PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.
The secondary is under alot of pressure due to the lack of pressure on opposing QBs. I posted the following in the game thread yesterday, but here it is again. I wonder if the 3-4 defense has seen its best days. This is increasingly becoming a passing league, with pressure on the QB being so key to stopping that. I wonder if 4 down linemen wouldn't be more effective to pressure the QB and thus helping out the secondary/coverage LBs.

Last edited:
The secondary is under alot of pressure due to the lack of pressure on opposing QBs. I posted the following in the game thread yesterday, but here it is again. I wonder if the 3-4 defense has seen its best days. This is increasingly becoming a passing league, with pressure on the QB being so key to stopping that. I wonder if 4 down linemen wouldn't be more effective to pressure the QB and thus helping out the secondary/coverage LBs.

Most teams are multiple, all 3-4 teams are. Pittsburgh and New England have been consistently among the best defenses for years in the critical stat (PPG). I don't see it going away anytime soon.

I've also thought about the continued effectiveness of the 3-4 in a game that gives every break imaginable to the QB & receivers. However, if your defense can rush 2 explosive, strong & fast OLBs, then a 3-4 defense can still be effective, perhaps superior, to the 4-3. We don't have those 2 OLBs, however...obviously.

Back to topic: if our CBs as of today consisted of -
Hobbs............................Wheatley
................Webster.....................
Bryant............................O'Neal

and our Safeties consisted of -
Harrison..........................Meriweather
.................JSanders.......................
TWilliams.........................LSanders

then that would be an acceptable - not outstanding - DBackfield. However, because of the injuries to Wheatley (big surprise), Rodney (another shock) & Tank (3 for 3), your depth/drafting acumen becomes tested. But when your answers are Richardson, Wilhite & Matt Slater, you've failed the test. Bubba & Spann = Incomplete; has Bubba taken any snaps at S, and can Spann play Big CB at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back