PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we trade Thuney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also if we resign him I am sure this years cap hit will be lower than the $15 mil he is getting now

He cannot be re-signed until the end of the regular season anymore, hence his cap hit is 14M this season whether at the Pats or on a team which trades for him.

To judge by his play the last two years, he is well worth keeping this year and try to extend him next off season where the Pats get some needed room with the cap.
I'd rather keep Thuney than keeping Mason based on what they have shown last year if you go for a cap release. Cannon is also one option to be released/traded after this season if he does not perform better than last year.

Regarding a trade, if you don't get a 3rd for him you don't ship him out, period. You'll get a comp 3rd next year so either you get more value (in picks or an "very good" player which can help you out immediately) or you keep him as he is an all-pro level G.
There are many other options to free up cap sapce if needed, Thuney is way back on this list because of his quality and value he adds to the team.

Last edited:
Never thought of this scenario, but I'd love it...

What am I missing isn't he a really good player, and an important piece of our OLine puzzle? Not sure why we would want to trade him. Is it that guards are not that important in the big picture?

What I was missing was he is making over 14 million next year. Ok I'm on the trade him wagon now.

I wouldn't trade him for anything that requires a longer commitment financially.......this team is gearing up for this year but if it turns out worse than expected, I would not want anything from impacting the cap going into next year.

I'd rather replace Thuney when we actually have someone to replace him with.

And keep him out the Division is BBs biggest concern.
You could trade him then have enough cap to make a play for Beckham.
I don’t think anyone is worried about a guard staying in the division. Defensive coordinators aren't exactly staying up late at night trying to gameplay on how to not let a guard beat them.

I don’t think anyone is worried about a guard staying in the division. Defensive coordinators aren't exactly staying up late at night trying to gameplay on how to not let a guard beat them.
Then why reports coming out that BB traded him to keep him away from the Jets

Then why reports coming out that BB traded him to keep him away from the Jets
They could be true reports but I just don't see Bill paying a guard $15 million dollars so the Jets can't have him.

I don’t want a damn mid round pick.

We can have a great line with him on board this year. Just keep him.
To add on top of this: we would literally get a Comp pick for the guy if he walks, likely equivalent to a 3rd rounder.

Unless we really want to clear out cap space for some other extravagant move, there is no logic behind trading him off for a mid rounder.

I'd only deal him at this point if that money was going to be used on someone like an OBJ or another stud player who might be out there. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like that's a realistic outcome.

Never thought of this scenario, but I'd love it...

I get the end of this twitter thread was about Yannick but it started with OBJ.

Trading Thuney for OBJ would create 500k and he'd be on a year-to-year deal for about 14M APY with only 1M dead money (via roster bonus). I don't really see why the Browns would trade for a IOL on a franchise tag though. Same holds true for the Jaguars imo.

That being said even without Thuney I think Odell would be an interesting target due to his contract. Assuming he would not insist on a reworked contract -- which is a huge assumption -- you'd get a damn good WR just entering his prime for below market value while having almost no dead money involved.

Interesting to say the least.

I get the end of this twitter thread was about Yannick but it started with OBJ.

Trading Thuney for OBJ would create 500k and he'd be on a year-to-year deal for about 14M APY with only 1M dead money (via roster bonus). I don't really see why the Browns would trade for a IOL on a franchise tag though. Same holds true for the Jaguars imo.

That being said even without Thuney I think Odell would be an interesting target due to his contract. Assuming he would not insist on a reworked contract -- which is a huge assumption -- you'd get a damn good WR just entering his prime for below market value while having almost no dead money involved.

Interesting to say the least.
He is Tight with Cam and OBJ expressed his love for BB to Cam makes too much sense since we can’t draft a good WR and Jules is tight with OBJ.
What about Thuney and a Second to Cleveland for OBJ Njoku and a 5th

He is Tight with Cam and OBJ expressed his love for BB to Cam makes too much sense since we can’t draft a good WR and Jules is tight with OBJ.
We’d go from the most boring offense to watch to one of the most exciting with that move.

I wish.

As far as I understand there is not reason for the Browns to be interested in Thuney (or anyone else for that matter). Injuries could change that but given Thuney's situation I very much doubt that.

Given OBJ's pretty favorable contract I'd assume a 2nd round pick would be the starting point for any negotiation.

I guess this needs repeating for you, so pay attention this time: Cleveland has a Pro-Bowl-caliber LG already...goes by the name of Joel Bitonio...you know, the guy Bill should've drafted instead of Dum Easily...he makes a lot of money too...So in conclusion, Thuney to Cleveland IS NOT EVER, EVER HAPPENING.

I guess this needs repeating for you, so pay attention this time: Cleveland has a Pro-Bowl-caliber LG already...goes by the name of Joel Bitonio...you know, the guy Bill should've drafted instead of Dum Easily...he makes a lot of money too...So in conclusion, Thuney to Cleveland IS NOT EVER, EVER HAPPENING.
I hear you but it’s the Cleveland Browns they call them the Brownies and their fans where bags over their heads for a reason.
I’m not discounting the possibility they move Thuney to Right guard.
I know this trade has a extremely low chance of happening and more than likely the trade is Thuney to say Denver. we get a mid round pick which we then would have to use picks to acquire OBJ who I badly want in New England.
However the Chris Conley dream isn’t completely dead in the water yet.

I'd, happily, change that 2nd into a 1st rd pick and package it along with Thuney for that trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes