PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Russell Wilson might be unhappy in Seattle

Why do players complain afterwards knowing their situation prior, yet sign an extension?

Wilson is becoming kind of a choker in the playoffs.

That's it... Mahomes to NE for Simon and a 6th thread in 5, 4, 3, 2...

I've come to appreciate Wilson's overall game and think he's a top quarterback despite his flaws, but I'll reiterate exactly what I've been saying for years about him and why isn't as great as his passer rating:
  • He's under 6'0", and it really stands out because he can't see over linemen on a lot of plays. This leads to him scrambling around and buying time when taller QBs would have read the field a lot easier.
  • He's actually better when the play breaks down and he throws on the run; that's where he gets most of his big plays and he relies on receivers athleticism over anything else.
  • He seems unable to run a discliplined system of precise route running and quick passes which would lead to less sacks, mainly due to the first two points. That style doesn't suit him.
  • His entire career has been a whining fest about the offensive line even though Seattle has attempted to fix it many times. Basically every quarterback that scrambles as much as him or did at one point (Watson, Rodgers) always use the line as an excuse, but 320 lbs linemen are built to be stationary and not to run around blocking guys from different angles as you tuck the ball and run like a game of playground tag.
Notice how the Packers offensive line suddenly became the best unit in football since Rodgers reigned in his scrambling under Matt LaFleur's guidance, or how the Buccaneers offensive linemen are suddenly elite when they know what they need to do for a 2.5 seconds? The Steelers supposedly had the worst line in the NFL for years, followed by the best, coinciding with Roethlisberger playing more in the pocket.

That said, I would take Wilson in a split second as the Patriots quarterback. He is a Hall of Fame QB. It's just that I wouldn't expect protection to be much better anywhere else.

Also only a $19M cap hit in 2021 to whoever gets him. Wow.

This type of stuff (Rodgers/Watson/Carr/Cousins/Goff/Stafford/Dak/Wentz) is part of Peak QB.

The QB contracts to infinity is coming to an end and nobody wants to be the last one off.

Maybe if he wasn't paid so much.........?????

It would actually cost the Seahawks an additional $7M in cap hit to trade Wilson. So I have to chalk this up to "unlikely to happen".

I agree Wilson is largely at fault, but he should have brought it up before his extension if he had a problem with it. Also, this problem isn't likely to go away. Building a good OL takes years. It is a constant process. You need to make it clear to your team that is where you want an investment over the course of years, whining about it on social media in hopes it is going to be fixed in one off season just won't work generally. They are only as strong as their weakest link. So signing one or two high priced lineman doesn't help them they way it does other positions.

1) fair amount of truth to this, haven't had substantial cash into the line since their SB
2) he's moving too much, often time scrambles into a sack
3) holding the ball too long looking for the big play

And finally: you're making 30+ mill against the cap now, good luck getting 5 studs in front of you.

$39M dead cap hit if traded. On the other hand, it's $26M next year, so it's not like there would be an ideal time to trade him, as with most superstars and their contracts.

By the way, Wilson and Seattle love to ***** at each other through the press, especially about contracts.

I think about a 0.00001% chance he's traded?

1612900362009.png

I don't see the Seahawks trading him unless someone was willing to give up something like four first rounders, three second rounders, and an impact players. He isn't going anywhere.

No way this happens. Wilson is, however, the QB I’d most want NE to get - by far - of all the names thrown out. Including Watson. This is the player I’d gladly trot out a bunch of high picks to acquire...

Again, there’s no way. But I’d be overjoyed.

Are we actually going to entertain this? Fine.
1) fair amount of truth to this, haven't had substantial cash into the line since their SB
2) he's moving too much, often time scrambles into a sack
3) holding the ball too long looking for the big play

And finally: you're making 30+ mill against the cap now, good luck getting 5 studs in front of you.
1. Is a GM issue, misspending and misallocating funds.
2. and 3. are coaching points. That's on the coach to point this out.
$39M dead cap hit if traded. On the other hand, it's $26M next year, so it's not like there would be an ideal time to trade him, as with most superstars and their contracts.

By the way, Wilson and Seattle love to ***** at each other through the press, especially about contracts.

I think about a 0.00001% chance he's traded?

View attachment 30348
less that .000001% chance in my opinion. This is him being coy with the media, and maybe eff'ing with Seattle to think about entertaining a trade. Oh, Brady did it. I can do it. I can go someplace else and win now. Except this ain't the NBA. But maybe teams should not pay these stupid contracts and then have buyers remorse a few years later, assuming that's the case in Seattle. If they really want to emulate Tom Brady, take a team friendly deal at your peak, out perform the deal and leave money on the table and most importantly, cap space on the spread sheet to get you the help you need.

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back