PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Run Defense Going Forward:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
It is extremely hard to find any weaknesses in this defense this year. I definitely wouldn’t even consider this a weakness by any means, but the run defense is probably the one category where I couldn’t say we are “elite.” I’m just unsure of what it truly is yet.

We do remain second in yards per game allowed. And we’ve done pretty well against most teams vs. the run so far. The only exception would be Frank Gore in week 4 in Buffalo, who posted over 100 yards and 6+ YPC.

This will be a big test the next two weeks to see if teams are capable of running against us. If they do, it may be a blueprint that opposing teams will try to use going forward.

Nick Chubb is the best RB we will have faced so far this year. You have to think they will heavily gameplan running with him considering how many interceptions Baker is throwing right now, and how many we’ve been picking off.

As for the week after vs. Baltimore, I don’t even need to tell you why that’ll be a huge test. Not many teams run the football more effectively than Baltimore. Very curious to see how Bill gameplans for Lamar.

Nick Chubb is the best RB we will have faced so far this year. You have to think they will heavily gameplan running with him considering how many interceptions Baker is throwing right now, and how many we’ve been picking off.

You would think, yeah, but OTOH Freddie Kitchens seems determined to underutilize the one part of his offense that actually works, so it's no given.

The face Chubb, Jackson-Ingram then Elliot. HUGE test for this defense!

You would think, yeah, but OTOH Freddie Kitchens seems determined to underutilize the one part of his offense that actually works, so it's no given.
He sure did week 4 vs. Baltimore. But otherwise yeah he simply hasn’t been doing it. I’m definitely starting to think he’s not that smart of a guy.

I agree the run D is a little shaky at times.

I would consider the run defense decent but nothing in comparison to the pass defense.

They definitely should sell out to stop Chubb.

I am hearing teams have IDed Guy as the weak link and keep designing runs to go right at him. I will start the research.

I am hearing teams have IDed Guy as the weak link and keep designing runs to go right at him. I will start the research.
You have an “in” with how many NFL teams? Cool.

I mean Guy had a really really rough play against Bell Monday night where he missed twice.

Again, only one play. But still

You have an “in” with how many NFL teams? Cool.
It sounded like I am hearing from teams, but this was a scouting video I watched on a Brown's forum where that comment was made that since game 3, runs have been directly at Guy when he is in. I am doing some research to see if there is something remotely to it.

The only exception would be Frank Gore in week 4 in Buffalo, who posted over 100 yards and 6+ YPC.

Take away his 41 yard run where Bentley guessed wrong (Hightower was inactive) he had 16 carries for 68 yards

just like looking at Bell's statline without context
1 rush for 19 yards
1 rush for 11 yards (Pats were up 33-0 in the 4th backups were in)
13 carries for 40 yards

If you are questioning the run defense at this point you are nitpicking a few bad runs that have skewed the yards per carry allowed much like that 65 yard WR end around they gave up against Washington

Take away those 3 runs (65 yard run, 41 yard run and 19 yard run) Pats run defense is
398 yards allowed
3.23 yards per carry allowed
This right here would have the Pats at
56.8 yards per game allowed (would be #1 by 12 yards a game)
3.23 per carry would be #2 (behind TB's 2.98 per carry allowed)

I'm sure some contrarian will respond ("YOU CAN DO THIS WITH EVERY TEAM TO MAKE THE STATS LOOK BETTER"). Except I'm doing it with only 3 plays all season. 1 of them was a huge fluke play where the defense had the guy and he slipped through, another one where the 2nd year LB guessed wrong and another Guy had Bell but fell down which allowed Bell to slip free

Here are those 3 runs

I think the run D could be a bit better but it's not terrible by any means.

I think the run D could be a bit better but it's not terrible by any means.
The run d could be better at the expense of the pass d. I like the way it’s been.

That said we really haven’t faced an offense that has done anything effectively other than pop a big play or 2.
Someone is going to be smart enough to try to come out big and jam it down our throats to make us play differently than we have.

it looks like our response to that will be a 34 with butler (and maybe bennett) Shelton Guy at DL and KVN, HT, Roberts/Bentley, and Collins.

Yes the run D could be better. Maybe it is a bit nitpicking but teams have been able to peel of some runs. Fortunately the run D is definitely good enough to cause some if not many 3rd and mid-longer situations. Provided the run D can do this and the pass D keeps up their level of play, gonna be very hard to convert enough third downs to sustain scoring drives against this D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft