PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Kraft to own Boston ESports Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're watching a competition.

Why would you go to watch a baseball game, or a football game, or pay to go see a concert? You are going to watch two teams at the height of their field compete against each other. You're normally doing this with friends who are also into gaming, its a social experience where you get to watch people way better then you do something that you enjoy.

maxresdefault.jpg

Personally I don't go to them live, But i was in discord with a group of friends and we watched the finals just like we would watch the superbowl. We understand the games so we watch these pros and do the same exact stuff we do with physical sports, we second guess the players, the playcalls, the choices and picks. we oooh and ahhh at good plays, and we laugh at bad ones.

I agree that there will be a group of people that watch it. I myself play a lot of video games. But to me, watching a videogame match is the same as watching a chess match. A lot of people do it, myself on occasion, but it is just not a good spectator sport.

That's a question of presentation though. The problem with esports is that the presentation is just as immature as the rest of the community. Once they know how to put themselves out in the market in a way that appeals to consumers, or in other words, once they stop feeling their way and making it up as they go along and start to really have an idea what works, that'll be a big hurdle cleared towards legitimacy. It's not like baseball, football and the rest had it figured out on day 1 either.

I agree that there will be a group of people that watch it. I myself play a lot of video games. But to me, watching a videogame match is the same as watching a chess match. A lot of people do it, myself on occasion, but it is just not a good spectator sport.

are you doing it alone? because if so, do it with friends and booze.

Gaming isn't a sport. Baseball and golf aren't either. Only difference between a game and a sport is strenuous physical activity. Skill is very much an element of both, and both take lots of hard work to play at a high level.

Still can be entertaining (to some, not me personally) to watch non-sports games play out because it's still a competition with displays of skill.

Not sure what the point of any debate about this is, seems more like a flimsy excuse to sneak in generational potshots and make ******** strawman arguments about The Young Folk.

To each their own I guess, but I don't understand why you'd pay to go watch people...play a game on their computer. It's bizarre to me.

no more bizarre than paying to go watch a bunch of guys kick a ball around for 90 minutes, or run/throw a ball for 60 minutes.

yeah, its new and weird to those not into gaming, but at its basic level its no more ridiculous of a concept than any other pro sport.

yes, they dont have traditional athletic abilities like running and jumping. But mentally and reflexes they are incredible. Studies have been done that prove people who play video games regularly have far better reflexes, fine motor skills, ability to process large amounts of inputs in a short amount of time.

Could someone share a YouTube video of an E sports match that they think is worth watching?

Pretty obvious move. TB12 needs something to scratch that competitive itch after he retires from football in 20 years.

Its harder to become a professional gamer than it is to become a professional football player... statistically speaking

I got really into MMOGaming (DAoC) about 12 years ago for a couple years and had a lot of fun there. In retrospect however, I'm embarrassed by all the time and energy I wasted as it's pretty useless at the end of the day.

These leagues are probably going to continue to grow as it's at an intersection of social media and gaming.

Sorta like watching people playing golf, something the average person can do, so they can relate to how well the pros do it. In the case of a game like overwatch with multiple classes, there is the composition of the team and the coordination of the team and the strategy employed. I play most games solo due to age and time constraints.

I use twitch and youtube to get ideas on builds and playstyles some of the streamers are pretty entertaining in their presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes