PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seattle Cuts Kam Chancellor and Doug Baldwin (failed physicals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I make 14 still on the final roster from 2014.
- Brady, Bolden, Develin, White, Edelman, Cannon, Hightower, Chung, McCourty, Harmon, Ebner, Allen, Gostkowski, Slater

As a side note just for fun to reflect on roster turnover - a reflection on what happened to the rest of the 2014 final roster

Good multi year contracts (10)
- Jimmy, Vereen, Dola, Fleming, Solder, Kline, Ch Jones, Butler, Ryan, T Wilson
Smaller 1 year deal (1)
- Devey
Retired (11)
- Connolly, Wendell, Gronk, Vollmer, Stork, Wilfork, Ninko, Branch, Arrington, Browner, Revis
Played snaps last season and now FAs (5)
- Blount, LaFell, Hooman (IR), Z Moore, Collins,
Playing in other leagues (3)
- Siliga (AAF), Vellano (Parma), Tyms (CFL)
Out of league (9)
- Boyce, Grey, Wright, Chris Jones, Ayers, Casillias, Fleming, C White, Aiken, Gordan
The 2014 final roster also had the following on IR (10)
- Dobson, Mayo, Easley, Dennard, Gordan, Buchanan, Morris, Orton, Gaffney, Ridley

So 4 years on
- 26% still on roster
- 19% good contract in NFL
- 2% smaller one year deal in NFL
- 21% retired
- 9% on roster last year - now FAs
- 6% still playing in minor leagues
- 17% no longer in the league

I make 14 still on the final roster from 2014.
- Brady, Bolden, Develin, White, Edelman, Cannon, Hightower, Chung, McCourty, Harmon, Ebner, Allen, Gostkowski, Slater

As a side note just for fun to reflect on roster turnover - a reflection on what happened to the rest of the 2014 final roster

Good multi year contracts (10)
- Jimmy, Vereen, Dola, Fleming, Solder, Kline, Ch Jones, Butler, Ryan, T Wilson
Smaller 1 year deal (1)
- Devey
Retired (11)
- Connolly, Wendell, Gronk, Vollmer, Stork, Wilfork, Ninko, Branch, Arrington, Browner, Revis
Played snaps last season and now FAs (5)
- Blount, LaFell, Hooman (IR), Z Moore, Collins,
Playing in other leagues (3)
- Siliga (AAF), Vellano (Parma), Tyms (CFL)
Out of league (9)
- Boyce, Grey, Wright, Chris Jones, Ayers, Casillias, Fleming, C White, Aiken, Gordan
The 2014 final roster also had the following on IR (10)
- Dobson, Mayo, Easley, Dennard, Gordan, Buchanan, Morris, Orton, Gaffney, Ridley

So 4 years on
- 26% still on roster
- 19% good contract in NFL
- 2% smaller one year deal in NFL
- 21% retired
- 9% on roster last year - now FAs
- 6% still playing in minor leagues
- 17% no longer in the league
Didn't realize Arrington had retired. I don't think I realized Branch was also retired.

Only 12 Patriots left but yet 2 more super bowl titles? This organization is just ****ing incredible. Baffles me sometimes.

Somedays I pinch myself to make sure all of this is real.. the talent of roster building while developing and keeping a core group of players is a BB skill, and while he is oft maligned ( he coulda shoulda signed that guy) he has done an excellent job..

Somedays I pinch myself to make sure all of this is real.. the talent of roster building while developing and keeping a core group of players is a BB skill, and while he is oft maligned ( he coulda shoulda signed that guy) he has done an excellent job..
Fans would rather focus on the negatives.

Didn't realize Arrington had retired. I don't think I realized Branch was also retired.

You are correct, technically both Arrington and Branch are still free agents and could return. However both are over 32 and haven't signed with anyone for at least a year so I got lazy and grouped them with the retired players.

- Arrington got a 3 year 7.5m contract with the Ravens in 2015, got a concussion in the 1st preason game in 2016, went on IR and hasn't played since.
- Branch is 34 and didn't sign for anyone for the 2018 season

You are correct, technically both Arrington and Branch are still free agents and could return. However both are over 32 and haven't signed with anyone for at least a year so I got lazy and grouped them with the retired players.

- Arrington got a 3 year 7.5m contract with the Ravens in 2015, got a concussion in the 1st preason game in 2016, went on IR and hasn't played since.
- Branch is 34 and didn't sign for anyone for the 2018 season
I hope you don't think I was being a smart @ss or anything... I actually was taking your post at face value. I do thank you for the clarification anyway, my friend.

Sad day for the Seahawks....both were great players.

Both of them played a significant role in the 8th-greatest Super Bowl of all time, and for that I thank them and wish them well in their endeavors outside of football.

Sad day for the Seahawks....both were great players.

Definitely.

In a lot of ways the Seahawks were the ultimate Patriots opponent. They were the defending Super Bowl champs, and they won their Super Bowl by just burying Peyton Manning and the greatest passing offense in NFL history. They were also loud, arrogant a-hole bullies who were extremely easy to hate. And somehow they were coached by the fatuous numb-nuts who ran the Patriots into the ground after Parcells left.

Looking at it from their perspective, the Patriots could have been the perfect opponent for the Seahawks legacy, too - imagine if they knocked off both of the iconic QBs of their era in back-to-back Super Bowls! It was so close to happening, too... but we all know how that turned out :cool:

Even so, they took one of the most well-rounded Patriots rosters top to bottom, led by a Brady who was looking from week 5 on like he was still in his absolute prime, down to the last moments. And that's not nothing.

Definitely.

In a lot of ways the Seahawks were the ultimate Patriots opponent. They were the defending Super Bowl champs, and they won their Super Bowl by just burying Peyton Manning and the greatest passing offense in NFL history. They were also loud, arrogant a-hole bullies who were extremely easy to hate. And somehow they were coached by the fatuous numb-nuts who ran the Patriots into the ground after Parcells left.

Looking at it from their perspective, the Patriots could have been the perfect opponent for the Seahawks legacy, too - imagine if they knocked off both of the iconic QBs of their era in back-to-back Super Bowls! It was so close to happening, too... but we all know how that turned out :cool:

Even so, they took one of the most well-rounded Patriots rosters top to bottom, led by a Brady who was looking from week 5 on like he was still in his absolute prime, down to the last moments. And that's not nothing.

I disagree that it was all Carroll here in 1997-99...that was mostly Bob Grier, Ernie Zampese, and Drew Bledsoe......

I disagree that it was all Carroll here in 1997-99...that was mostly Bob Grier, Ernie Zampese, and Drew Bledsoe......
Uh...coming out at halftime, game 11 of his 3rd season...too many men on the field penalty to START the 2nd half...followed by TWO MORE. Nah, those others played a role but...it WAS mostly Pete The Cleaner..

No question. Look at the bad drafts. Bad contracts.

Willie said he liked Pete but didn't hold players accountable. Didn't challenge them. He said when the hired Bill he knew 1/2 the team would be gone as he was a Parcells guy. They wouldnt make it

No question. Look at the bad drafts. Bad contracts.

Willie said he liked Pete but didn't hold players accountable. Didn't challenge them. He said when the hired Bill he knew 1/2 the team would be gone as he was a Parcells guy. They wouldnt make it

Yeah, he was a "Player's Coach" and still is. It worked fine at USC and in Seattle. Holding guys accountable works both ways...if you need to hound or discipline players, you got the wrong blend.

In particular, I liked how Carroll used Willie...much more fun to watch those defenses, but not arguing with BB's success with his passive/aggressive scheme.

Damn, Carroll's last season was 20 years ago.....where did the time go?

With that fat Russell Wilson contract, it’s no surprise that the axe is swinging.

Yeah, he was a "Player's Coach" and still is. It worked fine at USC and in Seattle. Holding guys accountable works both ways...if you need to hound or discipline players, you got the wrong blend.

In particular, I liked how Carroll used Willie...much more fun to watch those defenses, but not arguing with BB's success with his passive/aggressive scheme.

Damn, Carroll's last season was 20 years ago.....where did the time go?
20 years....what the hell.

With that fat Russell Wilson contract, it’s no surprise that the axe is swinging.

I am sure it was already pointed out but those cuts are not about money. Hell, they even did a favor to the players in terms of signing bonus and injury benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back