PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Back at 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to be a ****, but what makes you think Evans is a lock? I know they resigned him, but I can't imagine they'd take much of a hit cutting him.

Evans is servicable, but he is upgradable and dispensable.

If they can grab another bigger back to upgrade from him I think they will.

Evans became am uch better blocker last year and he can run the ball sometimes..hes still getting better and hes cheap, and he said he loves it here and thats why he didnt care at all about the $

Evans became am uch better blocker last year and he can run the ball sometimes..hes still getting better and hes cheap, and he said he loves it here and thats why he didnt care at all about the $

No offense to Evans, I think he can say he didn't care about the money, but at the end of the day, I don't think there was anyone knocking his door down.

He's a marginal NFL player at one of the league's most fungible positions.

And IMO he should consider himself lucky if he is on the roster to start the season.

I'd like to see Brandon Jackson taken in the 3rd/4th.
Cousin this is all about how we feel about a prospect and we are all entitled to our opinion. I respect your selection but Why?
Here is my take if you do not mind. Read up the skinny on Jackson. 200 pounder that only makes yards if he gets through the initial hole. Will not move the pile. Not a between the tackles runner that we need to compliment our other backs. We need someone 230lbs or more to take the Dillion role of moving chains. I do like Booker alright but he is another type venue. A R.Bush designed player. Flank him. Have him return kicks etc.

We need a guy like Michael Bush (injury drops him to our high 4th?), Hunt or Henry (who is still an unknown quantity but less mileage and wear and tear on him and a faster Dillion perhaps).

Nobody mentions him but I like the kid from Hawaii, Ilaoa. 5' 9" and about 245 of bowling ball with almost a 1,000 yds (990)rushing and 1,000 yds (837) receiving (67 catches!) in 2006. He has great vision and hands and his forte is to break tackles. He can be had in the 6 or 7 round perhaps. He was originally a receiver! He is not a speed merchant but a change of pace pounder.

The skinny on Ilaoa:
Short, stout ball carrier who moves well on the field. Follows blocks, shows some swivel in his runs and flashes power, picking up yardage off initial contact. Puts his shoulders down when tackled and drives forward. Solid receiver out of the backfield offering reliable hands. Do not ignore him out of the backfield or he will burn you.

Any above mentioned would be fine. I wouldn't mind having Ilaoa staring a red zone drive on about the ten and pounding the rest of the way in. Saw him in the Hula Bowl and how do you tackle a moving amusement park bumper car?!

The skinny on Jackson:
Jackson moves on to the next level after just a single productive season. He does not possess the size to be a feature runner, but his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield as well as his running style makes him well-suited to be a third-down back. Not a tackle breaker.

We have Faulk and Morris for that job.

My point is drafting a RB at #28 means that someone kidnapped Maroney and BB sent Faulk, Morris and Evans to look for him and they haven't come back either. I think the guys I mentioned are available after three or round four.
DW Toys

Not trying to be a ****, but what makes you think Evans is a lock? I know they resigned him, but I can't imagine they'd take much of a hit cutting him.

Evans is servicable, but he is upgradable and dispensable.

If they can grab another bigger back to upgrade from him I think they will.
Cousin,
I am sure you might agree that Evans was maybe the top ST guy at the end of 2006. He really upped his intensity. Any new RB will be slotted for that job as well. A RB alone won't be enough bump Evans IMO.
DW Toys

Cousin,
I am sure you might agree that Evans was maybe the top ST guy at the end of 2006. He really upped his intensity. Any new RB will be slotted for that job as well. A RB alone won't be enough bump Evans IMO.
DW Toys

Hey, I'm not your cousin! :p

I didn't pay too close attention to ST, so can't comment on Evans. But I think its a given anyway that any rookie RB the Pats potentially draft will have to be able to play ST well, so I wouldn't factor that in too highly to Evans chances.

A. We usually carry more than 4 running backs. Please post the total starting each season, including those on PUP.

B. Mills has never carried the ball in his career. He had a great career as a TE.
We signed up two TE's because of the likely loss of Graham. Thomas has turned out great. We have also signed up Kyle Brady. We could keep a 4th TE/hback or not. Mills could make the team as a STer. But Mills cannot be counted on for any of the roles in the running back rotation.

C. You have your opinion that Morris is the #2 back and will therefore need to share time with Maroney and step in for him as needed). You believe that this is bb's opinion because we pay him $1.3M a year. You believe that this means that we should not sign a Day One running back. I disagree on all counts. That is my opinion. We may not NEED to sign a Day One running back. We do need a backup running back, and perhaps even a short down running back to share the load with Maroney. Morris is a fine Ster and will take some of Faulk's reps.
===================================

If you wish You can believe that bb will carry four running backs, or that he will count on Mills to play a major role at running back if Maroney is injured. You may believe that we need no running back for the future to eventually take reps from Evens and Faulk. You may choose to believe that we have in any way replaced Dillon. Morris replaed Pass not Dillon. Dillon remains unreplaced, although if everyone steps ups, and there are no injuries, we will be fine.

Someone please explain this "need' for us to be looking at RBs, especially in the first day. Have the Pats suddenly gotten dispensation from the 53 roster limitation. Here are some facts that most of you seem to forget

1. there is a 53 man roster limitation

2. The Pats already have 4 guys (Moroney, Morris, Evans, & Faulk) who are LOCKS to be on that roster.

3. They also have a kid they've invested time in Mills as a FB/HB player.

4. Over the last few season the Pats have often kept only 4 RBs on the roster.

5. At MOST the Pats will keep 5 RB/FB/HB on the roster

All those facts being true, just where would you put the RB you all are pimping in this thread...on the PS?

For whatever reason, BB has decided that Sammy Morris is going to be the 2nd back in this offense....PERIOD. He might not meet OUR profile of who that 2nd back should be, but he fits BB's. ;)

The only RB I can possibly see is a late 2nd day pick who will end up on the PS. If the Pats DO take a 3rd or 4th round RB, then I can only surmise that Mills is toast if there are no TE injuries

If you want to upgrade the running game, the best place to start is on the OL. I just don't see any Barry Sanders-type backs in this draft or on our roster.

O'Callaghan, Kaczur and Light have all had injury issues. Britt is a PS guy trying to hang on. Mankins, Neal and Koppen are solid with Hochstein/Yates/Mrucmouthfull (Spelling?) as back-ups.

I could see a Tackle at 28 before a RB. Another BIG road-grader with an attitude. We spent a 1st last year and picked up a solid FA back-up this year to replace an oft-injured and a very noticeably slowing Dillon.

Of course this theory could be totally blown out of the water if Belioli decides the RB position is as important as TE/FB tweeners or DE's that project as LB's in the NFL.

Maybe these words will come back to haunt me, but I don't see the Pats drafting a RB on Day 1.

Last edited:
Something that those who have babbled on about Faulk still being here isn't just that he will be 31 when the season starts, but that he's been injured each of the last 3 years and has missed quite a few key games.

And, lets not forget that the Pats had all 3 of their top RBs INJURED by the 4th quarter of the AFCCG. Dillon was out. Faulk was out. Maroney had re-injured his ribs and was out. The Pats were STUCK relying on Evans. That turned the Pats into a one dimensional team.

So, while I agree that the depth looks nice on paper, it would be nice to have someone else back there capable of pounding the ball. That is something Brian Leonard or Tony Hunt could do. Or, having a Lorenzo Booker scat-back type runner back there would be nice.

If you want to upgrade the running game, the best place to start is on the OL. I just don't see any Barry Sanders-type backs in this draft or on our roster.

Agreed.

O'Callaghan, Kaczur and Light have all had injury issues. Britt is a PS guy trying to hang on. Mankins, Neal and Koppen are solid with Hochstein/Yates/Mrucmouthfull (Spelling?) as back-ups.

Nothing like totally understating things. Koppen was returning from injury and he played damn well. Mankins played at near All-Pro level.

I could see a Tackle at 28 before a RB. Another BIG road-grader with an attitude. We spent a 1st last year and picked up a solid FA back-up this year to replace an oft-injured and a very noticeably slowing Dillon.

Of course this theory could be totally blown out of the water if Belioli decides the RB position is as important as TE/FB tweeners or DE's that project as LB's in the NFL.

Maybe these words will come back to haunt me, but I don't see the Pats drafting a RB on Day 1.

With the Pats moving to a zone blocking scheme, you're not going to see them take a road-grader. That's why I believe Staley is on their list. An athletic OT who is very good in pass protection and good in run blocking.

Someone please explain this "need' for us to be looking at RBs, especially in the first day. Have the Pats suddenly gotten dispensation from the 53 roster limitation. Here are some facts that most of you seem to forget

1. there is a 53 man roster limitation

2. The Pats already have 4 guys (Moroney, Morris, Evans, & Faulk) who are LOCKS to be on that roster.

3. They also have a kid they've invested time in Mills as a FB/HB player.

PFK -
Evans and Faulk aren't LOCKS by any stretch of the imagination. Faulk is an injury waiting to happen. Evans is only average. Mills has never been a FB. He's never lined up at the position. He's never run the ball in his career.

4. Over the last few season the Pats have often kept only 4 RBs on the roster.

5. At MOST the Pats will keep 5 RB/FB/HB on the roster

In the years that the Pats have kept less than 5 on the active roster, they have been bitten by injury. Even last year, they lost Faulk, Dillon and Maroney to injury by the AFCCG. They had to rely on Evans. And, well, Evans didn't prove to be he could do it. In fact, Brady looked him off when Evans was wide open deep. It would have won the game for the Pats.

All those facts being true, just where would you put the RB you all are pimping in this thread...on the PS?

For whatever reason, BB has decided that Sammy Morris is going to be the 2nd back in this offense....PERIOD. He might not meet OUR profile of who that 2nd back should be, but he fits BB's. ;)

The only RB I can possibly see is a late 2nd day pick who will end up on the PS. If the Pats DO take a 3rd or 4th round RB, then I can only surmise that Mills is toast if there are no TE injuries

I think that the Pats need someone in the pipeline who is going to replace Faulk. I can see it being someone like Leonard who has some similar skills to Faulk in his route running and pass catching, but also has straight line running ability (antithesis of Maroney). I could also see them going with a Lorenzo Booker type player who is closer to Faulk in many ways.

PFK -

I think that the Pats need someone in the pipeline who is going to replace Faulk. I can see it being someone like Leonard who has some similar skills to Faulk in his route running and pass catching, but also has straight line running ability (antithesis of Maroney). I could also see them going with a Lorenzo Booker type player who is closer to Faulk in many ways.

I agree with a Faulk replacement needed in the pipeline; however, I would not be surprised if that someone isn't Mewelde Moore who will hit FA next year.

I recall BB & co. liked him in that draft. He's fallen out of favor in MIN due to clashes with the coaching staff, Tice never liked him for some reason, and he's a stepchild to Childress & co.

He's not a fulltime RB but is a great 3rd down RB who can start in a pinch. Also, great in the passing game.

(Just not sure if he might have attitude problems.)

Faulk doesnt have great straight line speed..hes fast but not very fast..hes quick, smart and elusive

Leonard is not QUICK. Hes fast straight line, good hands and versatile

Hey, I'm not your cousin! :p

I didn't pay too close attention to ST, so can't comment on Evans. But I think its a given anyway that any rookie RB the Pats potentially draft will have to be able to play ST well, so I wouldn't factor that in too highly to Evans chances.
Sorry if I have offended you.
DW Toys

Why waste a pick on RB when we need defense?

Why waste a pick on RB when we need defense?
I would totally agree w/ you except for the fact that we all know that BB and Pioli will put value ahead of need when it comes to picking players. On paper I feel pretty confident about our RB situation heading into TC, unfortunately, we've seen what a few key injuries will do. While I don't think we grab a RB at #28 I wouldn't be shocked, either! That being said I do believe we go defense with our two 1st rounders or pull off a trade. There seems to be some good depth at several positions for defense this year in the draft.

Just curious. This post makes me think about the year Parcells drafted Curtis Martin out of Pitt. Was that a 3rd round pick?

I would totally agree w/ you except for the fact that we all know that BB and Pioli will put value ahead of need when it comes to picking players. On paper I feel pretty confident about our RB situation heading into TC, unfortunately, we've seen what a few key injuries will do. While I don't think we grab a RB at #28 I wouldn't be shocked, either! That being said I do believe we go defense with our two 1st rounders or pull off a trade. There seems to be some good depth at several positions for defense this year in the draft.

Just curious. This post makes me think about the year Parcells drafted Curtis Martin out of Pitt. Was that a 3rd round pick?

Yes it was, injured his senior year, I believe.

And I totally disagree about this "value" thing. i wish I had BB's quote about "why would I draft a player we can't use", (paraphrase).

You hardly ever see trades in the NFL and we aren't going to draft a RB who's a better receiver than Faulk, more valuable utility and special teams than Morris, or who's going to take carries away from Maroney.

We have guys like Evans and Mills for a reason too.

The only way he stashes value picks that don't play is DL who are 6 1/2 feet 300+ lbs. and that was a bottom 2nd round pick.

I wouldn't be surprised with a mid to late round RB or two. They have a ton of low picks that look useless to me right now except for camp fodder.

Yes it was, injured his senior year, I believe.

And I totally disagree about this "value" thing. i wish I had BB's quote about "why would I draft a player we can't use", (paraphrase).

You hardly ever see trades in the NFL and we aren't going to draft a RB who's a better receiver than Faulk, more valuable utility and special teams than Morris, or who's going to take carries away from Maroney.

We have guys like Evans and Mills for a reason too.

The only way he stashes value picks that don't play is DL who are 6 1/2 feet 300+ lbs. and that was a bottom 2nd round pick.

I wouldn't be surprised with a mid to late round RB or two. They have a ton of low picks that look useless to me right now except for camp fodder.
To be honest, I really haven't followed too much on the offensive side of the ball for the draft ('cept for all the Calvin Johnson talk and Russell v. Quinn hype). I am pretty focused on the possible picks for "D" because I actually want to know something about BB's first picks this time around. It's probably a longshot, but I'm still holding out hope for the chance that BB/Pioli can somehow land Laron Landry on draft day. I see him going in picks 5-10, but it would be nice!!

To be honest, I really haven't followed too much on the offensive side of the ball for the draft ('cept for all the Calvin Johnson talk and Russell v. Quinn hype). I am pretty focused on the possible picks for "D" because I actually want to know something about BB's first picks this time around. It's probably a longshot, but I'm still holding out hope for the chance that BB/Pioli can somehow land Laron Landry on draft day. I see him going in picks 5-10, but it would be nice!!

It would be a great draft to take a shot on an injured RB in the 4th through 7th.

We save a roster spot through IR and maybe get a Priest Holmes.

I actually lived in Austin, TX in the 90s and was hoping they'd take a shot at Holmes, (I believe he went undrafted).

Just goes to show you can watch a guy and know how good he is even though his stats say JAG. Priest had a serious injury and competition when healthy, but you only have to see a RB a game or two to know a potential great, (or good) RB from a plodding statistics compiler.

Last edited:
Faulk doesnt have great straight line speed..hes fast but not very fast..hes quick, smart and elusive

Leonard is not QUICK. Hes fast straight line, good hands and versatile

Geee, that is why I said he'd make a good compliment to Maroney because Maroney IS QUICK.

C. You have your opinion that Morris is the #2 back and will therefore need to share time with Maroney (and step in for him as needed). You believe that this is bb's opinion because we pay him $1.3M a year. You believe that this means that we should not sign a Day One running back. I disagree on all counts. That is my opinion. We may not NEED to sign a Day One running back. We do need a backup running back, and perhaps even a short down running back to share the load with Maroney. Morris is a fine Ster and will take some of Faulk's reps.
Morris replaced Pass not Dillon. Dillon remains unreplaced, although if everyone steps ups, and there are no injuries, we will be fine.

Morris has indeed replaced Pass. The thing is, Evans has also replaced Pass. But nobody has replaced Dillon. And Mills has replaced...?

This is why the drafting of Mills in the 4th round, after a RB, WR and TE had been selected the day before, made no effin sense to me whatsoever - then and now. And why the signing of Justin Griffith, instead of the older, slower, more expensive Morris, would have made better sense. Griffith could have replaced Pass, Evans, and possibly Dillon, if given the chance. This would have allowed both a new power back and a 3rd-down back of the future to be added to the RB corps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3