PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sammy Watkins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be all for bring Amendola back (love the guy), but a few things:

1) I'm not sure he's real keen on playing for BB again. Not that he hates the guy, but they seem to have very different views on his value, and I think that sticks with him.

2) I know that watching what happened last year makes us want a guaranteed, 100%, super fast acting panacea type solution to the offense. That's why we look to people like Dola, or Gronk coming out of retirement, or Andrews getting healthy, etc. We know those players, and we know they can succeed here, so it seems like a quick fix. But (drafting them aside), this team has continuously found players that fit them, even after many others have left.

I would welcome Amendola back with open arms if he wants to give it another go. But we don't NEED to always be looking at the known players and assuming that no one else we bring in could possibly be the next Amendola, or the next Welker, or the next Moss, or whoever else you want to think back on. When we signed Amendola back in the day, if I had told you that in 2020 we'd be pining for him to come back and save us, you would have laughed me right off the forums.

I am all for bringing Amendola back if he is basically an ancillary luxury signing. If they sign him and some group similar to last year I do not think that is good enough. They need to make a move for a solid receiver. They don't necessarily need a superstar. A Brandon Lafell or Chris Hogan type combined with Amendola would be a good group that shouldn't break the bank.

At his salary he won’t be here next year for us to find out
That's the thing about Belichick. He'll ignore the sunk cost fallacy and get rid of a guy but he'll also ignore the sunk cost fallacy and keep a guy too if he thinks he can turn it around.

Mohammed Sanu is incredible talented and I have very little reason to believe he won't turn things around.

That's the thing about Belichick. He'll ignore the sunk cost fallacy and get rid of a guy but he'll also ignore the sunk cost fallacy and keep a guy too if he thinks he can turn it around.

Mohammed Sanu is incredible talented and I have very little reason to believe he won't turn things around.

giphy.gif

I am all for bringing Amendola back if he is basically an ancillary luxury signing. If they sign him and some group similar to last year I do not think that is good enough.

Actually the hole is so big due to so many draft failures that with what they have in cap space and draft picks (like, not having a 2nd) good enough is a bar to high. If Brady is back the Pats will be a contender like always but we better get used to the idea of a difficult rebuilding year.

Give me Amendola and AB before the Queefs do.

If Sanu is worth $6.5M, then I suspect that Bill will try to extend Sanu, reducing the cap, and getting a #3 WR for longer. I don't know what this has to do with sunk cost, except for those who think that we HAVE to keep him because we spent a 2nd for him.

#1 - I suppose that Edelman is a #1 if Brady is back. Otherwise, we need a #1 instead of a #2.

#2 - we don't have one

#3 - we have Sanu or whoever Belichick uses his money for if he cuts Sanu (after seeing what is available)

#4 - Harry

#5 (if there is one) - Meyers, a draftee, or a free agent
=============
So, we go into free agency needing a top WR (#1 or #2), a #1 and #2 TE. For me, this is not much different from other years.

So, we go into free agency needing a top WR (#1 or #2), a #1 and #2 TE. For me, this is not much different from other years.
I think it’s a bit more challenging than other years, but the addition of a “real” free agent passing target along with another high round draft pick could go a long way. I don’t think it matters which position goes where, although there might be a preference for a top tier FA wide receiver over tight end.

No.

He’s just a name living off his draft pedigree and a big game every once in a while. Often injured, underwhelming production overall. Some team will overpay for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes