PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sealver Siliga and the improved run defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Overall, New England allowed 89 yards on the ground on 23 carries. If that’s limited to just running backs, the Patriots allowed 77 yards on 20 carries for 3.85 yards per carry. They allowed a long run of just seven yards out of the backfield. Last week, against the Browns, New England allowed 47 yards on 22 carries to running backs. In the past two weeks the Patriots are allowing just 2.95 yard per carry out of the backfield.

The current narrative is that the Patriots’ run defense is terrible. That should change. Since going back to a four-man front and inserting Siliga into the nose, they’ve been much more stout.

Read more at: Josh Boyce?s Drops, Defense?s Lack of Turnovers Among Five Takeaways From Patriots-Dolphins | New England Patriots | NESN.com

S Steve Gregory -- 63 of 63
S Devin McCourty -- 63 of 63
DE Rob Ninkovich -- 63 of 63
CB Aqib Talib -- 63 of 63
CB Kyle Arrington -- 61 of 63
DE Chandler Jones -- 61 of 63
CB Alfonzo Dennard -- 57 of 63
LB Dont'a Hightower -- 40 of 63
DT Chris Jones -- 38 of 63
NT Sealver Siliga -- 38 of 63
LB Jamie Collins --29 of 63
DT Joe Vellano -- 24 of 63
LB Dane Fletcher -- 23 of 63
LB Brandon Spikes -- 21 of 63
CB Logan Ryan -- 17 of 63
NT Isaac Sopoaga -- 15 of 63
DE Andre Carter -- 13 of 63
CB Marquice Cole -- 4 of 63

Re: Siliga and the improved run defense

The run defense has definitely improved the last few weeks. It's the pass defense that is the issue now. With Talib and Dennard obviously playing injured, Gregory has been a bit exposed. To boot, they're not generating turnovers which is a huge issue. In all, I would say that the top two areas of concern are the defense's inability to stop the pass/create turnovers in the clutch and the red zone offense without Gronk. On the defensive side of the ball, health in the back end will help. For the red zone offense, Thompkins and Dobson are going to have to get big and win jump balls without Gronk.

Hightower and Spikes have a lot to do with improvement in run D. They are simply getting used to being the two interior guys. After Mayo went down, Spikes was missing quite a bit and Hightower was getting swallowed by his new responsibilities. Now you can see them both filling holes instead of guessing. They are "doing their jobs" and limiting gains to 4 yards, whereas before they'd miss and you'd see 8-10 yard gains.

Hightower and Spikes have a lot to do with improvement in run D. They are simply getting used to being the two interior guys. After Mayo went down, Spikes was missing quite a bit and Hightower was getting swallowed by his new responsibilities. Now you can see them both filling holes instead of guessing. They are "doing their jobs" and limiting gains to 4 yards, whereas before they'd miss and you'd see 8-10 yard gains.

Spikes was invisible yesterday from what I saw, he only played 21 snaps and didn’t even register so much as an assist on the stat sheet.

Yesterday was Spikes's worst game by far as he wasn't doing a good job shedding blockers at all. He looked to be a step slow and his limp was very noticeable, so maybe he tweaked his injury during the game or practice last week. That said, I wonder how much a week or two of rest would help him heal up.

The problem is that we are playing a nickel defense most of the time....4-2-5....So our front 4 is fine but we have 2 run stopping LB'ers in there and other teams are exposing them with the pass.....I don't know if we have other options like going to a 4-3 with Fletcher but he too gets exposed at times.....I really wish that we had a healthy Adrian Wilson right now as he could be that guy to help in run support and is a little better in pass coverage than our LB'ers....I guess every game will be a different tell as to how BB and Patricia try to either shut down the run or play the pass.....One big problem that I say yesterday is that in the nickel you can't run too many exotic blitzes with only 6 guys near the L.O.S. so that may need to change as well...

We were really 2-3 defensive plays from playing a pretty good defensive game. Wasn't all personnel either.

1. Up 10-0 and not much time left in the half. 40 seconds left in the half and Miami has the ball at our 39. We blitz 6. Just don't have the speed on the backend to make tackles in space. Plus, Cole was in for Arrington. Gregory takes a terrible angle and doesn't even lay a finger on Wallace. Just hold em to a FG. Terrible play call and lousy play by Gregory.

2. We have a 4th and 5 to close out the game. Miami throws the ball behind the LOS to Charles Bleepin Clay and we can't get him before he gets the first down. Again, Gregory had the last shot. Got the tackle. But, not in time.

3. You can blame Hightower on last TD. They're scoring at that point. Defense is tired and should have been off the field earlier in the drive. Hold them to 3 in situation 1 and end the game in situation 2. They have 13 points. Give em 3 more for their missed FG on bad snap. That would be 16

I feel like even though the pats are in the middle of a playoff run, that they are distributing playing time with an eye on the future.

I think that if they had to, that dobson and thompkins could have played but the pats decided that getting PT and reps to boyce and amendola were the priority. TO have 5 viable and tested options at WR going into the playoff and then next year. I also think part of why sopoaga does not get many snaps is that they are confident/familiar with his abilities and need to sort out a rotation with the other guys going into the playoffs. with vellano, jones, siliga, and sopoaga, it may not be the best bunch, but they have enough guys who can play tough, not get tired and has the versatility to change up on passing downs.

I also think siliga will help the pats be able to do more 3-4 ..... the few times they have resorted to it, it has been reasonably effective against the pass, and could help the pats with their issues with the short stuff on the edges

I feel like even though the pats are in the middle of a playoff run, that they are distributing playing time with an eye on the future.

I think that if they had to, that dobson and thompkins could have played but the pats decided that getting PT and reps to boyce and amendola were the priority. TO have 5 viable and tested options at WR going into the playoff and then next year. I also think part of why sopoaga does not get many snaps is that they are confident/familiar with his abilities and need to sort out a rotation with the other guys going into the playoffs. with vellano, jones, siliga, and sopoaga, it may not be the best bunch, but they have enough guys who can play tough, not get tired and has the versatility to change up on passing downs.

I also think siliga will help the pats be able to do more 3-4 ..... the few times they have resorted to it, it has been reasonably effective against the pass, and could help the pats with their issues with the short stuff on the edges

The Pats were playing for a division title and guaranteed HFA yesterday. They needed all hands on deck. I highly doubt Thompkins and Dobson could have gone because if they could have, they would have.

Sealver Siliga could be a long term answer.

Siliga has single handedly fixed the run defense since coming on board. He was Wilfork like yesterday blowing up plays, tacking on 2-3 OL and opening things up for the other DL and DEs. Over the past 3 games in which he has seen significant reps he has 12 combined tackles, 2 sacks, 3 hurries and 2 QB hits.

Play of the game: Pats' goal-line stand | Boston Herald

I think he could be a long term answer, the mistake Siliga made was coming out after his junior season, had he returned to college and developed his game and strength he may have been an early round draft pick. Take a look at Siliga athletic metrics compared to another Utah DT who was drafted in the top 15 this season.

Sealver Siliga – 6’2” 325 lbs.
40 Yrd Dash: 5.38
20 Yrd Dash: 3.10
10 Yrd Dash: 1.85
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 29
Vertical Jump: 29
Broad Jump: 08'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.75
3-Cone Drill: 7.70

Star Lotulelei – 6’2” 315 lbs.
40 Yrd Dash: 5.41
20 Yrd Dash: 3.12
10 Yrd Dash: 1.89
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 38
Vertical Jump: 30
Broad Jump: 08'09"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.63
3-Cone Drill: 7.79

Siliga had better athletic ability in many areas and I am sure that his strength has been a primary focus in the past 2 seasons since coming into the NFL. I really like this guy and think he has a bright future in the NFL, he has a ton of talent and seems to be a hard working kid.

Re: Sealver Siliga could be a long term answer.

While I didn't watch his play too intensely, I do remember him taking out Raven or two on that 4th and 1 stop deep in Pats territory. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come

I'm surprised there isn't more of a lower body strength test at the combine. I think it would be more relevant for lineman.

something to keep in mind, Ray rice is having his worst year ever, dude is barely hitting 3 ypc all season.

Amazing that this guy was CUT from not 1, NOT 2, BUT 3 NFL TEAMS in only 1 and a 1/2 seasons.

Makes you wonder how much was TIME, how much was COACHING, how much was just OPPORTUNITY????

That said, it isnt a done deal yet. he could end up being 2d string or worse next year; or the game goat NEXT WEEK.

'But gosh, he sure looks promising wally.'

Siliga has single handedly fixed the run defense since coming on board. He was Wilfork like yesterday blowing up plays, tacking on 2-3 OL and opening things up for the other DL and DEs. Over the past 3 games in which he has seen significant reps he has 12 combined tackles, 2 sacks, 3 hurries and 2 QB hits.

I think he could be a long term answer, the mistake Siliga made was coming out after his junior season, had he returned to college and developed his game and strength he may have been an early round draft pick. Take a look at Siliga athletic metrics compared to another Utah DT who was drafted in the top 15 this season.

Siliga had better athletic ability in many areas and I am sure that his strength has been a primary focus in the past 2 seasons since coming into the NFL. I really like this guy and think he has a bright future in the NFL, he has a ton of talent and seems to be a hard working kid.

I really believe that this guy has the potential to pull a Dennard and come out of nowhere to be a real fix at a position of need. Siliga's the real deal, love the guy.

I really believe that this guy has the potential to pull a Dennard and come out of nowhere to be a real fix at a position of need. Siliga's the real deal, love the guy.

Dennard was a talented kid coming out of college, he just had a major lapse in judgment that caused him to be a 7th rounder

Impressive

Dennard was a talented kid coming out of college, he just had a major lapse in judgment that caused him to be a 7th rounder

And Siliga is obviously a pretty talented guy, but must have been overlooked because he was playing next to the best DT in college football. I don't care what the conditions are surrounding it, when a 7th rounder starts capably as a rookie (or a UDFA on his fourth team in two years), that counts as 'out of nowhere' in my book.

I'm as giddy about Siliga's play as you are. But to compare him to Lotulelei is unfair... Lotulelei's most unique strength is his quickness off the snap for a "Planet theory" guy, and when looking at players in the 300 lbs range you don't see that in shorts.

I read or saw somewhere that on that 4th and 1 stuff, the tackles baited Flacco into thinking there would be a gap up the middle, and at the last second just as the ball was snapped, Siliga and the other DT (C. Jones?) collapsed inside to close that gap. Matt Pat and BB playing mindgames with Flacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back