PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Shaq Mason traded to the Bucs

Good for Tom. Bad for Mac

Perhaps Belichick doesn't want to pay a guard $7M a year.
Then you better hope you have a good rookie waiting or solid first year contract player or you aren't getting quality guard play.

This by all means Is an effective downgrade at his position.

I dunno…. I had read the rumblings about teams inquiring. But, this isn’t what I wanted to read today.

Worst move
We need 2 new o line starters and they better be reliable
Onwenu needs to step up as well
When you look at other contracts in this year FA period for Guards Mason‘s hit was ok

This must be a cap move before a bigger one.

Has to be. Big loss for the OL

The Pats don't seem to have problems finding interior linemen, even in the middle rounds of the draft. I wouldn't panic until we see what other moves come. That said, even if we assume Onwenu moves to guard, we're still one short there, so another move is coming. If not an established vet, then a "floor" guy to keep draft flexibility.

It is quite funny he's been more reliable and productive, yet he gets traded over Wynn who's been on IR every year, more expensive and not very good.

wow, this is a joke, right? they got rid of Brady to keep guys like Mason...I thought a rookie QB contract allowed you to keep pro bowl guards....Bill clearing cap room to give the punter a raise? perhaps sign a backup long snapper?

Thats a suprise, adds to our list of needs. Did Mason’s play fall off that much this year? Pretty risky to weaken the ol further when the other guard has left and so many other needs defensively.

Shocker. Didn't see that coming.

Great pick up for the Bucs and Brady though.

Why? I don't get it. Mason was one of the better guards out there. Was hoping for at least a 2nd... a 5th? Gross.

Its not about cap. Mason was a bargain. They have 60M of other options to create cap.

Sad to see him go, he was a strength for a long time.

I am saying that since they let him go, they better use that cap to get someone impactful.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
confused-no.gif

Not a ton; saves about $7m against the cap. That, plus only a 5th, makes me think the Pats had issues with his play last year.

He had a great year.

Id sooner believe Mason/agent had contractual issues and BB didn't want another Gilmore situation.
Mason had no guaranteed money left and was severely underpaid.
Why BB didn't want to make him a raise is a Q - but it did not do much good w Gilmore long term either.

Long term bargains have this issue after 2-3 years of good play. Happens everywhere.
In any case this is not a good news - losing very good PTP core player for next to nothing and creating a hole that can affect high comp pick.

Last edited:
Pretty clear they wanted rid of Mason. They could have easily freed up a similar amount of room by restructuring Judon. There must be another domino to fall here. Allen Robinson incoming?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back