PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi Serious Idea on the 5/6 on the Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Latest EDIT: Sorry, I had the schedule incorrect in my head. The middle game of their three straight games is at MIAMI, not a Thursday night game against Tampa. That changes my whole argument. The Thursday game made a potential rest game seem possible but that's not the situation we have.

Alright, so we've all seen the schedule by now that includes a brutal stretch in the second half in which 5 out of 6 games are on the road.

This includes three straight road games in which the middle game of this trio is a Thursday Night Game at Tampa Bay.

Obviously there are many months to go and who knows what he team's situation will be, but if the Pats are in a good position at the time (standings wise) what do you think about starting Jimmy G. even with a perfectly healthy Brady?

I know, I know, one game at a time, but it's an interesting scenario to at least ponder. This would give Brady another bye week (especially ahead of a potentially important road trip to PIT).

EDIT: Alright, honestly I'm surprised how dismissive the crowd is over this idea given if any situation were to create the need/want to rest Brady (outside of already clinching HFA) it would be this one. But anyways, maybe I'll change the parameters a bit to draw more conversation. Instead of a perfectly healthy Brady let's say he has an injury that he could ultimately play through (think about the injury he had leading into the Jets (away) game last year). Even though Brady 'could go' would you put in Jimmy G for the Thursday Night game?

Last edited:
Again, I know there is (especially in football) an eternity between now and then, oh, and we don't know if Jimmy G will even be on the team but..........

1.) It could give a 40 yr old QB some rest and avoid fatigue.

2.) Another chance to showcase Jimmy G.

3.) If Jimmy G is as good as most say the team should still have a very good chance of winning the game.

4.) Remember, it's not just 5 out of 6 on the road, but a big factor is the THURSDAY night game. Many players have griped about Thursday games because their bodies haven't recovered from the last game.

Sure, this is unconventional wisdom but BB has never been shy about doing things outside the box.

Last edited:
This'll be fun.
The advantage of being an armchair GM/Coach is that you don't have to remember your failures or even better, you never know how the idea would have worked out because you know there's no way in HECK that BB would do this or TB would sit a game when healthy/available.

...while the rest of the league is playing checkers.

I just imagined you being a reporter in Bills' next press conference, and you asked that question.

It was freakin epic.

We as fans need to demand that the media take it easy on him from now on. He's getting up there in years! His response to a question like this could chip away at his long term "availability."

...Sure, this is unconventional wisdom...
I'd put it as more like...

96e70d3dd73dee946e9d35560cec7ec0.jpg

I have a good hunch of what Tom would think about the idea.

Also If I was playing the Pats I'd think that was disrespectful of them to play their backup thinking they can still win without Tom. I think I'd be hitting anything with a Patriot logo on it harder than I normally would.

Alright, so we've all seen the schedule by now that includes a brutal stretch in the second half in which 5 out of 6 games are on the road.

This includes three straight road games in which the middle game of this trio is a Thursday Night Game at Tampa Bay.

Obviously there are many months to go and who knows what he team's situation will be, but if the Pats are in a good position at the time (standings wise) what do you think about starting Jimmy G. even with a perfectly healthy Brady?

I know, I know, one game at a time, but it's an interesting scenario to at least ponder. This would give Brady another bye week (especially ahead of a potentially important road trip to PIT).

Here's a question will Jimmy G still be here after next week??

Play Brady and take extra efforts to keep him from being hit. Sort of like the Rams game last year where they probably punted a few extra times instead of extending the play and the risk of Brady getting sacked. Give the ball to all those new RBs the Pats have more times than usual.

Put Jimmy in sometime in the second half if things are going well.

Here's a question will Jimmy G still be here after next week??

I've already acknowledged that this hypothetical is light years away in football years and that he may not even be on the team. It's the offseason though I felt this could be a fun hypothetical to discuss. After all, I even started it by saying it was only a 'semi' serious idea........I wouldn't expect the Pats to do this, but I also don't think it would be the worst idea in the world.

After all, there are some who say that Brady's suspenion in 2016 was actually good for his overall healthy as it reduced the beating/wear and tear on his body. So for that crowd I would almost think they would entertain the idea of giving Brady a game off. If they did why not make it a Thursday nighter during a 3 game road trip (and 5 out of 6).

To me the issue with that five-in-six stretch is more about the effect on all the other players than a need to rest Tom Brady.

Again, I know there is (especially in football) an eternity between now and then, oh, and we don't know if Jimmy G will even be on the team but..........

1.) It could give a 40 yr old QB some rest and avoid fatigue.

2.) Another chance to showcase Jimmy G.

3.) If Jimmy G is as good as most say the team should still have a very good chance of winning the game.

Sure, this is unconventional wisdom but BB has never been shy about doing things outside the box.
Your idea is not that crazy.

There are several factors involved, and BB will make the final decision.

In fact, I hope we get in this type of situation four or five years from now. That will mean that Tom's still the guy, as he should be, and health maintenance becomes more of a factor as he approaches fifty.

To me the issue with that five-in-six stretch is more about the effect on all the other players than a need to rest Tom Brady.
It's no big deal; we have to play the games anyway. We'll just be road warriors.

The big game is in Minny after all, not a home game, so we'll be ready.

I have a good hunch of what Tom would think about the idea.

Also If I was playing the Pats I'd think that was disrespectful of them to play their backup thinking they can still win without Tom. I think I'd be hitting anything with a Patriot logo on it harder than I normally would.

I hear what you're saying, I think they could mask his bye week as an injury-related absence.

Your idea is not that crazy.

There are several factors involved, and BB will make the final decision.

Thank you for at least acknowledging that as crazy as it sounds on the surface the stars (factors) have aligned to the point where this might not be all that crazy.

old qb
highly capable backup
5 of 6 on the road
thursday night game

The other main factor is they need to be in a good position from a standings stand point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft