PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saints block Aaron Glenn from DC promotion

Bourne Again Christian

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Just as the title reads Saints will not allow Bengals to interview Aaron Glenn for their vacant DC position.
This is surprising since it's a promotion.

Last edited:
Just as the title reads Saints will now allow Bengals to interview Aaron Glenn for their vacant DC position.
This is surprising since it's a promotion.
I'm assuming this should read "will not allow" rather than "will now allow"?

I was under the impression that teams COULDN'T stop a coach from pursuing a promotion to a higher position. Am I wrong?

I was under the impression that teams COULDN'T stop a coach from pursuing a promotion to a higher position. Am I wrong?

I think this really only applies to coordinators. For everyone else there is no specific language and it is the wild west. Generally teams are trying not to be ****s about upwards movement because what goes around also comes around and they might gain a reputation for being assholes when it comes to this kind of things.

It is confusing.

Just like how the Pats blocked Monte and Nick from interviewing for the GM role with HOU as it seemed that role was a promotion.

I presume these guys have contracts with terms and rules and aren't just employed at will.

When my daughter was little, and didn't want to go to a party she was invited too, she struggled with how to get out of it without hurting the other kid's feelings. I said "No problem. You can't go. Tell her Dad said no." Her face lit up. Got her off the hook without losing face in middle school.

Sean Payton: Bengals want to interview you.
Aaron Glenn. Ugh. For what?
SP: DC.
*long pause*
SP: Want me to tell them to eff off?
AG: Please.

The New Orleans Saints will not be granting interviews for Aaron Glenn.

That rule only applies if a team's off/def coordinator (or assistant coach) is going to be promoted to Head Coach of another team. I have advocated adding offensive and defensive coordinator to the list of "promotions" that lower level coaches can't be blocked from, but it isn't exactly something I care terribly much about.

Strictly speaking, the NFL considers all non-HC coaching positions to be lateral moves for the purposes of that rule.

It is confusing.

Just like how the Pats blocked Monte and Nick from interviewing for the GM role with HOU as it seemed that role was a promotion.

For GM the rules are a bit different: people who don't have final say over the 53 can't be blocked from a position that does.

It is confusing.

That one was due to a different rule. The Patriots could block them from interviewing while they were still alive in the playoffs, but wouldn't have been able to block them after their postseason was over. The Texans hired somebody else instead of waiting almost a month to interview those guys.

Yeah, let's think about the outcomes of forcing someone to remain your employee in a high profile, influential job where their discretionary effort, creativity, team member behavior, and loyalty are significant performance factors.

I think @Steve:Section 102 Section 102 probably has the right answer here.

I think this really only applies to coordinators. For everyone else there is no specific language and it is the wild west. Generally teams are trying not to be ****s about upwards movement because what goes around also comes around and they might gain a reputation for being assholes when it comes to this kind of things.

When my daughter was little, and didn't want to go to a party she was invited too, she struggled with how to get out of it without hurting the other kid's feelings. I said "No problem. You can't go. Tell her Dad said no." Her face lit up. Got her off the hook without losing face in middle school.

Sean Payton: Bengals want to interview you.
Aaron Glenn. Ugh. For what?
SP: DC.
*long pause*
SP: Want me to tell them to eff off?
AG: Please.

The New Orleans Saints will not be granting interviews for Aaron Glenn.

For GM the rules are a bit different: people who don't have final say over the 53 can't be blocked from a position that does.

That one was due to a different rule. The Patriots could block them from interviewing while they were still alive in the playoffs, but wouldn't have been able to block them after their postseason was over. The Texans hired somebody else instead of waiting almost a month to interview those guys.

Yes- It was because of the Pats were in the playoffs. Once the Pats were eliminated HOU could have interviewed them and the NEP couldn't have done a damn thing about it.

Yeah, let's think about the outcomes of forcing someone to remain your employee in a high profile, influential job where their discretionary effort, creativity, team member behavior, and loyalty are significant performance factors.

I think @Steve:Section 102 Section 102 probably has the right answer here.
Agree.

That rule only applies if a team's off/def coordinator (or assistant coach) is going to be promoted to Head Coach of another team. I have advocated adding offensive and defensive coordinator to the list of "promotions" that lower level coaches can't be blocked from, but it isn't exactly something I care terribly much about.
I think they should why stunt their professional and financial growth?
I have a hypothetical proposal why not treat non head coaches as restricted free agents and teams can negotiate with them for a certain period.
The original team has the option of matching the pay or promotion or lose the cosch but be compensated by a late round draft pick.
Maybe make the free agency period for assistant coaches 2 weeks and a different time before teams can negotiate with players.

Thoughts?

I think they should why stunt their professional and financial growth?
My theory is that they are afraid of teams poaching assistant coaches from other teams and calling them "coordinator" when they aren't really the coordinator.
I have a hypothetical proposal why not treat non head coaches as restricted free agents and teams can negotiate with them for a certain period.
The original team has the option of matching the pay or promotion or lose the cosch but be compensated by a late round draft pick.
Maybe make the free agency period for assistant coaches 2 weeks and a different time before teams can negotiate with players.

Thoughts?
I like that idea.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots