PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Run Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Elandon Roberts was assigned to plug 4 gaps all by himself? I don’t doubt that was the assignment. Most likely the play was designed for Roberts to stay back letting the back choose his lane before engaging the runner. The problem is the scheme design has Roberts chasing the back from the get go because of the distance between him and the runner and Roberts is not fast enough to catch him. Most LBs aren’t.

This is just an example of Patriot D coaches putting a player in a position to fail. I know their reputation is the opposite but that reputation was earned a long time ago. Routinely, Patriot D coaches write checks that their players can’t cash.

I cite last year’s Pittsburgh game where on three different occasions the Steelers got key first downs exploiting a scheme that had DE Trey Flowers in man coverage against LeVeon Bell. Flowers is a good football player, but he’s going to lose that matchup every time.

Belichick’s best defenses with the Giants in the 80s and Patriots in the 2000s both possessed exceptional personnel. You couldn’t write a check that LT couldn’t cash. You sure can for the Elandon Roberts of the world.

Variable game plans are a staple of the Belichick coaching philosophy. It works on offense because you choose the play and players you need to run it. It’s harder on defense because you’re reacting to the offense. You have to have exceptional personnel to be variable on defense. Players who can do many things and do them well. When you don’t have that level of talent, you’re better off playing a similar scheme every game adjusted some for matchups. A scheme that’s designed around the skills of your defenders.

The Patriots could use a talent infusion in DL and LB corps that’s for sure. But, my contention is this defense could be a lot better with the talent on hand if players weren’t put in so many “can’t win” positions by the coaches such as Roberts in this instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back