PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Bill Belichick & Patriots to Part Ways

When Tom Brady left the Pats I was genuinely excited for him, there was no way he was going to win on that Pats roster and I wanted him to show he could win away from the Pats. Felt the same way about Bill (without Brady) , knowing full well that it was going to be a lot tougher for Belichick than it was for Tom to succeed. Tom could have walked into any any situation of his choosing, and he chose well. Bill was stuck with a roster that had little talent and lost the best QB the game has ever seen. Now hopefully with all these coaching vacancies he can get an opportunity with a good team and be successfull.
Pats fan since 1976, forever gratefull to Bill/Tom for scratching Pats Championship off my bucket list, (AND THEN GET 5 MORE, dang !!)
Agree, actually. I am looking forward to seeing Bill be successful elsewhere, pretty curious to see how he takes a new team and molds/shapes it. If he goes to a team that is lower in a division and makes them a playoff contender that'd be pretty sweet.

Kind of weird to chime in 32 pages in but this feels like one of those moves everyone is obligated to comment on

I thought that it was time. It very much felt over the last few weeks. And I'm sad about it, the way you're sad about good things that end. But I see sadness as a positive thing because it shows that there was something to be sad about.

As with Brady, I hope he goes somewhere else and I hope he wins another Super Bowl. As long as that game isn't against the patriots I'll be rooting for him.

Have any current players come out with support for Bill today? I haven’t seen any just retired players Brady, Gronk, and a few others.

Ask a fanbase who has had incompetent ownership how that goes. There's a reason that since the 2000's Kraft, Mara, Rooney, Bisciotti, Bowlen, and Hunt have had the most successful franchises and why people like Spanos, Snyder, Haslam, Woody, etc all found ways to torpedo anything good they ever had.
Interesting you use 2000s as the cutoff, the entire duration of which Kraft had Brady and/or Belichick.

Kraft's contribution during the period after acquiring the two was surrendering to a corrupt NFL Commissioner during Spygate and Deflategate, banging women 1/3 his age, strip mall handjobs, allowing Brady to walk, and watching games drunk from his comical booster seat.

Last edited:
As with Brady, I hope he goes somewhere else and I hope he wins another Super Bowl.
I guess that's one way to fix the narrative that he can't win without Brady. No coach in the SB era has ever won it all coaching 2 different teams

Under Snyder, yes. He was awful.

This may be premature, but I commend the new Washington owner on his GM/HC search. Ron Rivera was fired Monday. Josh Harris knew his football limitations and formed an advisory committee - consisting of himself, three minority owners and two former GMs. They immediately went through the process of requesting permission to interview five candidates, and have already conducted at least five interviews since then.

I like the way they are handling this.
Thankfully Kraft won't need to do that. He's done us the favor "keeping it all together" for years. And he wears custom Air Force One's if you needed any other proof of his invaluable contributions to the team's success.

Interesting you use 2000s as the cutoff, the entire duration of which Kraft had Belichick and Brady.

Kraft's contribution during the period after acquiring the two during was surrending to a corrupt NFL Commissioner during Spygate and Deflategate, banging women 1/3 his age, strip mall handjobs, allowing Brady to walk, and watching games drunk from his comical booster seat.
It's funny that half of that you could cast blame on Bill Belichick. Who committed Spygate and admitted to it and apologized for it? Bill. Who threw Tom Brady right under the bus at the first press conference after Deflategate and then refused to defend his team to stay out of the fire? Bill. Who was the GM that refused to give Brady a longterm contract and then couldn't keep him here and replaced him with the ghost of Cam Newton? Bill. Which current NFL coach has been rumored to be running around with a girl in her early 20's this year? Bill.

At least make sure the person you are trashing other people has their house in order on some of that stuff.

So I guess he didn't get jerked off at a massage parlor and watch games from a box. Big whoop.

New NFL might not be for me. BB kept me around the game. Going to be interesting but probably going to be like how I treat soccer now. Not must watch but if bored.
Are they going to bring Mac Jones back now?

I guess that's one way to fix the narrative that he can't win without Brady. No coach in the SB era has ever won it all coaching 2 different teams
And only 5 took two different teams to a SB:
Vermeil
Parcells
Reeves
Andy Reid
Shula

I think it is safe to say that Belichick would never have traded a first round pick and paid $22 million a year for Tyreek Hill.

You can argue that he overpaid for guys like Agholor, but his entire contract was $22 million. Belichick was willing to pay top dollar #2 and #3 quality WRs not #1s.
About 2/3 years ago a poster said we needed a true number 1 wide receiver to be able to compete for a championship. I responded that we didn't. "Patriots won won 6 titiles without a true #1 receiver". Silly me. What i failed to understand at that time is we had the best QB to ever play the game and that was the reason why. In all those Tom Brady years I only recall one true #1 wide receiver Randy Moss, and Tom Brady offense was off the charts. We only have to wonder how much more successful Tom would have been had the Pats consistently given him true #1 receviers to throw to.

And only 5 took two different teams to a SB:
Vermeil
Parcells
Reeves
Andy Reid
Shula
Only 2 QB's have won SB's with 2 teams (TB12 and the Fivehead) and 2 more have 1 SB with one team and a conference championship with the other (Warner, Morton).

Surprised that's it.

Order of importance in winning football games:

1. Players
2. Coaches

5724. Owner

I don’t know how people feel loyalty to RK, especially after deflate gate and ruining our Super Bowl offseason with his sex trafficking supporting stupidity.
Owners may not win championships, but they can certainly keep the franchise from winning trophies. Ask any of the Redskins/Commanders fans and ex-fans about Daniel Snyder.

It's funny that half of that you could cast blame on Bill Belichick. Who committed Spygate and admitted to it and apologized for it? Bill. Who threw Tom Brady right under the bus at the first press conference after Deflategate and then refused to defend his team to stay out of the fire? Bill. Who was the GM that refused to give Brady a longterm contract and then couldn't keep him here and replaced him with the ghost of Cam Newton? Bill. Which current NFL coach has been rumored to be running around with a girl in her early 20's this year? Bill.

At least make sure the person you are trashing other people has their house in order on some of that stuff.

So I guess he didn't get jerked off at a massage parlor and watch games from a box. Big whoop.
Bill addressed Deflategate once and said that was the end of it to focus on football. He came out with a far more enthusiastic defense of Brady, and made clear what nonsense the whole thing was.

Bill also had an owner near immediately capitulate to Goodell, so from the top down how do you think that's going to work if Bill's continuing to challenge the NFL going forward? With his boss, the owner, who wants to give up out of fear of the NFL taking away his booster seat at the owner's table?

We're also not doing a moral virtue comparison, we're talking about actions that directly impact the success of the football team. Kraft had none after hiring Belichick and Brady.

Last edited:
Owners may not win championships, but they can certainly keep the franchise from winning trophies. Ask any of the Redskins/Commanders fans and ex-fans about Daniel Snyder.
That's right. Owners won't help you win but they can certainly keep you from winning.

Bill addressed Deflategate once and said that was the end of it to focus on football. He came out with a far more enthusiastic defense of Brady, and made clear what nonsense the whole thing was.

Bill also had an owner near immediately capitulate to Goodell, so from the top down how do you think that's going to work if Bill's continuing to challenge the NFL going forward? With his boss, the owner, who wants to give up out of fear of the NFL taking away his booster seat at the owner's table?

We're also not doing a moral virtue comparison, we're talking about actions that directly impact the success of the football. Kraft had none after hiring Belichick and Brady.
As soon as Kraft became owner the team instantly improved and he had them in a Super Bowl before Bill was ever the HC and before Brady was a player in the league. Please.

You wanted to trash Kraft, Bill Belichick was there every step of the way for those missteps. We literally don't lose a draft pick if Bill decides not to do something that he and everyone else believes had no advantage. He was the one who went "hmmm had nothing to do with me ask Tom" as soon as defategate happened.

Like I get that you are angry and want to blame Kraft, but this is so unproductive.

Kraft, Brady and Belichick all played their roles in why this team was successful. This idea that any of them do it without a good relationship and synergy with the other is nonsense.

About 2/3 years ago a poster said we needed a true number 1 wide receiver to be able to compete for a championship. I responded that we didn't. "Patriots won won 6 titiles without a true #1 receiver". Silly me. What i failed to understand at that time is we had the best QB to ever play the game and that was the reason why. In all those Tom Brady years I only recall one true #1 wide receiver Randy Moss, and Tom Brady offense was off the charts. We only have to wonder how much more successful Tom would have been had the Pats consistently given him true #1 receviers to throw to.
And yet, the two Super Bowl losses of the Brady-Belichick tenure came in years they had a first team all-pro receiver with the offense struggling to live up to their standards in the games against the Giants.

As soon as Kraft became owner the team instantly improved and he had them in a Super Bowl before Bill was ever the HC and before Brady was a player in the league. Please.

You wanted to trash Kraft, Bill Belichick was there every step of the way for those missteps. We literally don't lose a draft pick if Bill decides not to do something that he and everyone else believes had no advantage. He was the one who went "hmmm had nothing to do with me ask Tom" as soon as defategate happened.

Like I get that you are angry and want to blame Kraft, but this is so unproductive.

Kraft, Brady and Belichick all played their roles in why this team was successful. This idea that any of them do it without a good relationship and synergy with the other is nonsense.
1. What unique skill does Kraft possess that you can credibly say no other owner in the league is capable of?

2. What exactly has Kraft done for the success of the team apart from being around for it?

Having the drunk owner firing a 6x Superbowl winning coach then immediately confusing the press conference for a celebration doesn't give you confidence?
Might be time for Jonathan to be the one standing in front the microphones.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back