PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Shaq Mason traded to the Bucs

If you want to commit 30 million (20 million guaranteed) based off a very small sample size when he was getting forced the ball 9 times or more a game (because there was no one else to throw to), Go for it. He’s not getting 9 touches a game in Tampa.
He might get that until Godwin is back and in form.

As much as I love Shaq. Don't like the move. I'm not worried. We're a run first team and Mason is a top 5-6 RG, top 10-12 ish overall. So it's not easy to shallow but there's absolutely a plan.

We have to have something planned for Onwenu and absolutely are bringing in another OL. There's more than a few that could step in day one for cheap money in the draft if we want to invest a top 50-60 pick.

I have a feeling we're about to make some moves and feelings will change ....

I wonder if they move Wynn to guard and sign a tackle.

Confused Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+
I got roasted for suggested this lol

Aside from getting a late 5th (almost 6th) for a top 5 Guard, I'm more concerned with the losses along the O-line for a 2nd yr QB:

Lose both starting Guards
Possible loss of starting RT
Lose O-line coach
Lose QB coach
Lose OC

That's a hell of a lot of re-do for a QB that was just getting in sync with the offense. Replacing the most exp. veteran of the OL will create a ripple effect on communications and chemistry.

Now we have to rely on Fat Matt & Judge to make it all happen despite neither having the experience running the offense. That's my concern.

This move makes no sense lol

If we had let him walk in FA, we might have got a higher compensatory pick higher than a 5th rounder

im mad. Mad as hell
You mean if we kept him for 2 more years, we would have gotten a 2025 3rd rounder?

Any

Joe Thuney was a 2nd rounder
Shaq himself a 4th
Ted Karras a 6th
Andrews Undrafted
Stork 4th.
Koppen 5th I believe.
Stephen Neal was undrafted
Brian Waters undrafted (not a Pats pick, but one of the better guards they've had in BB's tenure).

Only first round guard they've taken is Mankins, and that was at 32. There are a handful of positions I trust them to restock longterm no matter where they're picking, and guard is one of them. Whether one they draft is ready to start in 2022 is still a gamble of course.
I would agree about the trust in them restocking Guards if Scar was here. I still believe but am a bit more skeptical now.

Mason couldn't have played better for us. Sad to see him go, but if letting him and Karras go is the cost of securing 2 good tackles, it's a good move.

It's better to have bad guards with good tackles and a good center to help them out, than to have bad tackles out on an island.

That's assuming we figure out the tackle situation. We'll see what happens.

I’m shocked at how low the compensation is. A 5th rounder? Same with Mankins only netting a 4th plus a throw in. Shouldn’t a starting offensive lineman who is still playing reasonably well net something other than a day 3 pick?

Mankins had high cap numbers and only lasted two years. That was not a good trade for Tampa Bay.

Mason had a so-so season last year for pretty big bucks.

I wonder if they move Wynn to guard and sign a tackle.
I like this thinking. I think a lot of people undervalue Owenu's poor performance at guard last season. Brown at left, Owenu at right, see if Wynn can play left guard.

I have some simple advise for Mac Jones.

Mac, call your insurance agent and buy as much life, accidental death and dismemberment (ad&d) and disability insurance as your wallet can afford.

Ps: because you currently have the life expectancy shorter than the time it takes lulu to give Krafty job a happy ending, you might want to get married this summer and then freeze your seamen so your wife can carry on your line after the funeral.

Mac, call your insurance agent and buy as much life, accidental death and dismemberment (ad&d) and disability insurance as your wallet can afford.

Ps: because you currently have the life expectancy shorter than the time it takes lulu to give Krafty job a happy ending, you might want to get married this summer and then freeze your seamen so your wife can carry on your line after the funeral.

It's a safe bet Mac Jones takes no cues, simple or otherwise, from folks who can't spell ADVICE. :whistle:

I can’t understand this given the Karras contract, I mean the money for Mason is Karras money. Guards aren’t getting any cheaper. On the open market Mason gets 13-14m

You mean if we kept him for 2 more years, we would have gotten a 2025 3rd rounder?
Or a 4th rounder, plus and more importantly, one more year of a great G protecting our rookie QB

Yall acting like 30 Is something outrageous... i bet he will be getting 10M+ on his next contract

Is free agency over and the draft? Let's see what the roster looks like in a few weeks.

I truly give up acting like I have any clue what BB or the Pats do. Not angry, just….
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I can’t understand this given the Karras contract, I mean the money for Mason is Karras money. Guards aren’t getting any cheaper. On the open market Mason gets 13-14m
Masons salary is double what karras first year cap will be.
It seems to me they felt onwenu can step in at RG for 6 mill
less and do pretty much as well. I think they don’t see onwenu as a T and didn’t like him in the left. Karras’ are easy to find.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back