PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we get a top RB in FA?

RBs get injured very frequently so spending $$$ on an UFA is risky. But Pats have $$ this year to take risks.

I love Austin Ekeler as a receiving back.
I think Stevenson is over rated
Rham is far from being overrated to say the least. He's been playing behind a mediocre line, a terrible offense, and bad coaching. He's one of the league best backs at least a top 10 back in the league.

Short answer is no. This isn’t the 1990’s.

Pats need to focus on QB, WR and OL.
The patriots should chase the talent in FA not the need. That’s how you end up giving the bag to C+ players.

There is no OL worth giving money to in the FA class other than our own Onwenu and the FA receiver class could end up being only Ridley.

There is a ton of talent at edge rusher and RB. If Sneed becomes available, I would give him the bag.

I would definitely go after Pittman or Ridley. But I wouldn’t over extend myself by giving bad contract to average players just because we need receivers.

AVP wants to run the ball. There is talented RB in this class. It makes sense to get after some of them.

In my opinion, outside of our owns guys, we should prioritize those targets in this FA class:

- Sneed if available
- Pittman or Ridley
- Burns or Allen
- Swift or Ekeler

The patriots should chase the talent in FA not the need. That’s how you end up giving the bag to C+ players.

There is no OL worth giving money to in the FA class other than our own Onwenu and the FA receiver class could end up being only Ridley.

There is a ton of talent at edge rusher and RB. If Sneed becomes available, I would give him the bag.

I would definitely go after Pittman or Ridley. But I wouldn’t over extend myself by giving bad contract to average players just because we need receivers.

AVP wants to run the ball. There is talented RB in this class. It makes sense to get after some of them.

In my opinion, outside of our owns guys, we should prioritize those targets in this FA class:

- Sneed if available
- Pittman or Ridley
- Burns or Allen
- Swift or Ekeler
Agreed with everything you've said. I'd add that we could also seek a trade at CB.. supposedly jaire Alexander is unhappy in GB and a draft day trade for him is possible. He'd be amazing with gonzo. He's a physical press man corner. Your also right that AVP wants to run, I believe his run concepts are alot more diverse and keep defenses guessing as it involves the WRs as well. I'm absolutely all In on Ridley as well . We could be in on 2 prime WRs this offseason

Of the available WRs I'd be happy with Ridley and Hollywood brown.

Agree. QB/WR/TE/OL free agent options aren't good. Guys worth pursuing are being tagged or negotiating to stay. Pats installing a new scheme, so find an elite back that you can use to build your system, while the QB room gets developed.
I luv this song and I know that you do as well.

I always think that draft and FA should be approached like how investment funds approach money allocation for different investments. Part of that is knowing there are value dislocation in the market and playing accordingly.

To me draft should be about picking the positions that are either hard to get in FA or too cost prohibitive (e.g. LT, QB, DB) and FA should be about picking unloved positions (e.g. RB) or those we suck at drafting (e.g. WR).

That said there is an amazing number of very good to great RBs. Given that we don't know if we will have a good QB, I think we should get a great RB for relatively cheap in FA that can be 40% of our offense who will give you guaranteed production and help take the burden off of whoever we choose at QB.

Just look at list of available RBs. I think we can secure high production at $10MM or so which is less than 4% of the cap. IMO it's a no brainer. Even if we push to $12MM, it's still nothing relative to the value an elite RB can bring us especially if we go rookie at QB.

We should get a #2 RB and a 3rd down RB

The cost shouldn't be much.

Besides, Stevenson will be a free agent after the season.

I would love to see Barkley or Jacobs to team with Stephenson

Still need an OL to help, but I like both of these guys. Both are 3 down backs

Its maybe not up to date but Patriots.com has....

Elliott
Harris
Hasty
Rham (reserved Injured listing)
Vaughn (Practice squad)

Should be a couple at least arriving for for Camp ??

Its maybe not up to date but Patriots.com has....

Elliott
Harris
Hasty
Rham (reserved Injured listing)
Vaughn (Practice squad)

Should be a couple at least arriving for for Camp ??
Elliot is a free agent.

Rham is our starter.

The others will be in camp.

Not necessarily a RB, although I wouldn’t mind having our RB being able to rely on a Barkley, Jacobs, Eckler type of back.

My dream is the 49ers trim payroll to get under the cap and release Kyle Juszczyk. He’s a ****ing beast and imo one of the best full backs of the last 20 years.

- Sneed if available
- Pittman or Ridley
- Burns or Allen
- Swift or Ekeler

Good list. I wish we could get a ball hawking free safety too. Use void years to spread the cap hit and spend more for younger studs on 3 to 4 year contracts.

They have to spend that money somewhere and the OT and WR market isn't that good. Get a top RB for a few years.

We definitely need a stud 3rd down back.

- Sneed if available
- Pittman or Ridley
- Burns or Allen
- Swift or Ekeler

I would look at some different players, but I agree with the overall concept of going after the best players over overpaying to fill needs. You fill needs with the middle tier free agents while looking to upgrade the next chances you get. And this years Draft pairs nicely with free agency in that it is really strong where free agency is weak. You can get your QB , an OT or 2, and a WR or 2-3 in this Draft, and RB, TE, and defensive players I free agency. You can also get lesser priced OL in this free agency, but the Best players are at RB, DT, and Safety. I don’t like the free agent WR’s at all.

I would be happy if we get Saquon Barkley of course Rham probably wouldn't be happy but Barkley is waaayy better. That said in this game you need atleast two capable RBs.

Depending on the market, either one might be there for a lot less money than in years past.

I always think that draft and FA should be approached like how investment funds approach money allocation for different investments. Part of that is knowing there are value dislocation in the market and playing accordingly.

To me draft should be about picking the positions that are either hard to get in FA or too cost prohibitive (e.g. LT, QB, DB) and FA should be about picking unloved positions (e.g. RB) or those we suck at drafting (e.g. WR).

That said there is an amazing number of very good to great RBs. Given that we don't know if we will have a good QB, I think we should get a great RB for relatively cheap in FA that can be 40% of our offense who will give you guaranteed production and help take the burden off of whoever we choose at QB.

Just look at list of available RBs. I think we can secure high production at $10MM or so which is less than 4% of the cap. IMO it's a no brainer. Even if we push to $12MM, it's still nothing relative to the value an elite RB can bring us especially if we go rookie at QB.

I think the Patriots should go out and find the best blocking/third-down pass-catching free agent back on the market and bring him in to add another blocker to support the rookie QB and be a reliable safety valve.

I do not know who that might be, but a Kevin Faulk, James White, Tony Collins type back who is a trusted partner to the QB to make the right decisions about blitz pickups and being in the right place to bail out a young QB is a huge deal.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back