PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the NFL add more teams?

thecore762

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The sport is very popular and every year they are seeing huge profit, I think it would be a good idea adding more teams and expand the playoffs even further.

I think the Players association might go for it since it will create more jobs.

What do you guys think?

Not falling for it.

Not a huge fan of possible new teams

I see the potential risk for a London franchise

32 is a pretty sweet number. I think it’d be weird.

How about teams in London, Frankfurt, Mexico City, Anchorage, and Birmingham.

32 is a pretty sweet number. I think it’d be weird.

How about teams in London, Frankfurt, Mexico City, Anchorage, and Birmingham.

To me it is clear that the main way for them to increase TV revenue to the point where having additional franchises would make more money for each individual owner is the international market. Otherwise good luck convincing owners that their piece of the big money cake will now be divided by e.g. 38 instead of 32.

It also comes with the added benefit that the Sports broadcasting act wouldn't apply to those teams and the league could use Saturday freely as they like.

From a financial point of view I think this would be the most sound approach. But logistically it is a nightmare. Between making players move to e.g. Europe, different labor laws applying to teams outside and most probably many more hurdles it might be more of headache than many will want to deal with.

I feel like the international game series is as good as it will get when it comes to increasing international revenue.

No, the NFL shouldn't, but they will because of money.

To me it is clear that the main way for them to increase TV revenue to the point where having additional franchises would make more money for each individual owner is the international market. Otherwise good luck convincing owners that their piece of the big money cake will now be divided by e.g. 38 instead of 32.

It also comes with the added benefit that the Sports broadcasting act wouldn't apply to those teams and the league could use Saturday freely as they like.

From a financial point of view I think this would be the most sound approach. But logistically it is a nightmare. Between making players move to e.g. Europe, different labor laws applying to teams outside and most probably many more hurdles it might be more of headache than many will want to deal with.

I feel like the international game series is as good as it will get when it comes to increasing international revenue.
I think it’s a mistake to add teams. I threw out ridic cities on purpose. But, the league is amazing at making $ despite - not because - of their decisions.

The nfl doesn’t even need ONE team in LA...

I think it’s a mistake to add teams. I threw out ridic cities on purpose. But, the league is amazing at making $ despite - not because - of their decisions.

The nfl doesn’t even need ONE team in LA...

I got what you were trying to do. But honestly some of those international cities were the only way the NFL could potentially increase revenue enough to make it worth dividing the whole pie by more than 32.

I don't really think more teams are necessary anyhow.

Mexico City, Toronto, London could work since the time zone is not too far out.

Nope. Don’t need to dilute the talent pool across the league.

No they shouldn't

32 teams is basically perfect. 16 teams/conference, 4 teams per 4 divisions. Easy sensible scheduling.

Even from a money making perspective adding more teams is not really a winner.

A large amount of money(majority? vast majority?) is made from tv revenue. Adding more teams would not meaningfully, if at all, increase tv revenue.

Especially given the current COVID-19 situation the owners would be crazy to increase the number of teams.

Honestly the only city that makes sense at all would be London. At that is because it would allow the NFL to expand to foreign markets which might increase interest and drive more tv revenue.

I don't think there is a city in the US you could add a team to and get a worthwhile increase in NFL interest.

Mexico City, Toronto, London could work since the time zone is not too far out.
Mexico City and London would create a lot of problems with players not wanting to go there. Mexico City is reasonably close but London is way too far.

There's no way they can squeeze another team into that Great Lakes area. Toronto would work only if Buffalo relocated there.

I hope they never add teams from outside the US. This is our game!:cool:

Yes, they should. There is plenty of demand in the US. Add another team to each division.

San Antonio
Portland
Salt Lake City
Albuquerque
Mobile
Bay Area (second team)
Chicago (second team)
New York City (another team besides the Giants)

No.

If anything they should euthanize a few.

Nominations anyone?

Jets and Colts could be flushed down the toilet without me losing a second of sleep

I hope they never add teams from outside the US. This is our game!:cool:
Since your avatar is Mel Gibson, an Aussie, why not put a team or two down under? The NFL could lay claim to covering the whole world and Australians would probably take to American football given their love of rugby.

no, the talent in the sport has been watered down too much as it is

Not adding an international team would greatly ease my xenophobia.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back