PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Browns having fire sale (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan is a serviceable CB in zone coverage with pretty decent ball instincts and a decent tackler.

That's it.

I could debate that part. The rest is right. He's also a good special teamer.

Not that I think there is a chance of this happening, but I really don't think this is what prevents this. I think the Pats can get that space if they needed to. I just don't think the Browns will trade him and I don't think the Pats would give up what the Browns would want for him.

Haden suffered a concussion today. Unlikely to pass the concussion protocol to be traded..

OK, you may have changed my mind on this, but I still don't see how he fits under the cap this year unless the Patriots also send a player back to the Browns.

The Pats could convert money from salary to signing bonus to reduce his cap hit significantly. And the money would be spread over 4 years. The Pats could reduce Haden's cap hit to around $2M with salary to signing bonus conversion.

Haden suffered a concussion today. Unlikely to pass the concussion protocol to be traded..

I didn't expect him to be traded anyway.

You guys really don't want Joe Haden. He is no upgrade from Ryan or Butler. I live in Cleveland and he is despised by the fans. He got paid and quit. He probably couldn't even cover Dwayne Bowe. Earlier in the year his finger hurt and at gametime he pulled himself from the lineup. He has developed a bad reputation around town and there is a rumor that he is being investigated by the FBI. And this is his second concussion this year.

Definitely. "Ryan has improved" is a correct statement, only because he was the worst CB in the league last year.

Statistically that is not true.

Ryan is a serviceable CB in zone coverage with pretty decent ball instincts and a decent tackler.

That's it.
But he shutdown Marshal one on one though.

You guys really don't want Joe Haden. He is no upgrade from Ryan or Butler. I live in Cleveland and he is despised by the fans. He got paid and quit. He probably couldn't even cover Dwayne Bowe. Earlier in the year his finger hurt and at gametime he pulled himself from the lineup. He has developed a bad reputation around town and there is a rumor that he is being investigated by the FBI. And this is his second concussion this year.
Just read that earlier....money laundering. Not good.

No. They left Malcolm alone and Ryan had help.
I was being sarcastic. Ryan is very bad and is killing this team's 3rd down defense with the amount of safety help the are forced always to give him. Makes their coverage so predictable. 3rd and long: the safety will shade over Ryan and Butler will be on an island, every time.

Ryan could be playing at a pro bowl level and people would still say he sucks.

Doesn't Solder have to be signed to a new contract for the 2016 season and beyond? If so, he won't be cheap and the question is then what the difference will be between his hypothetical contract and what a reworked Thomas contract would cost.

Solder is signed thru 2017

He'd be a significant upgrade over any offensive lineman the Patriots have had since Bruce Armstrong.

I don't see it happening because of the money, but Joe Thomas is an all-timer.

IF Thomas were able to join the Patriots, I would believe he would agree to restructure to join a Super Bowl bound team.

Imagine having Thomas/Solder, Vollmer/Cannon protecting Brady for next 2-3 years?

The luxury of high-quality OTs is not a bad problem to have...

IF Thomas were able to join the Patriots, I would believe he would agree to restructure to join a Super Bowl bound team.

Imagine having Thomas/Solder, Vollmer/Cannon protecting Brady for next 2-3 years?

The luxury of high-quality OTs is not a bad problem to have...

Oh, I don't doubt it - but they'd have to clear cap space to get him here first - SO they can restructure his deal. That's going to be a chore to try to do.

Wait...there's a concussion protocol that needs to be passed in order to be traded? :D

Is this so he doesn't sign his name in triplicate or something? (I kid)

Last edited:
If BB could find a way to fit Haden (first choice), or Thomas (2nd choice), under the cap, and the cost were not prohibitive, he'd at least seriously consider those moves, I'd think.

I think I'd actually have Thomas as my first choice.

8 straight pro bowls in a row (first time ever for an OL), and has never missed a single game since being drafted. Wow.

That's it.

Logan Ryan would work just fine as the rotational/subpackage CB3/CB4 he was meant to be when he started the year. He saw a total of 4 percent of the reps in the season opener, and that was a ton of 5-6 DB looks. Things obviously become a bit different when he moves into the starting role.

That said, he's played better than in the past, and may prove himself worthwhile with this opportunity. Fingers crossed. So far, so good. Let's hope it can hold up against better competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes