PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we sign Ryan Fitzpatrick?

WHPats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I know he’s 38 and he’s either feast or famine, but he can throw the ball and I think you could get him for a year or two as the “bridge” option.

Plus I so badly want him to sign with the Patriots so he completes the tour of the AFC East. When was the last time a player played for every team in a division? Especially a QB!

Only as a last option in June like Cam last year. I mean he would be an upgrade to Cam but who wouldn't. But hopefully we can do better and/or more long term.

I know he’s 38 and he’s either feast or famine, but he can throw the ball and I think you could get him for a year or two as the “bridge” option.

Plus I so badly want him to sign with the Patriots so he completes the tour of the AFC East. When was the last time a player played for every team in a division? Especially a QB!

Put down the glass pipe, son.

Haha I can’t, Newton’s been so bad I’m just aching for a QB that can actually throw

I think that one of the reasons that BB has stuck to Cam, even though he's been atrocious, is that BB has vowed to avoid what he had in Cleveland, the problems that come with having a revolving door of QB's.

Hopefully we'll have something better next season.

I think that one of the reasons that BB has stuck to Cam, even though he's been atrocious, is that BB has vowed to avoid what he had in Cleveland, the problems that come with having a revolving door of QB's.

Hopefully we'll have something better next season.
That’s a good point, I hadn’t thought of it from that angle.

He could be part of the mix, though he is not the best choice IMO. He's kind of the ultimate "in a pinch," change-of-pace guy. Could be great; could be disastrous. I like his work ethic and his qualities as a teammate. I think he is vastly superior to Cam in this regard and would thus be a far better mentor for any newbie than Cam.

I think the mix will be one vet acquisition who might or might not work out, one draftee who might or might not work out. The former could be Fitzpatrick, though I I would prefer someone with better long-term potential as a starter: many possibilities have been disussed here.

Sum it up: maybe, but there are better options because his long-term upside is, based on past patterns, limited, which puts greater pressure on the young draftee's working out, a somewhat unlikely prospect, given where the Pats will draft and the team's extensive needs at other positions.

This rebuild is not a one-year job, obviously, particularly given our GM's history of failed drafts.

I wonder what kind of offer Miami might present Fitzpatrick to retain him as Tua insurance.
The Fish have $25-33 mill in estimated cap space to spend......and some sweet Texans draft picks to fill holes.
Being a highly overpaid #2 could be an appealing gig for the old codger.

Bill does have one thing going for him....his proven word that he won't bench even the worst performing QB in decades

Why?

Fitzpatrick has shown that his ceiling as a starter on a good team is 10 - 6. If Belichick the GM is able to build a functional passing offense this offseason, and our ceiling winds up competing for a wild card berth and 2nd place in the division, then the offseason was a failure.

If we're gonna risk another season as a non-contender, I'd rather do it with a QB piece that has long-term potential. Newton HAD that potential, if only he was healthy and could regain his mid-decade form. It didn't work out, but it was worth a shot. I'll take a Brisset or Mariota over Fitzatrick 11 times out of 10.

No, i do not think would be the right solution

as a backup sure, but thats one $$$ backup, he wont sign to be a backup anyway

Nah, id rather focus on long term solutions. We already wasted one year on a bridge, which is fine given we weren’t a sb caliber team even with a good qb. While fitz is better than cam he’s not taking us close to a sb, and around the age where he could become useless at any random point.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back