PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Seattle @ 21. Who Would You Trade Up For?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who would you trade up to 21 (Seattle) For?

• Clelin Ferrell

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • TJ Hockenson

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Christian Wilkins

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Noah Fant

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Devin Bush

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Another (Please specify)

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
I agree with not over-drafting WR's in Round 1 when there are 6 in the 2nd round with Round 2 grades.

However, the statement below does NOT follow. You speak as if all of those with a 2nd round valuation are equal, and that (as you say) moving down 5 spots loses nothing at all. I don't believe that. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't trade down. We should just recognize the cost. Obviously, if we have 6 players rated exactly equally, trading down 5 spots costs nothing, but that usually isn't the situation.

In any case, a 4th to move down to 39 is reasonable compensation. The 4th from TB would be a high 4th. I used TB as the example because the draft "value" of such a trade is almost exactly "right".
============
A DIFFERENT SITUATION
We are picking at 32 and we would like to draft an OL capable of being a swing OT this year and a solid starting OL next year. Ideally, this player would be LT, although a LG who can play LT is also OK.

In this case, there are NOT 6 such players available in the 2nd round. The situation may very well be to draft Little at 32 (the guard being already gone) or have no appropriate OT available at 56 if we move down.
=====
AS AN ASIDE, I would NOT pass on Lawrence if he is available.

then that is a win for us because the quality of player at 37 is the same as 32.

I though that I would continue this discussion. I would much rather be at 21 than at 32. The cost is our top 3rd. We could get lucky at 32. I would prefer to have more control with a pick in the 20's.

Alternatively, we could trade one our comp thirds to move up tot he lowers 20's.
=======================================
[as an aside I would trade down from one of the comp third a bit in oder to pick up a 5th]

This would give us 21, 2 2nd's, 1 3rd, 2 4th's, 1 5th, 1 6th and 3 7ths.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back