PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Shaq Mason traded to the Bucs

A 5th... is this mainly a cap space saving or am I missing something?

Has to be, and I'm guessing Onwenu is getting another crack at guard. Question will be what they do with the extra space. Lot of free agency left.

the pats can create 30 million in cap by cutting Anderson & Guy and restructures. I don’t get it.
Neither do I but I'm sure the kool aid drinkers get it. For a 5th Rounder really not even a 4th??

What issues? Am I missing something?
The whole line had problems last year, Mason wasn’t really an exception although he seemed more consistent than most. Just spitballing.

Anyway, explains the quick James Ferentz resigning…………

Not a ton; saves about $7m against the cap. That, plus only a 5th, makes me think the Pats had issues with his play last year.
Perhaps Belichick doesn't want to pay a guard $7M a year.

Also, many of have thought that RG was Onwenu's natural position. Onwenu could be a top RG for many years.

If Scar were here, we'd have no issues. We'd just expect that Belichick would find inexpensive guards (sometimes off the street mid-season), and Scar would coach them up.

Belichick has chosen this time to rebuild the line. He can choose how much to allocate to guards and how much to allocate to tackles.
============
Finally, we have $20M of cap money easily available through restructures and decrease the cost of a punter. Folks here want to use the same cap money over and over again. $20M can only go so far in signing or trading for OT's, CB's and WR's.

Last edited:
So lets get this straight

No Offensive Coordinator ... Check
No Offensive Line ... Check
No #2 let alone #1 WR ... Check

Well on the bright side I guess Fat Matt and Joe Judge can't mess up if theres no one to play those positions...

The whole line had problems last year, Mason wasn’t really an exception although he seemed more consistent than most. Just spitballing.

Anyway, explains the quick James Ferentz resigning…………
Ferentz was signed to compete for the spot of backup center, a position he has held before.

Last edited:
@captain stone's reaction to this:

excitement GIF

Perhaps Belichick doesn't want to pay a guard $7M a year.
Could just be that. They traded Mankins to the Bucs 8 years ago when he was still the team’s best lineman even if wasn’t at his peak.

Can anyone explain why the pats are protecting 2023 cap space with Mac, Barmore & Judon signed longterm? They aren’t going to be extending much if any of the 2019 draft class either.

This approach is bizarre.

My evening (here is 9.22 pm) is not so good now...

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back