PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuel and Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
USAToday's, Inside Slant, states that if samuel makes it to free agency,that the Broncos would make a big push to sign him, pairing him and Champ Bailey.

That would only give me more incentive to resign him, then allowing a rival to roll out this corner tandum.

www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/patriots/home.htm

USAToday's, Inside Slant, states that if samuel makes it to free agency,that the Broncos would make a big push to sign him, pairing him and Champ Bailey.

That would only give me more incentive to resign him, then allowing a rival to roll out this corner tandum.

www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/patriots/home.htm

Any idea who wrote that? I thought that was an excellent synopsis.

These team reports are always very informative.

Denver isn't in the best cap space

26 Denver Broncos $7.6 M

compared to the rest of the league

and the Pats will franchise him any way.

Shanahan won't give up a number one for him and it'll take at least that.

Denver isn't in the best cap space

26 Denver Broncos $7.6 M

compared to the rest of the league

and the Pats will franchise him any way.

Shanahan won't give up a number one for him and it'll take at least that.
Like Seattle, Shanahan WOULD give up a number one next year if he expected to do well next season.

No match for Gaffney and Caldwell. Advantage Patriots.

I'd love to do a sign and trade with Denver for Asante. He gets to pay 2 CBs like Champ Bailey, but Asante's no Champ Bailey, plus we get a pick.

It's gotta tie up their salary cap an we'll ask for another #1.

Last edited:
I'd love to do a sign and trade with Denver for Asante. He gets to pay 2 CBs like Champ Bailey, but Asante's no Champ Bailey, plus we get a pick.

It's gotta tie up their salary cap an we'll ask for another #1.

I was thinking the same thing. But would you want 3 number 1 pics this year, or would you be willing to defer the pic to next year?

Can any team really afford to have that much cap space wrapped up in a pair of cornerbacks?

Can any team really afford to have that much cap space wrapped up in a pair of cornerbacks?

My thoughts, not sure that this makes much financial sense for any team, let alone a team that has a lot of cash already tied up. Here Samuel is #1, there he will be a distant #2, can he adapt to that change as his role may differ? The USA article is pretty good.

My thoughts, not sure that this makes much financial sense for any team, let alone a team that has a lot of cash already tied up. Here Samuel is #1, there he will be a distant #2, can he adapt to that change as his role may differ? The USA article is pretty good.

They can if they think that the Salary Cap is going to jump or be scrapped....

They can if they plan to replace Plummer's salary with Asante's cap number.

BTW, just because the Broncos were under the cap by $7.6 million on 1/3 it does not mean that they can't free up cap space.

Each team decides how to spend its cap money. Can a team afford to consider its two corners among their top five players. I don't see why not.

Each team decides how to spend its cap money. Can a team afford to consider its two corners among their top five players. I don't see why not.

Obviously I appreciate that they can. It just seems like a strange place to be spending quite that much money. I keep reading here and elsewhere that it would be difficult for the Pats to have such a high proportion of cap space locked up, theroetically, by Brady and a top dollar deal for Samuel. But doing it for a couple of corners makes less sense that that, to me at least. Given that Bailey effectively locks up one side by himself, do you really want to pay someone else $6-8m a year to shut down the second wide receiver. Gives you a hell of a pass defence, but it must weaken other points.

Denver doesn't need another good corner, they need a decent D-line. Dominique Foxworth will move into the starting slot.

Put it another way. If we didn'y have Hobbs, should we be willing to sign Champ Bailey at an a cap of $7M a year for the next few years? Would you rather have Bailey or Rosey Colvin who costs $6.4M? I'm not choosing, just pointing out that it can be very reasonable indeed to have two top corners.

Obviously I appreciate that they can. It just seems like a strange place to be spending quite that much money. I keep reading here and elsewhere that it would be difficult for the Pats to have such a high proportion of cap space locked up, theroetically, by Brady and a top dollar deal for Samuel. But doing it for a couple of corners makes less sense that that, to me at least. Given that Bailey effectively locks up one side by himself, do you really want to pay someone else $6-8m a year to shut down the second wide receiver. Gives you a hell of a pass defence, but it must weaken other points.

This is why you Franchise Samuel. So if he goes to Denver, The Jest or another direct competitor he goes at the price of a #1 pick. Otherwise he doesn't go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes