PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saints fans observation who attended patriots mini camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Butler is "head and shoulders" above the other secondary guys, especially with all the buzz Gilmore got. I suppose the buzz was all about his athleticism (how many damn times are we going to see "smooth" and his name in the same sentence?), not his play.

I'm lying in Gillette,
I'm pinned against the grid.
A rookie's cleats upon my heart,
Flying Elvis on my head.
He's peeling off towards the zone.
I'm wincing in the light.
Matt Patricia's looking anxious,
And I'm quivering in fright

I'm looking through Stephon Gilmore's eyes.

I found this interesting:

They seem to be using him in the slot more often than not along with edeleman.
With Cooks' quickness and explosiveness, I thought from the moment they got him that he'd be a hell of a slot guy. I think I got downvoted a few times when I said that because of fans wanting Cooks to be Moss. A little quick guy like Cooks could be brilliant as an inside receiver. Not as sexy as going for that home run ball, but more fundamentally sound. Cooks can absolutely be a huge weapon in moving the chains, and can still be let free to chase the deep ball from time to time if defenses get complacent. Besides, we have Hogan for the deep routes and he's good enough, and Mitchell's a good up and comer for that role too, that gives us the freedom to move Cooks around in a number of different roles depending on what defenses give us. Good thinking Bill.

Last edited:
With Cooks' quickness and explosiveness, I thought from the moment they got him that he'd be a hell of a slot guy. I think I got downvoted a few times when I said that because of fans wanting Cooks to be Moss. A little quick guy like Cooks could be brilliant as an inside receiver. Not as sexy as going for that home run ball, but more fundamentally sound. Cooks can absolutely be a huge weapon in moving the chains, and can still be let free to chase the deep ball from time to time if defenses get complacent. Besides, we have Hogan for the deep routes and he's good enough, and Mitchell's a good up and comer for that role too, that gives us the freedom to move Cooks around in a number of different roles depending on what defenses give us. Good thinking Bill.

I think the key is that Cooks can command #1 CB coverage or coverage with safety help which leaves the rest of the opposing defense the responsibility of covering the rest of the Super Bowl winning receiving corp. :eek:

Teams will need a hefty pass rush to slow the Pats down. But with two receivers that can play the slot at an elite level a pass rush may not be enough.

Dime? Gillislee smiles at loose change packages.

How many days left until opening night? :D

In 2016 brady completed the deep ball at a higher rate than Any qb in the NFL

I don't think that leading some stat for 3/4 of 1 season out of 16 doesn't change the fact that the long pass 'hasn't been one of his strengths.'

I don't think that leading some stat for 3/4 of 1 season out of 16 doesn't change the fact that the long pass 'hasn't been one of his strengths.'
Except it does. Brady has worked very hard on his deep ball over the years and it's not a natural skill of his but it's definitely good enough to offset his devestating short passes.

Brady has the luxury of a lot of strength inside and short, slot routes and end runs for 5 yard gains, both in terms of personnel and his own talent. he doesn't need to go to try to beat the secondary on deep routes unless he's sure he's got a home run. Gunslingers have a lower complete rate than guys like TB12 because they use the home run ball as a primary strategy, in other words, they do a lot of gambling on deep balls. Brady's bread and butter is the short drop pass and the 5 yard gain, he's absolutely deadly on short laser passes. So when he does go deep it's because he's sure, and of course that will lead to a higher success rate.

It's inaccurate to say that "Brady is not good on the deep pass." It's kind of lime complaining about Curt Schilling's curve ball. Yeah, it's not what he does best, compared to guys who do it really well he's perhaps not as prolific on the long pass, but he does it well enough that his whole suite of skills is completely impressive. Like the curveball of a fastball-split pitcher, Brady's long game is a weapon he can use well enough to keep defenders off the short passes he lives and dies on, and maybe a little better beyond that. That's all he needs it to be.

I'll pump the brakes on evaluating the defense in May mini camp

Dude doesn't know what a mini-camp is for.

The only thing I can't figure out is which one of these best describes this guy.
40fe5e88a6e8ceef68613bf2042803bf.jpg

He's definitely a tape measure

I actually don't know any of them or follow them. I have an account at the Saints fan forum and the guy posted photos etc... of his girlfriend.

@pherein says saintsreport is like a cesspool.(I'm paraphrasing) Why would you have an account there?

@pherein says saintsreport is like a cesspool.(I'm paraphrasing) Why would you have an account there?

Not sure why but either last season or the season before I signed up for a few sites. Cowboys, Saints and a few others but I don't remember which. Anyways it was something I did a year a two ago.

Interesting that Butler is "head and shoulders" above the other secondary guys, especially with all the buzz Gilmore got. I suppose the buzz was all about his athleticism (how many damn times are we going to see "smooth" and his name in the same sentence?), not his play.

It's mini camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes