PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

OTOH, Matt Flynn, for the next two years, costs $11M if he's not willing to renegotiate his contract.

Right now, Mallett costs about $1M for the next two years.

I was quite amazed that the Raiders paid "Full Book Value" on that Clunker. :eek:

It certainly illustrates how barren and desolate the QB Market is. Here's hoping that that bodes well for Mallett's Market Value...and that Coach Bill takes the highest Bid, whatever it is. :D

Anything less than a 2nd round this year or a 1st next year and he shouldn't be traded.

Backup QBs, especially young ones with skills, have a lot of value in the NFL.

Brian Hoyer, Rohan Davey, Kliff KingsBury, and Michael Bishop ~ Michael Bishop!! ~ say "Hi"!! :D

Matt Cassel says HI right back!

And Alex "El-bencho" Smith garnered two 2nd round picks.

Evidently, you need me to break this down for you:

1 ~ UpStater made a sweeping, inclusive statement: He said "especially young ones with skills", yes, but the basic statement was quite clearly and demonstrably about "backup QuarterBacks" in general.

2 ~ I illustrated, beyond a reasonable doubt, as it were, that most backup QB's, in fact, aren't worth diddly. Ergo, his sweeping statement ~ no offense, if you're reading this, Upstater ~ was ludicrous.

3 ~ You blundered in to point out a couple of the well known exceptions to the general reality that backup QB's aren't worth diddly, thus illustrating that you can't grasp the simple concept that a few exceptions don't come within a country mile of validating an unmistakably false sweeping statement.

But, hey...Thanks for sharing your Insight with us. ;)

the way I see it, Mallett is more capable than any QB that is in this draft......so if there is a QB that is worth a 1st rounder, then that's what Mallett is worth......especially given he has 2 years left at a cut rate.

I was quite amazed that the Raiders paid "Full Book Value" on that Clunker. :eek:

It certainly illustrates how barren and desolate the QB Market is. Here's hoping that that bodes well for Mallett's Market Value...and that Coach Bill takes the highest Bid, whatever it is. :D

It was slighty re-negotiated -- the Raiders only guaranteed the first year at 6.5 million. That's a bargain for a starting QB -- even for a mediocre one. Depending on how this year goes, they can get him for another year for another 7.5, or if he's not good and they decide to roll with Terrell Pryor or Geno Smith in 2014, they can cut him with no cap penalty.

the way I see it, Mallett is more capable than any QB that is in this draft.

I'm not willing to see it that way. And I have a feeling that if Mallett has spent the last couple of years as a backup in Atlanta, Detroit, or wherever, none of us would see it that way.

And if Mallett's 2 years left on his contract is a sweet deal for the theoretical acquiring team, Ryan Nassib on a 4 year rookie deal (which can't be negotiated until after 3), is twice as nice.

There is absolutely no way we get #38 straight up for Mallett, let alone #6.

Brady will force a trade to the Jets before either of those happen.

Being that all the sources cited in this thread as not rumors, but gossip, I think this thread should be closed.

do you have any hope at all for the patriots?

Do you by any chance have a rain cloud that won't leave from above your head??

Being that all the sources cited in this thread as not rumors, but gossip, I think this thread should be closed.

I would say it shouldn't. There are some problems with this thread, but all in all, there's been a lot of interesting discussion. And this isn't the main board, too. :)

do you have any hope at all for the patriots?

Do you by any chance have a rain cloud that won't leave from above your head??

Being realistic doesn't make me a pessimist.

This is akin to someone saying we should trade our first for jj watt , me saying that's ridiculous and you both saying... "MAN WHY DO YOU THINK THE PATRIOTS ARE DOOMED"

Just because you have zero sense of real nfl value (no, madden isn't real), doesn't make me wrong or a pessimist. Simply means you don't understand value in the nfl.

Heck even in madden im pretty sure even the computer would laugh at an offer for mallet for the sixth overall pick.

Hello Tony - It is good to see that you have developed the same reputation that you developed at ESPN.

If you want to deal with reality, realize that your opinion of Danny Amendola is a tad askew.

As for Ryan Mallet, it is all up to Michael Lombardi and how he is valuing someone like Mallet including his value in comparison to a draft pick and I am sure as you are aware, Lombardi really likes Mallet.

Mallet was a 3rd round draft pick so you can bank on the fact that BB is not going to want a 3rd round pick for Mallet.

If Lombardi picks up the phone and BB tells him that it is going to cost a 1st round pick because of the Josh Gordon selection then Lombardi has a choice to make.

It really is that simple.

Right Tony?

Tony all you do is over exaggerate every single little detail wrong with the team every signing, every rumor and every trade idea you shoot down not even giving a reasonable thought about it. Think of it this way if Ryan Mallett were in this draft as the player he is today he would be the unquestioned #2 and maybe the #1 QB look at the QB needy teams raiders, jaguars, browns, cardinals, bills, jets its pretty likely that one of those teams would select him at one of their first round picks if we was available in this draft. If the Jaguars can take blaine gabbert in the first round and the browns can take Brandon Weeden at 24 they sure as hell can take mallett at #6

If Lombardi picks up the phone and BB tells him that it is going to cost a 1st round pick because of the Josh Gordon selection then Lombardi has a choice to make.

What does Josh Gordon have to do with this? We didn't even put in a bid for him during the supplemental draft.

Because Josh Gordon was the Browns supplemental pick last year and it is costing the Browns a 2013 2nd round pick.

Naturally, that 2nd round pick would be a better option for the Browns as a trade chip to land Mallet but because they don't have that pick, it would have to be a 1st round pick either this year or next year if the Browns and Lombardi truly wanted Mallet.

What does Josh Gordon have to do with this? We didn't even put in a bid for him during the supplemental draft.

I guess that didn't register to me because Mallett isn't worth a 1st rounder.

I guess that didn't register to me because Mallett isn't worth a 1st rounder.

Yea, I hear ya. With that said, if Lombardi is that much in love with Mallet, you have to set the asking price if you are BB. And since they are absent of that 2nd round pick, then I guess you have to ask for a 1st round pick if it is a straight up deal....

If Lombardi thinks that Mallett is worth a second or a bit more, then the compensation might be next year's first. But I don't think that this will happen.

Yea, I hear ya. With that said, if Lombardi is that much in love with Mallet, you have to set the asking price if you are BB. And since they are absent of that 2nd round pick, then I guess you have to ask for a 1st round pick if it is a straight up deal....

Hello Tony - It is good to see that you have developed the same reputation that you developed at ESPN.

If you want to deal with reality, realize that your opinion of Danny Amendola is a tad askew.

As for Ryan Mallet, it is all up to Michael Lombardi and how he is valuing someone like Mallet including his value in comparison to a draft pick and I am sure as you are aware, Lombardi really likes Mallet.

Mallet was a 3rd round draft pick so you can bank on the fact that BB is not going to want a 3rd round pick for Mallet.

It really is that simple.

Right Tony?

I find it funny when people try to claim I'm a super negative person and refer to my posts on other forums. From my experience 95% of other fans call me/believe I am a massive homer.

My expectations are completely in touch with reality. It's the people who think after a career of injuries, Amendola is suddenly going to have a BIGGER burden and NOT get injured that need to get a reality check.

Kevin O'Connel was a 3rd round pick. What kind of pick did Belichick get out of him?

Or Shawn Crable?

Or Taylor Price?

It's not that simple. Mallet has shown NOTHING besides having a canon arm, a slow as molasses release, terrible finesse and accuracy and a mediocre ability to read the field.

Mallet is nothing but a slightly less stupid/lazy version of Jarmacus Russel and has shown nothing worthy of being a top 10 pick.

You mean 95% of the other fans from this board. Too bad 95% of the fans on this board don't know you from ESPN.

BTW - thanks for your analysis on Mallet. To say that was impressive would be an understatement.

I find it funny when people try to claim I'm a super negative person and refer to my posts on other forums. From my experience 95% of other fans call me/believe I am a massive homer.

My expectations are completely in touch with reality. It's the people who think after a career of injuries, Amendola is suddenly going to have a BIGGER burden and NOT get injured that need to get a reality check.

Kevin O'Connel was a 3rd round pick. What kind of pick did Belichick get out of him?

Or Shawn Crable?

Or Taylor Price?

It's not that simple. Mallet has shown NOTHING besides having a canon arm, a slow as molasses release, terrible finesse and accuracy and a mediocre ability to read the field.

Mallet is nothing but a slightly less stupid/lazy version of Jarmacus Russel and has shown nothing worthy of being a top 10 pick.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back