PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shula: "What's (Bill) Belichick got?" About a hundred?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I read it is like this:

It is unrealistic the career wins will be broken any time soon, because even the best coach out there has quite a lot of ground to gain. Like a previous poster said: 19 years at 10 wins a season or something foolish like that.

Howzabout coaching 16 more years at 12 wins/year :)

What is it with Dolphins guys sounding so arrogant all the time. In his time it was easier to stay in a job, the pressure to win now is enormous and most owners get very twitchy. Longetivity and stability is almost non existant. When he coached it was a game, sport is now a business and ten times harder for coaches.

What the Dolphins did was great, respct to ya but you done it when Jesus was still healing lepers. Instead of talking about Bills winning record or crying your eyes out for asterisks how about respecting who the best coach and team is of this era or STFU.

Last edited:
The Dolphins spend a lot of time living in the past, talking about their "glory days"....

The Dolphins spend a lot of time living in the past, talking about their "glory days"....

No chit. I remember the morning after SB 39, some Phins freak was talking smack on the Planet. I told him, "Guy, your team hasn't even been in a Super Bowl since Reagan was still president, so shut your hole." And he did.

Don Shula wears Depends.

I took it as a backhanded compliment (which, considering Shula is a supremely arrogant egotist, iis as close as he can manage). I read it as, "Belichick is the best coach in the game right now, and even his win total doesn't begin to come close to mine."

Then again, if Belichick could manage to influence the Rules Committee like Shula and Polian, then maybe he'd have more career wins...

Maybe he's just still mad about that snowplow... ;)

I think he's mad because NFL films shows that video on a regular basis, and the plow is on display at Patriots Place... :)

Shula can have ALL the wins -- I'll take Super Bowl wins over number of wins any damn day! :rocker::cool3:

Gwedd said:
I think he's mad because NFL films shows that video on a regular basis, and the plow is on display at Patriots Place...

Why would Don Shula give a rats @ss about the snowplow game?

Ya'll talk as if the Dolphins didn't knock you guys out of the playoffs a mere 27 days later. lol

12/12/82 -- at New England 3, Miami 0
01/08/83 -- *at Miami 28, New England 13

They finished that season strong too !

Oh wait.

Don Shula is very annoying.

Somebody please send him a letter letting him know that it's not 1972.

I don't like attacking fellow Patriots but shut up and have a bit of respect for a 79 year old man who is a living legend.

I personally believe that Bill Belichick is the greatest coach that ever lived but that doesn't take away from what Don Shula accomplished during his career. Its a good natured joke if a little competitive. The man would never have achieved what he did if he wasn't competitive. And if you read the whole article you have got to respect the man for going over there and visiting the troops at this stage of his life.

I don't like attacking fellow Patriots but shut up and have a bit of respect for a 79 year old man who is a living legend.

I personally believe that Bill Belichick is the greatest coach that ever lived but that doesn't take away from what Don Shula accomplished during his career. Its a good natured joke if a little competitive. The man would never have achieved what he did if he wasn't competitive. And if you read the whole article you have got to respect the man for going over there and visiting the troops at this stage of his life.

Respect goes both ways...nobody can dispute his accomplishments and records on the field but he can still lose the respect of fans because of what he says about colleagues especially one who is still coaching and has a legitimate shot at his record and longevity.

Respect goes both ways...nobody can dispute his accomplishments and records on the field but he can still lose the respect of fans because of what he says about colleagues especially one who is still coaching and has a legitimate shot at his record and longevity.

Its a competitive joke/jibe, a bit of both. Thats what it is to be competitive, its great to see that he is still like that even at his great age. The man wasn't having a go at BB, the fact that he is the only coach he mentions shows that he rates him very highly.

Respect goes both way alright, and any fool berating a man with his longevity in coaching, and life is not worthy of any respect.

Its a competitive joke/jibe, a bit of both. Thats what it is to be competitive, its great to see that he is still like that even at his great age. The man wasn't having a go at BB, the fact that he is the only coach he mentions shows that he rates him very highly.

Except he doesn't rate him highly, and has demonstrated that before as mentioned regarding his "Spygate" related comments. He singles him out for a reason, it wasn't "competitive joke" it was a calculated reply to the reporter's question about BB or current coaches.

Respect goes both way alright, and any fool berating a man with his longevity in coaching, and life is not worthy of any respect.

Respect for his feats and respect for the person are two different things.

I get uneasy when there are a lot of posts trashing a guy like Shula in a personal way (you can say whatever you want about his coaching or his teams). Shula is arrogant and I just don't like the guy, but he's also one of the greatest HC's ever to walk an NFL sideline.

Has he said some aggressive things about the Pats, a long time rival? Of course he has. What do we expect? He's a competitor. You don't think that BB will have some pretty juicy things to say about other teams and coaches when he retires and writes his book? You don't think that folks on other boards will embarrass themselves by ripping him for it? Let's not play their game.

Last edited:
You don't think that BB will have some pretty juicy things to say about other teams and coaches when he retires and writes his book?

I'll be first in line at Barnes & Noble or wherever the day that book is published! :D

I'll be first in line at Barnes & Noble or wherever the day that book is published! :D

So too, I guess, will Eric Mangini and lot of folks who know that BB has the goods on them. A big bucks book needs big bucks dish, and I'm looking forward to this one. I'll even buy the hardcover before it's discounted!

Shula is still the enemy. He was way back then and he still is now. However he meant it, I still back TWO B! Rings are the ultimate victory in this game. Coach two B will be wearing toe rings when his career is at sunset. Thats all that matters here, period!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference