PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scar expected back as OL coach next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

luuked

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
From Reiss' usual Sunday column (Patriots' Thuney to make history: 3 Super Bowl starts in first 3 seasons):

The expectation is that invaluable offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia will return in 2019. Scarnecchia, 70, is on the cusp of finishing his third season after returning from a two-year retirement and plans to keep working in '19, barring an unexpected change during the year.

Given the magic he produced I thought it was worth a separate thread.

Another nugget in the column and confirmation what some posters saw during the broadcast:

I see similarities between that club and the current squad, especially when considering last Sunday’s AFC Championship Game: Calling on No. 4 cornerback Jonathan Jones as a centerpiece of coverage plans against Tyreek Hill, and having No. 3 running back Rex Burkhead step in for the final two drives when Sony Michel appeared to be getting his leg rubbed out on the sideline, was the definition of relying on every player on the roster

Seems like Michel was more worn down than injured but that was the reason he "disappeared" after his final TD.

Good news on Scar. Wife gets him out of her hair for another year.

I don't remember them rubbing his leg. He was ok in the locker room. Cramp?

Good news on Scar. Wife gets him out of her hair for another year.

I don't remember them rubbing his leg. He was ok in the locker room. Cramp?

He had 29 carries. That's unusually high, so probably a combination of exhaustion and caution.

Burkhead had fresh legs.

He had 29 carries. That's unusually high, so probably a combination of exhaustion and caution.

Burkhead had fresh legs.
Yea. I think he was just gassed.

Yea. I think he was just gassed.

Equally important, the KC defense was gassed. Even if Michel was OK, being able to seamlessly insert a fresh player at that point in the game is a huge advantage.

Equally important, the KC defense was gassed. Even if Michel was OK, being able to seamlessly insert a fresh player at that point in the game is a huge advantage.
Just watched it. Right after his 2nd TD he seemed to have a slight limp walking to the bench. Once he got there a member of the training staff is tending to the lower part of his right leg. Note his bone on bone alledged condition is the left knee.

Maybe it's unfounded, but losing Scar is kind of a "beginning of the end" feeling to me.

Maybe it's unfounded, but losing Scar is kind of a "beginning of the end" feeling to me.
We did win a Super Bowl without him, though the O-Line took a hit in the mean time...

Best news of the offseason before it even started!

With Mount Brown likely gone, Wynn coming back from redshirt year . this is huge news.

Now extend Thuney for as long as possible and bring some new blood in a deep OL Draft and the most critical position in NFL should be gold for NE for many years to come when the “whisperer“ passes the torch for the second time.
___

Another great nugget from the article that nobody seems to care about until its too late:

Including the playoffs, the Rams and Patriots have had their top offensive lines intact for the longest time of any two teams this season. The Rams’ top line of left tackle Andrew Whitworth, left guard Rodger Saffold, center John Sullivan, right guard Austin Blythe and right tackle Rob Havenstein ranks first in most snaps (1,098), yards gained (7,118) and touchdowns (56) when on the field together. The Patriots’ line of left tackle Brown, left guard Thuney, center David Andrews, right guard Shaq Mason and right tackle Marcus Cannon is second behind the Rams in all three categories.

___

Well worth reading the whole thing . great job on Thuney..

Scar is the GOAT. Already a legend, what he's done with that ol this year is incredible.
After qb, it might be the strongest unit on the team, right there with the secondary.
Patriots have 3 goats. Can't think of another pro team in any sport that can boast that.

tmhyva5dlzws1zgempjf.jpg

Also since we are already on the topic of Reiss nuggets. Here is Reiss on "might Brady retire if he wins the SB":

Less clear about Gronk:

Here is a thought. Has anyone talked about Scar being in the Patriots HOF? I think it deserves conversation.

Should be a shoo-in.

Then again, so should Adams, Francis, Fairbanks and Gray, and really, Stingley.

I like your list, but I would have Scar far ahead in consideration than any of these.

I like your list, but I would have Scar far ahead in consideration than any of these.
Agree.

Same way Tom will be far ahead of anyone else in consideration, when the time comes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back