PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter: Bill Belichick & Patriots to Part Ways

Steve would be building his resume by being named DC.

On Offense, we could start with BOB and Josh, but much more is needed. BOB can finally name his own staff. Certainly, Judge and Brown should be gone.
Josh is going wherever Bill goes

Steve would be building his resume by being named DC.

On Offense, we could start with BOB and Josh, but much more is needed. BOB can finally name his own staff. Certainly, Judge and Brown should be gone.
I see your side, truly. Buut, to me, SB is always will be seen as second fiddle to Mayo, after being third fiddle to his dad and him. And if it fails, it's going to be really bad

I do agree with you on the offense side, I'd like to see what BOB can do with a top 2 QB (maybe) and his own guys

and PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, develop just one, ONE, wr. PLEASE

In general, I just have one hopeful wish: Hire guys that bring in NEW ideas. Enough of drinking from the same well, again, and again, and again, and again....

Those owners are patient and give their coaches time. RK gave the GOAT coach two seasons considering we made the playoffs in 2021.
He gave him 4, 5 possibly. We all knew bad drafts were catching up to us as early as 2019. Back then we had a WR and offensive line issue. Brady covered it up barely enough just to get an early exit in the playoffs. It's 2023 and we still have the same line and WR issues. It's been a running joke. Instead of improve we've actually managed to get worse. Now the special teams is following suit. We've been trending downhill since 2019 with a small reprieve after a big spending spree in 2021 and getting a fresh QB and most of that quickly proved to be a mirage that wasn't going to last as most of them proved to be mistakes. He had nearly half a decade to rebuild and bring us back to being a contender. We instead finished 30th in the NFL.

We had 4 wins. For posterity these are the seasons in the Super Bowl era where the team had 4 wins or less.

1967: coach got one more chance
1968: the coach got fired
1969: the coach got fired
1970: the coach got fired
1972: the coach got fired.
1975: Fairbanks survived as it was early on in his tenure and largely because the owner caused a player strike that disrupted the team.
1981: the coach got fired
1990: the coach got fired
1992: the coach got fired
2023: the coach got fired.

Go talk to fans in Washington.
Under Snyder, yes. He was awful.

This may be premature, but I commend the new Washington owner on his GM/HC search. Ron Rivera was fired Monday. Josh Harris knew his football limitations and formed an advisory committee - consisting of himself, three minority owners and two former GMs. They immediately went through the process of requesting permission to interview five candidates, and have already conducted at least five interviews since then.

I like the way they are handling this.

Kraft said they were waiting for this to be done before beginning the search for GM/HC. Said they will be announcing something in the upcoming days. Sounds like they had a plan. I'm feeling hopeful they thought this through for a while. Maybe Curran is right and it is Mayo.
My guess is Curran reported it correctly that they like Mayo but things change too. Now Vrabel is available. They need to talk to other candidates. I think Mayo is still the favorite but by no means a sure thing.

I see your side, truly. Buut, to me, SB is always will be seen as second fiddle to Mayo, after being third fiddle to his dad and him. And if it fails, it's going to be really bad

I do agree with you on the offense side, I'd like to see what BOB can do with a top 2 QB (maybe) and his own guys

and PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, develop just one, ONE, wr. PLEASE

In general, I just have one hopeful wish: Hire guys that bring in NEW ideas. Enough of drinking from the same well, again, and again, and again, and again....
That's going to be instantly cured BB was the jinx for that position he has no eye for Talent at the WR Position. He's the GOAT of HC's but the Worse selecter for WR's.

There's a reason once New England got a serious owner they morphed from unremarkable franchise to consistently relevant.
Two reasons, actually. The hiring of Bill Belichick and the drafting of Tom Brady. Now we are fresh out of reasons.

We will agree that BB might be behind the times a bit when it comes to the way the NFL treats WRs, but that' pure conjecture.

He paid for Henry, Agholor, Smith, and Bourne. He spent a 1st-round pick on Harry. Wrong players, sure, but he was trying to get the offense going.

And it was Flores who drafted Tua, wasn't it?

I think it is safe to say that Belichick would never have traded a first round pick and paid $22 million a year for Tyreek Hill.

You can argue that he overpaid for guys like Agholor, but his entire contract was $22 million. Belichick was willing to pay top dollar #2 and #3 quality WRs not #1s.

I think it is safe to say that Belichick would never have traded a first round pick and paid $22 million a year for Tyreek Hill.

You can argue that he overpaid for guys like Agholor, but his entire contract was $22 million. Belichick was willing to pay top dollar #2 and #3 quality WRs not #1s.
Also complacency in the first round of the draft. More often than not content to wait and see rather than aggressively going after players.

They had to have more patience. Especially with that qb. Abandoning the rebuild when it was almost done is myopic. What comes next will be much much worse

This is the 4th year of the rebuild. The final pieces this team needs would have come in over the next year. We've had 4 straight good drafts. That's a good foundation.

Don't forget Jonno Smith getting him off the books is next to miraculous bravo GM BB.

Two reasons, actually. The hiring of Bill Belichick and the drafting of Tom Brady. Now we are fresh out of reasons.
They went to a Super Bowl within 2 years of him being owner without Bill being HC or Brady even being in the NFL at the time.

Also complacency in the first round of the draft. More often than not content to wait and see rather than aggressively going after players.
That will end with this New Regime thank goodness I am sure if Tee Higgins hits FA he'll be a NEP. :cool:

Feels sad. Like end of an era. This isn’t how it was supposed to end.

Brady pushed out and all we get is one extra year of Bill while we lose

Who would’ve thought back in 2018 when we won against the rams 5 years later it’s all over

When Tom Brady left the Pats I was genuinely excited for him, there was no way he was going to win on that Pats roster and I wanted him to show he could win away from the Pats. Felt the same way about Bill (without Brady) , knowing full well that it was going to be a lot tougher for Belichick than it was for Tom to succeed. Tom could have walked into any any situation of his choosing, and he chose well. Bill was stuck with a roster that had little talent and lost the best QB the game has ever seen. Now hopefully with all these coaching vacancies he can get an opportunity with a good team and be successfull.
Pats fan since 1976, forever gratefull to Bill/Tom for scratching Pats Championship off my bucket list, (AND THEN GET 5 MORE, dang !!)

And Kraft gets credit for hiring BB… and for not sticking his nose in when BB benched a $100 million QB for a 6th rounder.
Yup. Kraft easily could have been influenced by others to avoid Bill after the Browns.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back