PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Run the Ball!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Brady changing plays at the line? I thought he was just changing protections.

He was changing plays as well. Again, we don't know how often he was changing them, just that he was changing some..

The other thing that I noticed is that they didn't call ANY slants. I would think that the slant would be a very effective, short yardage, passing paly that would help catch the defense off-guard...

Line up in a power formation with Moss in the slot. Hike the Ball and hit moss on the quick slant before the defense can get their hands up since they were expecting a run..

I cannot for the life of me understand why they insist on running from a single back set only. One would think that with marginal run blocking so far, a fullback might be kind of useful?

Also: A lot of the run play designs seem pretty weaksauce to me. Specifically when we line Maroney up 75 feet in the backfield or when we run toss sweeps that are pretty slow to develop. There was one running play yesterday where even the announcers remarked that it looked poor in terms of both concept and execution.

He was changing plays as well. Again, we don't know how often he was changing them, just that he was changing some..

The other thing that I noticed is that they didn't call ANY slants. I would think that the slant would be a very effective, short yardage, passing paly that would help catch the defense off-guard...

Line up in a power formation with Moss in the slot. Hike the Ball and hit moss on the quick slant before the defense can get their hands up since they were expecting a run..

I agree - I'd like to see some slants. They were running Moss on crossing patterns across the middle, that was taking too long to set up. A quick slant would work before the rush could get there.

Another point that seems to get overlooked when people talk about RB's getting stuffed in the backfield, or NE rushing the ball a few times for no gain, is that NE usually finds themselves in those situations after having thrown the ball for 10 plays, and their rushing attack hasn't been allowed to get into any kind of rhythm. Basically, NE seems to expect their rushing attack to pick up where it left off two series prior, when they were having success. It doesn't work that way, and you need to keep your RB's involved.

???
You believe that having a fullback or running with a blocker might actually help our running game? Ya think???????????

I strongly agree!

I cannot for the life of me understand why they insist on running from a single back set only. One would think that with marginal run blocking so far, a fullback might be kind of useful?

Also: A lot of the run play designs seem pretty weaksauce to me. Specifically when we line Maroney up 75 feet in the backfield or when we run toss sweeps that are pretty slow to develop. There was one running play yesterday where even the announcers remarked that it looked poor in terms of both concept and execution.

The title says it all, and NE's seemingly run the ball less each of the past 3-4 years, with Brady at the helm. It's understandable when you're fielding a below average group of RB's, but the Patriots actually have multiple RB's on their roster who are capable of carrying the load, and posting good numbers during the process. This is an important point to get out of the way, since I want to make it clear that NE can run the ball, when they choose, it's just that for whatever reason, they're choosing to live and die by the pass.

Why do I believe NE's rushing attack can be effective? Some examples:

Game one: Maroney starts the game out with 4 carries for 27 yards, and an average of 6.75 yards per carry. Instead of continuing to run the ball with Maroney, NE takes him out of the game, and goes back to the air. When you've got a QB like Brady I can understand wanting to give him every opportunity to make plays, but if your running game is working, you shouldn't just abandon it.

Game two: Fred Taylor's given the ball 8 times, and he gains 46 yards on those 8 carries, for an average of 5.8 YPC. Maroney doesn't fair quite as well, but also had some good runs during the first half. He finishes the game with 6 rushes for 23 yards (3.8 YPC). So, with one RB gaining close to 6 yards, and another gaining close to 4 yards each time they touch the ball, why would NE again choose to abandon the run?

As I've already explained, I can understand wanting to put the ball in Brady's hands as much as possible, but you're running the ball effectively, and the passing game (especially in week 2) isn't working... In my opinion, the Patriots could have moved the ball more effectively, and put up a TD or two, if they had stuck with the run. With Brady coming back from serious injury, I can't understand the coaching staff's decision to place the outcome of these contest so squarely on his shoulders, especially since they seem capable of running the ball. Sometimes I think NE's coaching staff forgets that while Brady and the offense put up other worldly passing numbers throughout most of the 2007 regular season, it was on the back of their rushing attack (Maroney in particular) that they won two of those playoff games, before going down slinging against the Giants, as Brady attempted one bomb after another.

An added note concerning my earlier statement, where I mentioned some of these problems are 3-4 years old. I'm talking about playcalling, and NE's inability to commit to a power rushing attack. Some particular playcalling patterns that I've noticed: If they run the ball successfully 2-3 times in a row, NE's coaching staff will then believe they've sufficiently established the run, and proceed to pass the ball almost exclusively for the next 5-10 plays, even if their passing attack isn't being as successful.

On sunday just prior to Brady faking the run and going deep to Moss (instead finding Revis), I told the person standing next to me "they're going to fake the run, and go deep to Moss". I'm sure many fans on this message board had similar thoughts, and I'm also sure it was pretty obvious to the Jets defensive coaches as well. NE's being too predictable on offense has been a problem for awhile now, and I don't see anything changing.

Seb, could you please mail this (incl. the thread title) to:

Bill Belichick, HC/GM/OC/DC of the NEP
Gillette Stadium @ Patriots Place
Foxborough MA

He needs to read something like this, before it's too late.

If we ever get a lead over 6 points I will look into why we are not running the ball more.

Agree with you post one million percent. Teams have known for the last several years, that they can rush the passer, because most likely the Pats are going to pass. If the Pats show success running? Doesn't matter. They will pass, pass, and pass some more, even if Brady, coming off major surgery is hit like a tackling dummy.

In my opinion, the Pats should stick with one back--either Maroney or Taylor--the whole game(except maybe Faulk in third and long). Let whichever one you choose get into a rhythm.

Further, I think Freddy T would be a good choice. Yep, I know,"Fragile Fred". He's had a lot of injuries. But never an ACL or severe foot injury that's career threatening and I think he's still got the juice. Give him 20 carries and something good will happen.

I've watched him over the years and he always starts slow, mainly 'cause J'ville had a new OC just about every year. He's learning the BB system and I think 'pound him' and see what happens. If he gets hurt or screws up, put someone else in and stay with him.

Taylor brought his own blocker. He reminded me a little of Corey Dillon out there.

It seems like opponenets know that when Maroney is in the play is a run and they are stacking the box. I think we need to teach Maroney how to pick up blitzers and pass a little more with him in the lineup.
How about we line him and Faulk up in a split backfield and really confuse the defense.
I know O'brien is new as interim OC, but man. his game plan is about as smooth as sand paper. The man needs help.

I hope the first 3 plays we run this week are runs with a fullback leading the way. Dont even care if its 3rd and long. At least let the other team THINK your gonna be running the ball this game...

and Taylors style of running for the last 5 years or so has been "patiently explosive". He will slow down to set up his own blocks instead of simply outrunning your own blockers like most rookies do, then turn the guns on after that. Thats what you get with a RB in his 12th year at being a starter(if you wanna call it that in BB system)

An added note concerning my earlier statement, where I mentioned some of these problems are 3-4 years old. I'm talking about playcalling, and NE's inability to commit to a power rushing attack. Some particular playcalling patterns that I've noticed: If they run the ball successfully 2-3 times in a row, NE's coaching staff will then believe they've sufficiently established the run, and proceed to pass the ball almost exclusively for the next 5-10 plays, even if their passing attack isn't being as successful.

On sunday just prior to Brady faking the run and going deep to Moss (instead finding Revis), I told the person standing next to me "they're going to fake the run, and go deep to Moss". I'm sure many fans on this message board had similar thoughts, and I'm also sure it was pretty obvious to the Jets defensive coaches as well. NE's being too predictable on offense has been a problem for awhile now, and I don't see anything changing.

You're right that this has been a problem the past 4 years.
Like the 03-04 Colts, our talent is usually so good it doesn't even matter, we still get it done.

Against a physical, talented, attacking D however, this type of offense gets stuffed, just like we were in 07, just like the 03 and 04 Colts were.

It's obvious to everyone that the Pats do not have any sort of commitment to the run, compared to like 01-04. Back then even when we were averaging 3 yards a carry, we were still pounding the ball in there, wearing down their defense.

Last edited:
You do know that we don't have a fullback on the squad?

I hope the first 3 plays we run this week are runs with a fullback leading the way. Dont even care if its 3rd and long. At least let the other team THINK your gonna be running the ball this game...

and Taylors style of running for the last 5 years or so has been "patiently explosive". He will slow down to set up his own blocks instead of simply outrunning your own blockers like most rookies do, then turn the guns on after that. Thats what you get with a RB in his 12th year at being a starter(if you wanna call it that in BB system)

Running the ball well and passing the ball well fall on the same group of guys...the OL

As long as the OL remains a turnstile for Pass Rushers you will see Brady throwing erratically and the running game going nowhere because of the inability of making holes and pushing their man backwards like good OLs do.

Its not going to change unless Light and Company grow some balls and beat their man at the LOS

Poor Pass Protection and run blocking is the easiest and most glaring hole on this team

I think sooner or later if things don't get better BB will be moving Vollmer into the lineup and moving guys around..its bad right now.

Last edited:
After that first carry by Maroney for 10 yards, I thought to myself: We are going to run the ball today. Well, I was completely wrong.

Tell me, what the hell is the point in having 4 more than capable starters suiting up at RB, when we are going to run the ball like twice a game?

I feel like after they got stuffed on one play, they just said **** it, we'll pass all day. That is what the Jets WANTED.

Unbelievable.

Also, Brady had maybe 1.5 seconds of time in the pocket each drop back, so even if we didn't run the ball more, maybe we could keep more guys in to block? Jesus.

Also, if anyone knows why Sammy Morris is still on this team, please let me know. Not saying he's bad...we just don't need him...

Last edited:
You do know that we don't have a fullback on the squad?

OK, but Morris was drafted (Buff?) to play FB and brought to Miami for the same position, originally.

That said... not a real impressive go, so far, if that's his job now.

I don't know about the line; opinion seems divided. But (a) it's pathetic that the Pats don't have a fullback and (b) if they aren't going to use any of their three ******* solid backs in Maroney, Taylor, and BJGE—plus Morris and Faulk—they might as well trade them out for Ocho Cinco, Terrell Owens, and whoever the hell else the coaches think will magically whisk the offensive turmoil away. And while they're at it they should get a real offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator who isn't a complete priss.

Last edited:
This is one of the two best offenses that we'll faces. We'll see where the defense is in their development.

This is one of the two best offenses that we'll face. We'll see where the defense is in their development.

True, but isn't that a post that belongs in maybe another thread?

BTW, this has been an excellent thread, with lots of good thoughts from everyone. Keep up the pressure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back