PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Signing UFA's

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We didn't address CB or WR or OL in the draft. I suspect that we will address these positions by signing free agents. For now, we can presume that both Gilmore and Jackson are staying, but who knows? I presume that we are OK at OT with Herron and Onwenu as backups.

CORNERBACK
Richard Sherman
Jason McCourty
Casey Howard

WIDE RECEIVER
Byrd
???

IOL
???
We need 1-3 additions to compete for backup position(s).

We’ve got 6 corners if you count Jalen Mills. Gilmore, Jackson, Jones, Williams, Bryant and Mills. Maybe, best in NFL

We’ve got 6 corners if you count Jalen Mills. Gilmore, Jackson, Jones, Williams, Bryant and Mills. Maybe, best in NFL
1) Mills is our backup free safety, and will likely start in 2022.
2) Gilmore could be traded at any time, and is on the last year of this contract.
3) Jackson is on the last year of his contract, after there was no long-term contract.
4) Jones is a fine nickel back.
5) Williams and Bryant have shown little.

If we can count on our top 4 for the year, then we are fine. Personally, I would like to add Sherman.

OL: Karras is a great piece as the 4th IOL and Herron seemed solid enough last year to feel comfortable about as a backup tackle. Throw in the versatility elsewhere to move pieces like Onwenu around and it’s shaping up nicely. Can see them throwing in another guy to compete following upcoming cuts or later point in time. Cajuste is obviously a huge wildcard but supposedly healthy. Maybe him or Sherman will emerge? With finite resources needing to be spread across all positions, the 8th OL spot should hopefully take care of itself without having to invest too much focus.

WR: The signings of two higher end guys at TE sort of trickles down in filling depth needs at WR from a receiving option standpoint. This isn’t like the last couple years where TE was nearly void. That said, can see them throwing another WR or two at the wall and seeing if anything sticks. Similar to Byrd, Inman, Britt, Lee, etc when looking at more recent years. Would love to see someone like Zuber take a growth leap. Or Gunner from a receiving standpoint. Simply signing Byrd would add some relief if he merely has to be the 4th/5th option at WR and 6th-8th receiving option on the team if factoring in Smith, Henry and White. Hell, he was the 2nd receiving option, period, for certain games last year.

CB: If assuming the current slate and no moves take place, they look great from a 2021 view. Gilmore, Jackson, Jones is as good of a package as any other top 3 DBs across the league. From a “best guys on the field view”, maybe the additions at LB will cut down on such a high emphasis on 6 (or even 7) DBs being out there as it felt like last year. Obviously opposing offenses on a given week and the passing nature of the league will continue to have them deploy strong use of this when necessary. It won’t be Bentley and Hall (at times last year) being the only cards available at LB this year though. Having Hightower and Van Noy back adds the flexibility to maybe not just dig into the DB bag quite so much. Back to CB, adding that vet guy to round it out sounds appealing if they don’t find confidence in guys like Williams or Bryant. Not sure how much Sherman has left past name recognition. Sure would be interesting though seeing what Bill could do with him, even if he is more limited at this stage.

Last edited:
CB: Back to CB, adding that vet guy to round it out sounds appealing if they don’t find confidence in guys like Williams or Bryant. Not sure how much Sherman has left past name recognition. Sure would be interesting though seeing what Bill could do with him, even if he is more limited at this stage.
I have much more confidence in Sherman and McCourty.

OL: Karras is a great piece as the 4th IOL and Herron seemed solid enough last year to feel comfortable about as a backup tackle.
I'm fine with Karras and OK with Herron. That makes 7.

We are allowed to have 8 OL's active. We usually carry 9, sometimes 8 or 10, plus a couple on the Practice Squad.

If we are OK with Onwenu and Herron as being our 3rd and 4th OT's, then we have a need at IOL.

IOL BACKUPS IF THE STARTING OT's ARE HEALTHY
1) Karras
2) ???

IOL BACKUPS IF ONE OT IS OUT (AND ONWENU MOVES TO OT
1) ???
2) ???

OG GUARTD BACKUPS IF ONE OF THE CENTERS IS OUT
1) ???

2) ???
===========
All we have for the backups spots are Toran and our 6th rounder. I expect us to add two.

At CB I am not a fan of Williams who is displaced by Mills, Bledsoe and Duggar IMO but I like Bryant and from the signings and picks I think they might too.

We are allowed to have 8 OL's active. We usually carry 9, sometimes 8 or 10, plus a couple on the Practice Squad.

If we are OK with Onwenu and Herron as being our 3rd and 4th OT's, then we have a need at IOL.

1) Karras
2) ???

1) ???
2) ???

1) ???

2) ???
===========
All we have for the backups spots are Toran and our 6th rounder. I expect us to add two.
Cajuste is the wildcard on the line. Don't be surprised if General Sherman proves to be a keeper, from what I'm seeing. Could be this year's Onwenu, but he hopefully won't have to prove it.

Cajuste is the wildcard on the line. Don't be surprised if General Sherman proves to be a keeper, from what I'm seeing. Could be this year's Onwenu, but he hopefully won't have to prove it.
So, Cajuste might replace Herron or be our 4th OT. That doesn't change the fact that Karras is our ONE backup for 3 positions.

1) Karras
2) ???

1) ???
2) ???

1) ???

2) ???
===========
Yeah expect also that they’ll throw another guy or two in the mix. Cheers to hoping Sherman can have the showings of someone who can fill that spot. What I don’t see is having 2 additional IOL on the active roster past Onwenu, Andrews, Mason and Karras. One more on the active roster, with another on the practice squad should do.

At CB I am not a fan of Williams who is displaced by Mills, Bledsoe and Duggar IMO but I like Bryant and from the signings and picks I think they might too.
Presuming that we don't trade Gilmore or Jackson, there is no crisis this year. And we have our nickel in Jones.

However, you like Bryant over Sherman or McCourty as our 4th corner?

I'm fine if Bryant beats out Williams. He might be develop enough to be a major contributor in 2022.

I'd say that if healthy, Cajuste pushes Cunningham off the roster and General Sherman either makes the roster as the 9th OL or goes to the practice squad and gets moved up if one of the top-four IOL gets hurt.

Edit: Or what Brick27 posted while I was typing.

Yeah expect also that they’ll throw another guy or two in the mix. Cheers to hoping Sherman can have the showings of someone who can fill that spot. What I don’t see is having 2 additional IOL on the active roster past Onwenu, Andrews, Mason and Karras. One more on the active roster, with another on the practice squad should do.
We seem to be in agreement. We have 4 IOL's. We need one more for the 53, and at least one more for the Practice Squad (probably one OG and one OC). Sherman and Toran might fill one of these spots, or not.

As of now, if there was an injury to any of these 4 IOL's, who do you think would Belichick trust to be active on Sunday as the backup IOL?

1) Mills is our backup free safety, and will likely start in 2022.
2) Gilmore could be traded at any time, and is on the last year of this contract.
3) Jackson is on the last year of his contract, after there was no long-term contract.
4) Jones is a fine nickel back.
5) Williams and Bryant have shown little.

If we can count on our top 4 for the year, then we are fine. Personally
So, Cajuste might replace Herron or be our 4th OT. That doesn't change the fact that Karras is our ONE backup for 3 positions.
Owenu stepped in and played RT very well. Don’t necessarily need 4ot’s

Owenu stepped in and played RT very well. Don’t necessarily need 4ot’s
OK, Onwenu is the 4th OT, making 6 OL's. The CBA thinks we need 8 active OL's. Who are the other 2, and who is the inactive 9th?

I would like to bring Byrd back and see what he can accomplish when moved down the chart. Would love it if he could be a Stallworth kinda guy for the team.

We seem to be in agreement. We have 4 IOL's. We need one more for the 53, and at least one more for the Practice Squad (probably one OG and one OC). Sherman and Toran might fill one of these spots, or not.

As of now, if there was an injury to any of these 4 IOL's, who do you think would Belichick trust to be active on Sunday as the backup IOL?
They could probably benefit from a more solidified 8th OL, sure. This would be a guy who’s potentially expected to be the 3rd C and 4th or 5th G option depending on circumstance. They seemed to be dabbling with the idea of a more C specific option in Woodard but it didn’t work out. Maybe they’ll give it another shot. Mason, Onwenu, Karras and Wynn can play guard. Brown, Wynn, Onwenu and Herron can play tackle. We’ll see what happens. Take a look at the 8th OL option for teams across the league and it’s not exactly glamorous. I have faith the Pats will have a suitable option that they feel comfortable with.

OK, Onwenu is the 4th OT, making 6 OL's. The CBA thinks we need 8 active OL's. Who are the other 2, and who is the inactive 9th?
Brown, Owenu, Andrews, Mason, Wynn
Reserves
Karras C/G
Herron T
Sherman G/T
If we carry 9, not a certainty. Cajuste

Cajuste is the wild card! Two years without playing football has definitely hurt his development.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back