PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Caserio coming back to New England after draft?

What do folks think about this one? I don't know what Caserio would do in NE considering Groh already has his old job here.
Quarterback coach, I hear there’s an opening….

Lose a bobo (Patricia)
Add a bobo (Caserio)

OIP.HCpvo4EsZPHgs4JSY55DGgAAAA
Couch Potato Pir GIF by ALLBLK

Caserio has all of 2 years in Houston. He's been cleaning house and setting a base, by all accounts the McNairs like him quite a bit, considering he came out on top in the power struggle with that fraud Easterby I'm inclined to believe their company line that they think highly of him. Why would he walk when he's finally coming out the other side? It makes no sense

I'm not the biggest fan of Caserio either but I have been wondering over the past few years if it was Caserio who was bad or if Caserio just deferred entirely to Bill and it was Bill making bad picks. We know that in the last couple years, it's been more collaborative and Groh has done a decent job, but I don't know if that's because Groh is better than Caserio or if Caserio was just muzzled. I have not kept up with Houston's drafting that much but obviously they're not a particularly good team at the moment...
It took as long as it did to finally get out from underneath Watson and potentially start building the team he wants ... it would definitely be a little crazy. Especially considering how hard he fought to get out of here.

The Patriots - at least based on the videos so far - seem to be trying to feature the personnel department as they start building this year's version of the team while essentially putting together a documentary of their work. By all accounts, Groh finally seems to be coming into his own, and he seems pretty happy based on that footage. Honestly, unless he's privately being indirectly courted by another team after the job he did, and Bill's not willing to promote him above his current role, I don't see why he'd want to leave now that he seems to be their guy?

Again, all speculation, but the only reason for Caserio to come back - I would think - would be if Groh wants out. He seems pretty happy, but obviously, who knows?

It took as long as it did to finally get out from underneath Watson and potentially start building the team he wants ... it would definitely be a little crazy. Especially considering how hard he fought to get out of here.

The Patriots - at least based on the videos so far - seem to be trying to feature the personnel department as they start building this year's version of the team while essentially putting together a documentary of their work. By all accounts, Groh finally seems to be coming into his own, and he seems pretty happy based on that footage. Honestly, unless he's privately being indirectly courted by another team after the job he did, and Bill's not willing to promote him above his current role, I don't see why he'd want to leave now that he seems to be their guy?

Again, all speculation, but the only reason for Caserio to come back - I would think - would be if Groh wants out. He seems pretty happy, but obviously, who knows?
I agree, the Pats are featuring Groh a lot. But as we have seen, Patriots personnel guys are in high demand around the league. Caserio was courted repeatedly and blocked from leaving by Bill until finally being allowed to leave to become Houston's GM. He was replaced by Ziegler who did the job for all of one year before leaving for a GM job at Vegas. So considering Groh has done a decent job I can just feel an invisible clock ticking... it won't be long until some team offers him a bag to become their GM.

That's why I mention Caserio coming back to NE in an advisory role at first. No need for him in Groh's role while Groh is still here but Groh could leave for a promotion next season and then they'd need him. The reason for Caserio leaving is unknown, though. I'd have to guess it's because Houston wants him to leave and not because he wants to leave. Maybe DeMeco Ryans will pick his own GM to replace Caserio (or become the GM himself?)

You left and failed? Come on back and fail here too!
???

What part of Belichick's hiring of Patricia and Judge don't you understand?

Even Josh left, failed, and came back.

Hell No!

Ummm....WHY?

And would Easterby be coming back with him too?

When has a team completed a draft and then the GM was fired or left right afterwards?

When has a team completed a draft and then the GM was fired or left right afterwards?
The Jets did it just a few years ago. I believe the Bills have also done it. Finishing the draft is essentially the end of the year's biggest task for a GM, so it's the wisest time to part ways. The draft and the biggest portion of free agency is over. If you try to get a new GM later in the season then it might disrupt things too much. You could do it right at the end of a football season but often times you're also seeking a new head coach so sometimes you can only do one at a time (which would be the case with Houston here). It's a little weird but it makes some level of sense.

The Jets did it just a few years ago. I believe the Bills have also done it. Finishing the draft is essentially the end of the year's biggest task for a GM, so it's the wisest time to part ways. The draft and the biggest portion of free agency is over. If you try to get a new GM later in the season then it might disrupt things too much. You could do it right at the end of a football season but often times you're also seeking a new head coach so sometimes you can only do one at a time (which would be the case with Houston here). It's a little weird but it makes some level of sense.
Seems backwards but I had a feeling it was done before. It makes sense if some wild, rogue moves were done during the draft which pissed off a bunch of people in the organization. But if a team thinks a GM needs to go/can be improved upon... why let him be involved in the draft? The draft is like the Super Bowl for GMs.

The World explodes when Caserio trades number 2 for Mac before McNair can even react.

The World explodes when Caserio trades number 2 for Mac before McNair can even react.
I’m guessing if these rumors are true then Caserio already probably has limited control on that pick, he probably needs the owner’s approval to move it.

2000 NE Patriots. Bobby Grier stayed on through the 2000 draft. It happens frequently. Draft prep is an ongoing business.

Why would Caserio move on from the Texans? Perhaps, Demeco Ryan took the HC job partly because he was given a promise to chose his own GM/personnel chief after free agency and the draft.

Why would Caserio return to NE? Why not? Would he have better connections anywhere else? Maybe, he’s the GM Jerod Mayo wants when he takes over.

I'm so sick of reifying the vestiges of yesteryear with this team. Every single Patriots name does it when they leave and we all see it for what it is. McDaniels has like, half the damn Patriots staff with him along with a bunch of random players.

I'm tired of the old guard. I dunno. Basically, I hope not. I also hope BoB doesn't become GM. The only piece we've seen this offseason that heaps praise towards any single person on the Patriots staff is Mayo.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back