PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast XXIV: Why not RB Adrian Peterson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so it's late, and maybe I am overly tired- too much Revis over the last few days. I was reading some articles around the NFL and came across some stuff about Adrian Peterson. I can already anticipate everyone's objections, and that's why I'll lay out my case here.

First, Peterson traveled to NY today to meet with the Vikings ownership... word is that he really wants to get out of his contract or be traded to get a fresh start.

In my opinion, Adrian Peterson is one of maybe five non-QBs in the NFL (Revis being another) who can truly impact the outcome of a game and whose talent far exceeds all others at his position. The other players I'd put here are Gronkowski, Calvin Johnson, and JJ Watt. *Of course, I do realize absolutely that Peterson may no longer be as good as he was in 2013, but if he's close to that, he's a top-5 offensive player in the NFL. I remember when Moss was brought in and there were doubts about his age and he was coming off a down year; well, look what happened with the extra motivation and fresh start under Belichick.

Now, for the objections I see coming, I'll answer them in advance:

We need defense! Peterson will hardly help our losing Revis; our offense is all set.

We need value and impact players, preferably another major game changer who can affect the Patriots entire gameplan in 2015. Think about the type of clock control, balance, and better protection for Brady a guy like Peterson would add. Bottom line is, if the players aren't out there to fix the secondary, no sense in reaching for someone who can't do it. The answers on that will have to come later on. Right now, there may be a player who can make a gigantic impact, and whether on offense, defense, or special teams, I think we should go for it.

Belichick doesn't believe in high-priced running backs and likely wouldn't pay more than a fistful of quarters for the position.

I don't think that's true. I think the issue has more to do with very little separation between a "top running back" and an "average running back." A lot of this is system-based with blocking schemes and gameplans a major factor. With Belichick it's always about value; there is rarely any value in the high paid running backs considering you can usually get 80% of their production from a draft pick at a fraction of the cost. However, I've made my thoughts clear on this, which is that Peterson is in a class of his own and can single handedly beat teams.

Peterson is almost 30 years old and on the downside of his career.

True he is 30, but an important factor here is that he just sat out almost an entire season. The guy should have fresh legs; he's an athletic freak of nature and can probably play, even at his position, longer than others. Corey Dillon was 30 when the Patriots traded for him; Marshawn Lynch is 29 and still in his prime (like Peterson, he is a big, bruising back who is tough to tackle.) Peterson has about the same mileage as Lynch with just over 2,000 carries. By comparison, Emmit Smith had over 4,000 carries and LaDainian Classonson had over 3,000. No reason to think AP is running out of gas.

Wouldn't the Patriots need to take on a huge cap hit to get Peterson?

The Patriots would almost certainly need to restructure Peterson's contract, and clearly it would take a willing party (Peterson) to want to do this and make it work. After seeing Revis thrive in New England, Peterson may see a year in Foxborough as a career resurrecting move. The Patriots do have quite a bit of cap room now, though.

No way Kraft would bring in Peterson after the Aaron Hernandez fiasco. The Patriots are still in damage control mode; they don't need a child abuser to go along with a murderer to stain their franchise.

I don't have a great rebuttal for that one. Obviously that is an organizational decision, not necessarily a football one.

Have away....

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
I applaud the thought you put into your post and its structure. I am sorry that my answer will be short but what it boils down to is that in the current NFL no RB is worth the money that AP will get.

Nice job presenting your case. When I read that AP and his wife didn't want to return to Minn I thought what about the Pats. IMO worth looking into.

I applaud the thought you put into your post and its structure. I am sorry that my answer will be short but what it boils down to is that in the current NFL no RB is worth the money that AP will get.

Especially not on a team with Brady. You can't use a guy like that to his potential when Brady is throwing it 50 times and winning.

Is your OL built for running or passing? Very few are built for both.

Rather not root for the POS.

I like it. BB is always open to buying low on players with a high ceiling that other teams won't touch.

Needs to be at a bargain price point. 1 year deal for him to rehabilitate his image in the league, on his best behavior. He can help us to a repeat SB win, and then sign for the contract he actually deserves. And we get a 3rd round compensatory pick at the end of it all. What's not to like?

I totally agree with the mindset that once there is no other top CB to replace that mercenary Mevis we shouldn't reach for anyone that is not in the same league, all top CB's are locked up and we are drafting at #32.

I wanted Browner back but I'm not very good with schemes, if the thought that without Revis he is a bad fit (he was signed last year a few days after Revis so maybe BB had this thought from the beginning) then I'm ok with this move and that might be a signal that BB will move the focus to a new direction.

Definitely, an above average running game with solid additions on the OLine can help tremendously, I loved how we dominated the clock in the SB with those long drives. if that can beat Seattle it can beat anyone.

From a talent perspective, it seems many have forgotten just how dominating AP can be. Probably the best running back since Barry Sanders if he's back to his 2012-13 level.

With legitimate respect to the effort you put into your post...

NO.

I was going to just post "NO" but your post deserves more than that:
1. Don't want that child beating trash on the team I love. Hernandez was enough of a black eye.
2. He makes most sense for a 1RB style team. Our offense is not that at all.

So I don't like it from a player or personnel perspective. But maybe BB would. ROFL I'm only 50/50 with understanding his moves until seeing a product on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back