PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

shaq officially done for the year

I am fine with JO in there..he has been a blocking machine and played great game 1

And how long is JO going to stay healthy? He already has a banged up wrist - and as good as he's played, he's only managed 7 rebounds through 2 games.

The news that Shaq is out for the year is not a surprise, but it just makes the Perkins trade that much more infuriating. Danny explicitly said that they made the trade b/c they thought the team played better with Shaq in there. If he thought Shaq was going to be healthy for the full playoffs, then he really was working from terrible assumptions.

I just don't see how this team can get through Miami-Chicago and whoever win the West without Shaq.

That's bad news for Celtics fans, if true. J.O. has only looked as good as he has in the last two games because you guys have been playing the Knicks. Against Miami, Chicago, and possibly Orlando, he's going to have trouble. Still, though, he's been able to set effective screens to free Ray Allen. In a sense, what you lose in paint presence, you gain in Ray Allen becoming an offensive three point threat. The only question will be whether that will be enough to take the Celts through the East and deep into the playoffs. Personally? I'm not counting them out yet.

That's bad news for Celtics fans, if true. J.O. has only looked as good as he has in the last two games because you guys have been playing the Knicks. Against Miami, Chicago, and possibly Orlando, he's going to have trouble. Still, though, he's been able to set effective screens to free Ray Allen. In a sense, what you lose in paint presence, you gain in Ray Allen becoming an offensive three point threat. The only question will be whether that will be enough to take the Celts through the East and deep into the playoffs. Personally? I'm not counting them out yet.
Don't include Miami in the list of teams with competent big men in the paint Kontra. Chicago and Orlando will trouble the Celtics that said. Everyone in the West will be problematic if the Celtics win out. They give up to many rebounds and that's been problematic since 2009.

Last edited:
I don't get the talk about J.ONeil only looking good due to the Knicks opposing center. J.O. has looked good on defense, with an emphasis on blocked shots. I don't see any center on Miami that is going to send shivers down J.O.'s spine. Noah in Chicago? Why, because he's going to score a lot? There are only three playoff teams which can dominate us at center and two of them are in the West.

I don't get the talk about J.ONeil only looking good due to the Knicks opposing center. J.O. has looked good on defense, with an emphasis on blocked shots. I don't see any center on Miami that is going to send shivers down J.O.'s spine. Noah in Chicago? Why, because he's going to score a lot? There are only three playoff teams which can dominate us at center and two of them are in the West.

Dampier in Miami scares me :rofl:

Don't include Miami in the list of teams with competent big men in the paint Kontra. Chicago and Orlando will trouble the Celtics that said. Everyone in the West will be problematic if the Celtics win out. They give up to many rebounds and that's been problematic since 2009.

Once again, what the Heat have in the paint right now is better than what the Celts currently have. That's why I included them in the list of teams that the Celts will have trouble with. On top of that, the lack of any sort of physical and competent presence in the paint allowed the Heat's penetraters, James and Wade, relatively easy access to the hole.

Last edited:

Rony Turiaf might possibly be among the most terrible centers in the entire league. It's no surprise that J.O. has been able to have his way with him. He did the same thing to lesser centers with the Heat as well. Think about this: the Celtics think so much about Jermaine O'Neal that they'll most likely do him the service of having him come off of the bench, effectively losing a starting role, and making a 40 year old Shaq (who is out of basketball shape and is an injury waiting to happen) the starter.

Dampier in Miami scares me :rofl:

I don't think he's seen a minute of play so far in the Philly series.

That's great news for the Celtics. I'm not sure if he's going to be able to make it through an entire series without getting hurt, but I hope he does. I'd rather the Heat play the Celts at full strength.

Once again, what the Heat have in the paint right now is better than what the Celts currently have. That's why I included them in the list of teams that the Celts will have trouble with. On top of that, the lack of any sort of physical and competent presence in the paint allowed the Heat's penetraters, James and Wade, relatively easy access to the hole.
Who? The Heat don't have one big man who is comparable or at least equal to anyone on the Celtics tall roster.

C'mon man.. seriously.

For me, the bolded part is the larger issue - and is 100% true. Unfortunately.

Watching the OKC game the other nite, I was reminded what a good job Perk does of protecting the paint from penetration, and punishing players for said penetration. He drew a (BS) flagrant call, but it sends a message.

Our major problem since the Perk trade has been defending the paint - not just defending the big men, but even moreso penetrating guards. If you notice the way the C's have their frontcourt play D, especially Rondo, it's designed to keep them out of the paint and let them stay on the perimeter to rotate to shooters and get out quickly on fast breaks. As well as protect their little PG from a beating. This means that the 4 & 5 spot on the C's are responsible for stopping a guy from D Rose from owning the paint. When we had Perk, that was not a problem.

Now, it is.

JO will not provide that presence to the extent that Shaq will - this is why the Celts need Shaq back, without question.

Last edited:
Who? The Heat don't have one big man who is comparable or at least equal to anyone on the Celtics tall roster.

C'mon man.. seriously.

You're right. The Celtics tall roster has been so dominant that they were able to mow down the Knicks, sans Amar'e and Chauncey Billups. Yes, seriously. Jermaine O'Neal S-U-C-K-S. His being unbelievably soft and not being able to make a shot (I think he went 9-44 from the field in the Celtics series last season) when he was getting all the open looks was one of the biggest reasons for the Heat getting pounded last year. He was the MVP in that series for the Celtics and he wore a different uniform. Give me a 7 footer who can grab rebounds and shoot from the field, thus stretching out the defense for said penetraters, over J.O. any day of the week. Give me Dampier in the paint over Big Baby in the paint. I'd take Shaq over anybody... but then I'd do a facepalm as he's being helped off the court again.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back