeit??
That was nothing but an empty threat from the League office. There will be no forfeits this year. Just like last year, they will figure out a time and place to play all 256.... or, uh, I mean 272.

The OP made that insinuation twice.
Feel free to post that. Twice? It's a real concern based on the NFL's horrible protocols. Goodell is not a leader. He's a loser. All he had to do was use Article 46 to say every team has to be vaccinated and all stadiums need to show a vaxx card upon entry. This is already a thing with certain events in the country right now.

Many teams are running some bad shops right now. He said nothing about Goodell encouraging them to go out in Jax on a Saturday night to party so they can hope to catch Covid to affect the Pats.

The bottom line is, even if vaxxed, if you still behave like a moron, if your wife does during the day as you're out there making millions or hundreds of thousands a year, you can catch Covid. Many morons out there don't comprehend the situation in the world right now.

What he is describing is a VERY real scenario. Has nothing to do with Goodell unloading Covid in NOs locker room to try to harm the Pats. He/she never even said that.

Last edited:
The article says it was 1 player. Maybe more on Wednesday, we will see. So far 1 player positive Covid test - vaccinated or not, the games will be played.

Feel free to post that. Twice?
Okay. The very first post in the thread then this to follow it up…

Ya they'll forfeit week 2 but i'd imagine week 3 would still go ahead

You’re new here, but the OP is a part of the tinfoil hat brigade. The fix is always in. The league is always looking to screw the Patriots. The three titles in the last decade thing? Irrelevant, I guess.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back