PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: <opinion>Chad Jackson could be cut</opinion>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the title up a bit as to not scare the crap out of some people.

Good move. The HOF guys could get undully upset!

Re: Chad Jackson...Cut?

While I think this is speculation on Schefter's part, there is a tendancy on this board to dig in in the other direction. We saw that with Bethel, PK Sam, Ryan Claridge to name a few. In each of those cases there was somthing amiss that we heard little or nothing about that went well beyond any physical issues.

I recall in the spring CJ's agent making an oddly impassioned public comment about how hard he was working and how it could potentially effect him adversely if he were not able to make the roster on opening day. It would appear highly unlikely now that he is going to, and there may be fallout from that occuring behind the scenes that is leading some in the organization to question if he will ever be of any real value to this team healthy or not. And this could even be a backchannels FO message to the player and his representation that there are worse things to be than PuPped or IR'd, like unceremoniously cut.

I can pretty much guarantee that BJ's contributions to the team in his 1st 2 years will have vastly exceeded injury prone CJ's 1st 2 season's contributions.

You are right PWP, because I think CJ will be put on IR. He had an ACL in the very last game of the season. He's young and should have a full year to heal so he can come back next year.

They just need to make sure that Chad walks with a noticeable limp when walking by the press . . .

He'll be PUPed. It's a LOCK.

Even if the Pats wanted to cut him - and whether they do or not is simply speculation on Schefter's part - their first consideration would probably be the impact on the salary cap.

Per Miguel's page:

(2007) Salary $360,200
2007 Cap Hit if Cut After 6/1/2007 $546,666
2008 Cap Hit if Cut After 6/1/2007 $1,093,334

In other words, it costs more to cut him than to keep him this year. So, given his talent, the only reasons I could see the team cutting him as opposed to PUP/IR would be because he either has (a) a severe attitude problem or (b) a severe problem learning the offense. Why else would they give up on him so soon?

Jackson's injured, can they cut him without an injury settlement?

Even if the Pats wanted to cut him - and whether they do or not is simply speculation on Schefter's part - their first consideration would probably be the impact on the salary cap.

Per Miguel's page:

(2007) Salary $360,200
2007 Cap Hit if Cut After 6/1/2007 $546,666
2008 Cap Hit if Cut After 6/1/2007 $1,093,334

In other words, it costs more to cut him than to keep him this year. So, given his talent, the only reasons I could see the team cutting him as opposed to PUP/IR would be because he either has (a) a severe attitude problem or (b) a severe problem learning the offense. Why else would they give up on him so soon?

My (cap) thinking as well. Even if there's an attitude or learning disability issue, it doesn't hurt to IR the guy and tell him to have a nice fall away from the traing room and see what happens in next year's camp. The dead money hit after 6/1/2008 is better for the Pats and they can easily carry his salary this year.

My (cap) thinking as well. Even if there's an attitude or learning disability issue, it doesn't hurt to IR the guy and tell him to have a nice fall away from the traing room and see what happens in next year's camp. The dead money hit after 6/1/2008 is better for the Pats and they can easily carry his salary this year.

Follow the money.... not to mention that Welker is the only WR who is signed beyond this year without a large salary bump. Stallworth and Washington contarcts go way up in 2008. A good cheap 2nd round contract is a nice thing to have.

There is no way Jackson gets cut. The guy was hurt and missed most of T.C. last year and then suffered an ACL injury that he's still healing from. Also, some coach or receiver (I think) recently said that CJ's probably the most naturally gifted wideout on the Pats who isn't named Randy Moss. Kid's not going anywhere. Hope they give him the time his talent merits.

Follow the money.... not to mention that Welker is the only WR who is signed beyond this year without a large salary bump. Stallworth and Washington contarcts go way up in 2008. A good cheap 2nd round contract is a nice thing to have.
Exactly. __

I can pretty much guarantee that BJ's contributions to the team in his 1st 2 years will have vastly exceeded injury prone CJ's 1st 2 season's contributions.

Yeah, go watch "21". Bethel Johnson is all over those highlights making plays. Seriously.

If Jackson can past a physical, and if BB has no further use for him, he'll be cut. Or the team can negotiate an injury settlement.

Having an ACL injury doesn't make him a better player. The team know his potential. We do not. His potential before the injury is irrelevant. What is also relevant is the degree that Jackson is expected to progress with regard to route running and all the rest of the skills of a wide receiver.

Obviously, we all hope that Jackson will be a contributer in 2008 and 2009.

It is for the team to evaluate. If cuttin him is a real possibility, we would almost assuredly keep Caldwell, as possibly extend him and/or Gaffney.

Unless Jackson behind the scenes has been an attitude or effort problem that Schefter has knowledge of that we don't, I can't see the Pats cutting Jackson. It just doesn't make sense to give up a second round pick that you traded up to get and had graded as a first round prospect after one season even if he did have ACL surgery and his rookie season was an injury filled disapointment.

So says uber-reporter Adam Schefter who has broken many Pats stories correctly...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d801b6cd6&template=with-video&confirm=true

"Chad Jackson, WR, New England Patriots: He could wind up being cut as easily as landing on the PUP."

Man would that put a dent in the CJ HOF camp here in this forum or what?

My vote PUP. It makes little sense to cut his sorry ass this season.

Jackson is going to earn very little money, and he is one of the very few WRs we have signed for next season. Any escalators he had in his contract are probably gone. It is very difficult for me to see how cutting him makes sense. I can think of only two possibilities:

1. Jackson is filing a grievance about being placed on PUP and the Patriots think he could win.

2. The Patriots think there is NO chance that he will ever be good enough to make the team.

Otherwise, they should pay him his $360K and get an additional potential deep threat for next year's training camp.

I agree with the statements here. The real issue is that we do not know whether either condition exists.

BTW, I strongly disagree with regard to next year's crisis at wide receiver. We have Stallworth, Welker and Washington all signed to excellent long-term deals. moss could be extended in place of one of them, but the three are just fine in my book. And also, we COULD extend Gaffney and/or Caldwell. This is ignoring the fact that we ahve two first round draft choices.

Jackson is going to earn very little money, and he is one of the very few WRs we have signed for next season. Any escalators he had in his contract are probably gone. It is very difficult for me to see how cutting him makes sense. I can think of only two possibilities:

1. Jackson is filing a grievance about being placed on PUP and the Patriots think he could win.

2. The Patriots think there is NO chance that he will ever be good enough to make the team.

Otherwise, they should pay him his $360K and get an additional potential deep threat for next year's training camp.

Anyone else think this is a message sent directly by Belichick? I have a feeling this kid does not have the work ethic the rest of the vets have and the only way he wakes up is a threat of being let go. I bet his rehab is going slow and he needs a kick in the ass.

Anyone else think this is a message sent directly by Belichick?

Nope. And all I've heard is that Chad's been working his ASS off to get back.

The last I read, he was lobbying hard to get OFF the PUP list. He doesn't feel he is injured and wants to be activated.

If that happens, the Pats will have almost no choice but to cut him in my opinion. There are 7 or 8 guys ahead of him right now. There is no way he catches up and makes one of those 5 or 6 roster spots.

IMO he needs to shut up, take the PUP or IR, learn the offense and be ready to go for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back