PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Brady and Pats contract talks moving along very well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working FOR a deal this summer...Brady's motivation to avert a 10% 2011 tax increase on his up front signing bonus money as all federal tax rates increase 1 January. Not a small piece of change.

Working against...the complete unknowns of the next CBA

I do know one thing..

I would work for Giselle and Tom's tax money :eek:

Re: Brady and Pats contract talks moving along very well

From the story:

This all sounds great — though as with all the other media reports on the process, I need to take a believe-it-when-I-see-it approach. One thing the Pats and Brady have always had in common is they keep their business to themselves, so who ever really knows what's going on?

I guess one thing that gives me confidence is that this is an Adam Schefter story. IIRC, this is his first real foray into this story; his reporting tends to be more solid than pretty much any national writer (ie he actually does reporting).

Not to get OT re Schefter here, a couple of years ago I went to the NFL draft with my kids and watched the talking heads go into the building. Most had a briefcase of papers on the draftees. Schefter wheels in this three foot high pile of boxes like a lawyer going into a complex trial......The man does his homework.....

I wonder if this is all a setup.

Brady leaks "discontent" to a gullible media. They want it to be true so much they run with it.

If Brady can't get done, all the others don't get done because everyone is waiting on the other guys.

Finish the deal right before training camp so that the other guys waste time in training camp working on the contract.

A low contract number strains the Colts and "payme". A higher number forces a big number on the Colts.

Conspiracy theories abound. It's like the one that says that Revis isn't really upset, or going to hold out, but instead is acting on behalf of the Jets and HBO to create a hype story for the upcoming Hard Knocks show.

Regardless, I personally think this talk about the absence of a CBA as it relates to contract talks is just pure rubbish. Brady deserves to be paid as one of the top QBs in the league. Even rookie Mark Sanchez is raking it in right now and the kids barely done a thing (yet). For all the misery that Brady has given my team, he deserves to be paid top money.

Last edited:

Not to get OT re Schefter here, a couple of years ago I went to the NFL draft with my kids and watched the talking heads go into the building. Most had a briefcase of papers on the draftees. Schefter wheels in this three foot high pile of boxes like a lawyer going into a complex trial......The man does his homework.....

When I used to watch NFLTA; Schefter was brilliant; seemed to get news before anyone else. Jason La Canfora (sp?) was just boring compared!

When I used to watch NFLTA; Schefter was brilliant; seemed to get news before anyone else. Jason La Canfora (sp?) was just boring compared!

Schefter was born in New York in 1966. I don't think he's married. I think his job is his wife. And it shows. The guy is the best at what he does.

Schefter was born in New York in 1966. I don't think he's married. I think his job is his wife. And it shows. The guy is the best at what he does.

Ok, but I don't see being born in 1966 has to do with it :) But thanks for the information :)

Guess my prediction of him showing up EARLY turned out to be right. :D

Per his interviews on WEEI, Schefter is married and with children, FYI.

Good to hear some progress is being made. If Schefter is saying it, I'm all in. And good on Brady for showing up to camp on time. Very professional for someone who has been vocal (for Tommy) about wanting a new deal done as soon as possible.

Who are we fooling? Brady is still pissed... every time he throws another touchdown this season, he'll think to himself "Take that, Mr. Kraft!" :p <sarcasm off/>

This whole story of Brady and the Patriots relationship being strained, and the Pats will let Brady down, and... has been the biggest load of crap in recent memory. And that's saying something because that's about what 90% of the sports "media" spew these days- fictional crap fueled by nothing more than fertile imaginations and speculation.

Thank god we have guys like schefter and Reiss who are actually worth reading/listening to.

Where did this "discontent" crap come from in the first place? I'm really interested to know. To my knowledge Brady hasn't done a single thing to suggest his unhappiness with the franchise. Where are these idiots getting this idea from?

Boston Sports Media Watch Brady In Camp, Making Progress on New Contract

like this

I tuned into the beginning of CSNNE’s “Sports Sunday” and heard Michael Felger saying about the Brady situation. “Some think it is being overblown, but it’s NOT.” He went on to say how Brady has had a month to dispute the disconnect quote, and he hasn’t, so clearly it is true.

I wonder if this is all a setup.

Brady leaks "discontent" to a gullible media. They want it to be true so much they run with it.

If Brady can't get done, all the others don't get done because everyone is waiting on the other guys.

Finish the deal right before training camp so that the other guys waste time in training camp working on the contract.

A low contract number strains the Colts and "payme". A higher number forces a big number on the Colts.

Please, no conspiracy theories.

At the end of the day I wouldn't doubt that Brady was frustrated and a little disappointed that he couldn't have put all the contract blather behind him before the start of this or even last season. All that conspired against him was fate, and not for the first time. When his deal and even Peyton's were last redone they had to be constructed under a CBA that was expiring within a couple of seasons and there were hoops to jump through in constructing those deals. Just not nearly as constrictive hoops as those in place this time around due to the incorporation of the uncapped year and a potential lockout into the equation and management wisely having insisted on some caveats to make that series of events less palatable than the panacea the union was portraying them to be. I'm sure Tom would just once like to be in line for a non discounted deal at a time when there were no limitations on construction. But I also don't doubt that he doesn't blame his owner or HC or feel they are playing games with him. He has said so himself, these are unique and challenging times, though for reasons only they can fathom, lots of people choose to dismiss his statements to that effect. My guess is because it doesn't fit their agenda.

Tom was also pretty clear from the get go that the contract wasn't a huge concern for him, he intended to honor the sixth year of a contract he signed five years ago, and he was anxious to get back on the field with his teamates, he loves playing here and he and Gisele consider Boston home. Apparently that was sufficient grounds for many to conclude he was unhappy, increasingly disconnected and certainly contemplating some level of holdout and possibly preparing to finish his career elswhere. That's agenda driven logic.

Please, no conspiracy theories.

At the end of the day I wouldn't doubt that Brady was frustrated and a little disappointed that he couldn't have put all the contract blather behind him before the start of this or even last season. All that conspired against him was fate, and not for the first time. When his deal and even Peyton's were last redone they had to be constructed under a CBA that was expiring within a couple of seasons and there were hoops to jump through in constructing those deals. Just not nearly as constrictive hoops as those in place this time around due to the incorporation of the uncapped year and a potential lockout into the equation and management wisely having insisted on some caveats to make that series of events less palatable than the panacea the union was portraying them to be. I'm sure Tom would just once like to be in line for a non discounted deal at a time when there were no limitations on construction. But I also don't doubt that he doesn't blame his owner or HC or feel they are playing games with him. He has said so himself, these are unique and challenging times, though for reasons only they can fathom, lots of people choose to dismiss his statements to that effect. My guess is because it doesn't fit their agenda.

Tom was also pretty clear from the get go that the contract wasn't a huge concern for him, he intended to honor the sixth year of a contract he signed five years ago, and he was anxious to get back on the field with his teamates, he loves playing here and he and Gisele consider Boston home. Apparently that was sufficient grounds for many to conclude he was unhappy, increasingly disconnected and certainly contemplating some level of holdout and possibly preparing to finish his career elswhere. That's agenda driven logic.

Mo

Conspiracies requires collusion from various groups. You are over analyzing the point.

"Brady discontent" stories show up. This should be expected because you essentially see this everywhere. It's part of hammering out a contract. Remember, Vince "going to Miami".

A framework is reached a few weeks ago.

Wait until traing camp starts for the media to figure out the "discontent" is actually "further along". This is an advantage for being a secretive organization.

Let the other guys who waited for a contract to hammer it out in training camp. Have NFLN send guys to the applicable training camps and ask about contracts everyday.

This is not a JFK conspiracy, more like a liberal use of the injury report for confusion exercise.

Mo

Conspiracies requires collusion from various groups. You are over analyzing the point.

"Brady discontent" stories show up. This should be expected because you essentially see this everywhere. It's part of hammering out a contract. Remember, Vince "going to Miami".

A framework is reached a few weeks ago.

Wait until traing camp starts for the media to figure out the "discontent" is actually "further along". This is an advantage for being a secretive organization.

Let the other guys who waited for a contract to hammer it out in training camp. Have NFLN send guys to the applicable training camps and ask about contracts everyday.

This is not a JFK conspiracy, more like a liberal use of the injury report for confusion exercise.

No, it's not even that. It simply is what it is... They couldn't be bothered to used Brady's contract situation to confuse competitors in part because of the PR hit they withstood in the process...

What a difference a day makes...Not on the facts, but on the "reporting". :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back