PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should K'neal Harry transition to TE?

If BB knew what he knows now maybe he holds Berrios another season on the practice squad or otherwise... but he didn't. Berrios didn't become a good player until year three and a great special teams player until year four. We can pretend he was good early on but he wasn't.

And the competition didn't involve Gunner initially, it was between Berrios and Riley McCarron in 2018. Berrios and McCarron were clones athletically, both guys were were really fast slot guys but fumble machines in camp and preseason, they dropped passes, they dropped punts and kicks. McCarron cleaned up his act up by the end of preseason and made the regular season roster... week one he goes out and fumbles a return. Career over. Cut. Berrios had already been put on the IR (Foxboro flu) at that point.

The next offseason Berrios was the same unreliable player in camp and preseason a couple/too many times, even if he showed flashes... so they cut him. Gunner was a good football player, regardless of position as a rookie. Gunner played relatively mistake free, played offense, defense and special teams. He caught the ball, made good blocks and tackles, he made smart decisions. He was a good football player.

Gunner came along in 2019, Berrios goes to the Jets in 2019, works on his game and improves over three seasons there. He becomes serviceable in year three, then really good in year four. He's a free agent, we should sign him now... bring him back like they re-signed Chung after he went to Philly and learned how to defend the pass. But Berrios wasn't the player then that he is now in year four, and there's not a lot of patience for 6th round picks on a championship contender. He should thank the Pats for the big diamond encrusted ring he received in 2018.

Gunner is a better punt returner and Berrios is a better kick returner. Berrios may keep improving and surpass Gunner as a punt returner, but as of now he's blah and he's an okay but improving slot receiver on a bad offense. The kickoff is getting phased out and if some player proves to be good at it, teams won't kick to them... it's a dying art. You can't roster everybody. But if BB could do it all over again, he probably would have held onto both.

The blocking for the 2021 Patriots on special teams was really poor. The offensive line blocking only improved because they were experienced vets across the board, former Scar guys. But the execution for the entire team was really bad at the bookends of the season. If Gunner didn't repeat his explosive punt return numbers it's largely due to that. I don't get the Gunner hate. He makes tackles and returns the ball for positive yardage. He played the 7th most special teams snaps on the team and made as many tackles as Slater.

And yes N'Keal should transition to TE... but for some other team.
From what I remember Berrios was on the roster with the Foxboro Flu his rookie year and then next year it was him vs Gunner for the kick return job. I think Gunner looked like the better kick returner that preseason but they both weren't great receivers from everything I remember reading so it makes sense that they went with Gunner over Berrios. That being said I don't really remember seeing much from Gunner as a receiver and we still haven't seen much so maybe their initial evaluation was correct and it is the development that is the problem. Either way I feel like we really needed that shifty little "get open quick" guy to develop in the slot behind Edelman for a couple years. Meyers has played well in the slot but doesn't seem to have the same skillset Edelman and Welker did as Meyers seems to be a little bigger and slower. I wouldn't mind Berrios coming back since I cant imagine he would cost a fortune. A shorter term answer could be another potential Jets cast off in Jamison Crowder who seems to produce when healthy but the Jets seem like they couldn't wait to bury him on the depth chart.

From what I remember Berrios was on the roster with the Foxboro Flu his rookie year and then next year it was him vs Gunner for the kick return job. I think Gunner looked like the better kick returner that preseason but they both weren't great receivers from everything I remember reading so it makes sense that they went with Gunner over Berrios. That being said I don't really remember seeing much from Gunner as a receiver and we still haven't seen much so maybe their initial evaluation was correct and it is the development that is the problem. Either way I feel like we really needed that shifty little "get open quick" guy to develop in the slot behind Edelman for a couple years. Meyers has played well in the slot but doesn't seem to have the same skillset Edelman and Welker did as Meyers seems to be a little bigger and slower. I wouldn't mind Berrios coming back since I cant imagine he would cost a fortune. A shorter term answer could be another potential Jets cast off in Jamison Crowder who seems to produce when healthy but the Jets seem like they couldn't wait to bury him on the depth chart.
I believe if the Pats ink Gunner to a lengthy extension that he'll magically begin to contribute in the passing game. If the Patriots pay you, they play you... that's been the rule. Until then I think they're hiding him on special teams.

I also believe too much is being made about the weapons not being enough. The passing attack ranked 25th in attempts, they simply didn't pass a lot. Early in the year the blocking was atrocious, they had penalties, players dropped passes or fumbled at inopportune times. All that being said, the offense still scored the 6th most points in the NFL. At no point was the offense dialed in and functioning at a high level consistently, this should improve as the Mac and the unit improves.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back