PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

Love this Thread!! :D :rocker:

I gotta say: The suggestion that the Browns lacking their 2nd Round Pick automatically means that they have to give up a 1st Rounder ~ not because he's worth a 1st Rounder, mind you, but simply because they lack a 2nd Rounder!! ~ is pretty damned hilarious. That's like saying "That 20 Ounce Soda costs a Dollar...Oh!! You only have a Five??...Well, then, it's gonna have to be $5 for that Soda ~ I don't have any change!!"
jester.gif

I swear to God: Some'f the Notions that I read, hereabouts...

There are exactly two (2) Variables determining Mallett's Market Value, Same As It Ever Was:

1 ~ What Coach Bill will take to trade'm.

2 ~ What the Highest Bidder will trade to get'm.

Same As It Ever Was.

talking-heads.jpg

You mean 95% of the other fans from this board. Too bad 95% of the fans on this board don't know you from ESPN.

BTW - thanks for your analysis on Mallet. To say that was impressive would be an understatement.

Oh, you were multilingo? LMAO. Even ESPN banned you for trolling and they outsource their moderation to people who don't give a crap and refuse to do any sort of moderation except for the most extreme and most stupid of offenses.

The irony is that most people at ESPN forums called me a massive unbiased homer. This whole calling me out thing is cute, but it's just making you look like a 12 year old girl obsessed and mad at me because I rejected you.

Nice try Tony - and this thread is about Ryan Mallet and not about you. Thats' ok, just based on the fact that I decided to leave ESPN as did a bunch of others this week, I can see that you are getting the same level of respect when you tucktailed over here and are receiving the same results.

BTW - I am glad that you are over here. This board will only confirm my thoughts about you and statements like the ones that you have made about Mallet.

:rocker:

Hello Tony - It is good to see that you have developed the same reputation that you developed at ESPN.

If you want to deal with reality, realize that your opinion of Danny Amendola is a tad askew.

As for Ryan Mallet, it is all up to Michael Lombardi and how he is valuing someone like Mallet including his value in comparison to a draft pick and I am sure as you are aware, Lombardi really likes Mallet.

Mallet was a 3rd round draft pick so you can bank on the fact that BB is not going to want a 3rd round pick for Mallet.

If Lombardi picks up the phone and BB tells him that it is going to cost a 1st round pick because of the Josh Gordon selection then Lombardi has a choice to make.

It really is that simple.

Right Tony?

I think the unique thing about Mallett's situation with Lombardi is that his son was on our coaching staff all of last year and seeing Mallett on a day to day basis. If not for that fact I'd agree there is no way we could get the 6th pick in the draft for him but if your son who was on the coaching staff tells you that this kid is practicing every day like a franchise QB and doing things that Tom Brady is doing why wouldn't you give the 6th pick in the draft for that?

I find it funny when people try to claim I'm a super negative person and refer to my posts on other forums. From my experience 95% of other fans call me/believe I am a massive homer.
Making up fake people to prove yourself doesn't make you cool.

Ask Manti Te'o. :snob:

Even ESPN banned you for trolling and they outsource their moderation to people who don't give a crap and refuse to do any sort of moderation except for the most extreme and most stupid of offenses.

Yeah?? Maybe I should look them up!!
jester.gif

I think the unique thing about Mallett's situation with Lombardi is that his son was on our coaching staff all of last year and seeing Mallett on a day to day basis.

If not for that fact I'd agree there is no way we could get the 6th pick in the draft for him but if your son who was on the coaching staff tells you that this kid is practicing every day like a franchise QB and doing things that Tom Brady is doing why wouldn't you give the 6th pick in the draft for that?

Um...'cause he sucks?? Just Sayin'!! :D

How does Mallett's draft stock go down when he's been an understudy to potentially the greatest QB of all time, has untapped potential and this Quarterback class looks to be pathetic?

Simple answer: Matt Cassel

And why the heck would the Patriots even want to trade him? Who's the backup then? Some scrub off the street? I don't understand this ridiculous rumor. Of course if Lombardi was to offer a first....

There may be something to this potential trade. I see a case where Mallet + #29 for #6, if brown's guy is already off the board. In this case, the Browns can get a qb and still have 1st round pick in the draft.

There may be something to this potential trade. I see a case where Mallet + #29 for #6, if brown's guy is already off the board. In this case, the Browns can get a qb and still have 1st round pick in the draft.

how do you see it?

how do you see it?

Okay, you are right. Wrong choice of words. Like most of folks on this board, I am guessing based on some of the players they brought for visit, rumor, how the draft works out for both parties...

I have no clue what the Browns will do with this pick. I do think they will try hard to trade it as they are a team without any dire needs, other than QB potentially. People say they need a CB opposite Joe Haden, which while true, does not mean they need a high 1st round CB opposite Joe Haden. I think FS is their only glaring need. Maybe Kenny Vaccaro goes insanely high?

The only likely scenario involving us and the Browns is if the Browns trade down and we trade Mallett for a 2nd rounder that the Browns acquire in their trade down. Potential suitors could be the Dolphins, Chargers or Cardinals looking to grab the 2nd or 3rd best OT or CB still on the board.

Simple answer: Matt Cassel

And why the heck would the Patriots even want to trade him? Who's the backup then? Some scrub off the street? I don't understand this ridiculous rumor. Of course if Lombardi was to offer a first....

Mallett is rubbish. He's played poorly (bad footwork in moving in the pocket and setting up for his passes), he makes slow reads. A big arm can't solve everything.

If we ever got a price BB agreed with, we can use a pick to draft a new understudy, if Brady gets hurt, Mallett can't win the SB on his own, nor can this understudy for at least a couple of years.

Mallett is rubbish. He's played poorly (bad footwork in moving in the pocket and setting up for his passes), he makes slow reads. A big arm can't solve everything.

If we ever got a price BB agreed with, we can use a pick to draft a new understudy, if Brady gets hurt, Mallett can't win the SB on his own, nor can this understudy for at least a couple of years.

For better or for worse, the Patriots have managed to do a pretty impressive job of NOT showing us what Mallett is capable of with the first-string offense.

I guess that the only whiff a rumor of this actually happening (the Patriot swapping first picks with the Browns for Mallet) is the Patriots bringing in Dion Jordon. But the Patriots bring in a lot of guys and few of them are drafted. And interesting and odd move. Such a trade would be a blockbuster...at least by Patriots standards.

Please, Please get a scouting job with the Jets, or even better become their GM. They could really use your keen ability to judge football talent (you're obviously better than BB).

The word is that Mike Lombardi, the new vice president of player personnel for the Cleveland Browns, is very very high on Mallet, and that the asking price will be the "number 6 overall pick this year, plus more."

Could the Cleveland Browns Be in the Market for Ryan Mallett? | Bleacher Report
Could Ryan Mallett become Browns' next QB? - ESPN
Ryan Mallett will be the Browns’ starting quarterback in a few hours, right? | 100 Yards and Running | Blogs | theScore.com

It seems too good to be true, but the fact that this is even being brought up suggests that his trade value might be much higher than I previously thought.

A 1st rounder for Mallet? Ryan Mallet has shown nothing and may be worth a 5th round pick at best. The Patriots got Randy Moss for a 4th rounder. Let's get real.

A 1st rounder for Mallet? Ryan Mallet has shown nothing and may be worth a 5th round pick at best. The Patriots got Randy Moss for a 4th rounder. Let's get real.

Belichick told dimitroff several years ago not to trade up for julio jones because the price was too steep. The outcome of that trade is debatable, but nonetheless reflects belichicks philosophy.

Belichick told dimitroff several years ago not to trade up for julio jones because the price was too steep. The outcome of that trade is debatable, but nonetheless reflects belichicks philosophy.

I think we can all agree that BB was wrong on that occasion.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back