PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SF 49er free agent center Jonathan Goodwin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

50-yard-line

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Hmm, San Fran's Center is a free agent. He's old - 35 - but he can still play. He's going to provide a good stop-gap for someone.

Thoughts?

I'm beginning to think that the corpse of Phillip Seymour Hoffman would be an upgrade to Wendell. I'd take Goodwin, but I'm much interested in seeing what happens with Alex Mack on top of the way the draft shakes out. Should be some quality guys available in days 2 and 3.

I wonder if Stone (Tenn) is within our reach? He has good height, is intelligent, and can always build bulk. He is unusual in that he snaps left-hand, but if he oversnaps, the ball is going to go towards Brady's right side which is better than the ball being oversnapped the other way.

I'm beginning to think that the corpse of Phillip Seymour Hoffman would be an upgrade to Wendell. I'd take Goodwin, but I'm much interested in seeing what happens with Alex Mack on top of the way the draft shakes out. Should be some quality guys available in days 2 and 3.

Would you be okay with starting a center? Seems to be three really good ones coming out.

I wonder if Stone (Tenn) is within our reach? He has good height, is intelligent, and can always build bulk. He is unusual in that he snaps left-hand, but if he oversnaps, the ball is going to go towards Brady's right side which is better than the ball being oversnapped the other way.

I'm partial to Martin, myself.

i think when it comes to the offensive line the last thing we need right now is a stopgap.
I'd much rather get a center who is going to be with the team through the end of the brady era.

Hmm, San Fran's Center is a free agent. He's old - 35 - but he can still play. He's going to provide a good stop-gap for someone.

Thoughts?

I would prefer that we sign Alex Mack (like everyone else) but if we do not and decide to go with a Swanson or Martin in the second or third round of the draft I agree that Goodwin would be a nice signing on a 1 year contract while the rookie got acclimated.

I wonder how he feels about playing on the east coast.

Personally, I'd be OK with starting a center every single game the Pats play.

Lol, ROOKIE center, I meant...

We didn't start a center in the AFCCG and it hurt us.

i think when it comes to the offensive line the last thing we need right now is a stopgap.
I'd much rather get a center who is going to be with the team through the end of the brady era.

Thing is, this means either starting a rookie who may require being drafted a little earlier than they would like, or spending $$ on Mack. For me the best options are either getting Mack signed, hopefully not for Kalil money, or the option I'm leaning more towards now is signing Goodwin and drafting Marcus Martin (my preferred), Richburg or Swanson in the middle rounds and having them serve as an interior backup until they're ready.

Brady can adapt. They started 4 different players at center in 2011, and were a few plays away from winning the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back