PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Cassel (and Vrabel) to Chiefs for 2009 2nd-rounder [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Adam Sch. reports : Matt Cassel to Chiefs !

Dude, you're right. That makes complete sense. I am hoping we trade Brady, a sixth, for like a third or fourth. Great deal.

well i dont mean to say we trade all our late rounders to higher picks. You really think cassel and brady are the same ? anyways its just my view point. you can expect and want a #3 and be unhappy if we dont get it. i wont be.

Re: Adam Sch. reports : Matt Cassel to Chiefs ! [merged]

maybe they are 2 different picks -2nd for cassel and 4th for vrabel. i dont mind it except we have sucked for some range in 2nd round picks and we already have 2 this yr.

I believe it will turn out to be cassel and vrabel for the #3 and some day 2 pick

Something to consider : #1 is just a number. Truth is - the Chief's #2 this year is a bordline #1. AND, if experts are right, 2009 is a deep draft.

We've been talking about #20 plus a 2010 pick for a couple of months. So, now the reality is likely to be the #33 and a 2010 pick. We also will get a 3rd for Vrabel instead of the 4th that many thought was fair. In the end, the #33 is as close to a first as one can get. The next year's pick may be one better. The compensation will be fine. The important thing is the decisions have been made and we can move on. Perhaps Pioli really, really wanted Pioli as a leader and mentor to the defense.
===========================================
Adding two more picks in the top 100 PLUS a pick next year is awesome. We will have SEVEN picks in the top 100.

the #1, two #2's and the #3 we already had
KC's #1, and #3
and a comp #3 for Samuel

Perhaps we can get a vet or two through trades. Holt is certainly my favorite.
============================================

Good for Matt, good for the Chiefs, fantastic for the Patriots!

I believe it will turn out to be cassel and vrabel for the #3 and some day 2 pick

or be 2nd and 4th this yr and a 1 next yr . Whatever it is...iam quite sure some will be happy and some will pissed with BB we got less

In this draft, where the talent is basically relative from picks 10-60, the early 2nds and 3rds are extremely important. I am really hoping we get that second rounder.

schaub got atl two 2's. I see Cassell and vrabes #2 and #3 this year and a 3 next year.

Remember with the money KC is giving Cassell their budget for early picks just changed

I know everyone is has this new cap room spent on FA's however, I see them getting wilfork done with this as well

Re-sign Evans, Hochstein, J. Sanders, L. Sanders, and Wright and

then extend Wilfork and/or Mankins.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Pats, after briefly controlling the #3 overall, traded it in a deal that brought back Peppers.

I wasn't expecting a flashy FA, but jettisoning Vrabel is changing my opinion on that somewhat.

what a day

In the end, do we really think that if a deal is coming so early in free agency, that BB will be getting fleeced ? Can't wait for the numbers.

or be 2nd and 4th this yr and a 1 next yr . Whatever it is...iam quite sure some will be happy and some will pissed with BB we got less

maybe ..... but I don't think anyone will complain if it turns into aaron curry.....once the dust settles, a huge net gain for the pats

I'd take J sanders out of that group but the rest ya. Wright should be looking for big dough elsewhere

Now, those moves would cap a great day.

People who would rather have the 23 pick than the 3 pick are not dealing with a full deck.

You're completely right. If anyone here thinks that Bill Belichick would not want the #3 overall - as opposed to whatever we're actually getting - is clueless. The #3 is pricey but valuable, especially given there will be either of the QBs or Aaron Curry (the best player in the draft as of now) sitting there, tempting teams to trade up.

So if we get #34 and #67 this year, we could end up with something like:

- 23: William Beatty OT, or a CB (Sean Smith/Alphonso Smith)
- 34: Connor Barwin, OLB - the next Mike Vrabel
- 47: Louis Delmas, S
- 58: Jarron Gilbert, DE
- 67: Eric Wood, OG/C

Throw Clint Sintim, Patrick Chung, Darius Butler and a WR into the mix, and there's a lot of young talent to choose from. Not to mention the FAs that we can now target (resign Mike Wright, sign Lee Bodden and/or Sean Jones, go after a WR, etc.).

Plus an extra 2010 pick will be very useful.

No James please. We need a safety desperately.
DW Toys

here is an important thing to consider . as per schefter ,cassel is being traded without a new deal in place which means as of nowits still 14 mil for 1 yr but the chiefs have enough space to carry that cap hit. So it could mean that cassel plays under this and the compensation of this pick maybe a 2nd or 3rd this yr and is a conditional high (1?) pick next yr dependent on the cassel performance.just guessing.

You're completely right. If anyone here thinks that Bill Belichick would not want the #3 overall - as opposed to whatever we're actually getting - is clueless. The #3 is pricey but valuable, especially given there will be either of the QBs or Aaron Curry (the best player in the draft as of now) sitting there, tempting teams to trade up.

I'm not sure. Of course BB would want the pick however, may not make fiscal sense for them. Its a good point either way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents