PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuel v. Fitzgerald - for all you haters out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbb9s

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So Asante left town with the "get paid" tatoo. He was a product of he system. He would sit back in the soft cover 2 that Peas would run out there and then have the luxury to bite underneath for the easy picks with the safety help over the top. Of course he had way too many PI penalties - definitely not worth top 5 CB money.............

I've heard it all here. You guys basically think Pioli and Belichick made the right decisions - let him walk after agreeing not to franchise him........personally this is the big day tomorrow's NFCCG- he lines up against the games 2nd or 3rd best young dynamic receiver on the big stage.

I guess we should find out.

After seeing that Youtube of Deltha jamming at the LOS, I kind of wish they dished out the 10M per year for Asante. The judgement will be tomorrow.

Re: Samuel v. Fitzgerald - For All You Haters outs There

Oh crap, here we go again. Too bad Philly has Sheldon Brown to help out and a couple quality Safeties, not to mention Lito Shepherd coming off the bench.

Oh crap, here we go again. Too bad Philly has Sheldon Brown to help out and a couple quality Safeties, not to mention Lito Shepherd coming off the bench.
I'm glad HE isn't the GM.....I share the oh crap here we go again comment...LOL...Maybe a practice squad thread??

Cue condon84 and aluminum seats.

Okay.... so what you're saying is. IF we still had Asante, we would have beat Fitzgerald and the Cardnials by MORE than 40 points in week 16?

That's pretty bold.

This horse has been dead for a long time and nothing that happens today will change it.

The issue in letting him go wasn't that he isn't a very good football player. It was a business decision and a sound one. There were issues with trying to fill that hole with stiffs like Fernando Bryant and Delta O'neal. That is in the past now and rehashing it is boring at this point.

Last edited:

If the Eagles didn't acquire Samuel, there would have been no way the Eagles would have gotten into the playoffs with a 9-6-1 record and the Cowboys and Bucs would never had choked at the end of the season.

The Eagles are playing well now, but the Pats could be playing today if they were in a conference where 9 wins got you into the playoffs. Heck, they might be playing now if 11 games guaranteed a playoff spot (which virtually every year it does). Samuel has had some good games in the playoffs, but he went up against Tavaras Jackson who was benched for Gus Frerotte this season and Eli Manning who played like crap even when he wasn't throwing in Samuel's direction.

If the Bucs didn't choke vs. the Raiders and the Jets beat the Dolphins, the storyline today might have been how Belichick can win with any player and Eagle fans might be questioning whether it was worth acquiring Samuel. Not complaining, but people act like Samuel was dominant this season and he helped the Eagles roll on teams in the regular season. The Eagles were lucky to get into the playoffs. They deserve credit for making the most of their opportunity, but they would have been eliminated weeks before season ended if they were in the AFC.

BTW, I think the Pats did the right thing. If the Pats signed Samuel, they might have had to let Moss walk or possibly Wilfork after this upcoming season or both. There are only so many players you can pay top dollar.

Last edited:

FWIW That ball was pretty high, Assante leaped pretty high but still the ball was at his fingertips.
Didn' t look that easy to me.
It's not like the ball went right into his gut and he dropped it.
Still, I think the Pats FO did the right thing.

If the Eagles win the SB, does this help our comp pick for letting Samuel walk?

Not that I know of. Individual awards help, but not team awards like the Super Bowl. Don't know for sure since the formula for determining compensatory draft picks are not actually known for sure. Him making the Pro Bowl should increase the value of the pick though.

Not that I know of. Individual awards help, but not team awards like the Super Bowl. Don't know for sure since the formula for determining compensatory draft picks are not actually known for sure. Him making the Pro Bowl should increase the value of the pick though.

Here's hoping he returns two picks to the house for SB MVP, hehe

He would sit back in the soft cover 2 that Peas...

Isn't understanding what one of the most basic coverages calls for a requisate for evaluating tallent?

It is what it is with Asante. He was a 4th rounder, didn't get the 1st rounder money to start out with, took a 9 million 1 year deal and then cashed in his chips. He's a 60 million dollar 6 picks a year corner who will give up the big play and can't play man.

I guess in today's game, having good ball skills will get you 60 mil.

Last edited:
Destined for the practice squad thread, at best!

The formula for determining picks is a secret, but the consensus view seems to be player performance, including awards, and team success are factors.

And Asante's tattoo says "Get Rich To This," supposedly in reference to a song, as has been stated and restated every time the issue is mentioned. That misunderstanding does not mean "Get Paid" is not his personal motto.

I am hoping Boldin and Fitzgerald make him look like a juggling clown out there today as that should put an end to these threads. He had 4 interceptions over 16 games in the regular season while "getting paid" $9.3 million a year and showed up in the post-season after the Bucs helped him to get there. His apologists somehow overlook that fact of late after labeling him the Eagles' white knight. More kneejerk responses that would not have come but for post-season interceptions.

I join those voting to send this tired topic to the minors.

Last edited:
Samuel is getting paid as if he's the best cornerback in the NFL, and is making more money than Randy Moss this year. Some of us think that he's a good cornerback who's not worth that amount of money. If that's "haters" in your mind, you really need to change your interpretation of the definition.

So Asante left town with the "get paid" tatoo. He was a product of he system. He would sit back in the soft cover 2 that Peas would run out there and then have the luxury to bite underneath for the easy picks with the safety help over the top. Of course he had way too many PI penalties - definitely not worth top 5 CB money.............

I've heard it all here. You guys basically think Pioli and Belichick made the right decisions - let him walk after agreeing not to franchise him........personally this is the big day tomorrow's NFCCG- he lines up against the games 2nd or 3rd best young dynamic receiver on the big stage.

I guess we should find out.

After seeing that Youtube of Deltha jamming at the LOS, I kind of wish they dished out the 10M per year for Asante. The judgement will be tomorrow.
Thanks for the YouTube. The INT he missed wasn't that easy. Comparison with Buckner is ludicrous. BTW, peas roll off a knife, Pees coaches for the Patriots.

Everyone wishes we had Samuel but he is what he is. He's great at guessing and jumping routes, he also gets beaten and sometimes is made to pay for it; like on the first pass last week that Ellie missed for a sure TD.

Let it go. They should have won 2 more SB's with him on the team. Poor drafting cost them the game in Indy and AS had a shot at closing the game in Phoenix last year. He played well and helped the team win. Time to move on and concentrate on the future stars of the D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots