PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Belichick turned down first round pick for Mallett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't want the title to be obnoxiously long, but something like "Rumor from anonymous Twitterer that claims to have worked in NFL:" would have more accurately described this. Take it for what it's worth.

There's this guy on Twitter under the name NFLosophy. His description says that he is a "Former NFL Operations Coordinator," and he's mentioned many times that he worked for a team whose GM was fired and that he lost his job as part of the house-cleaning that happened with the new GM. He is trying to find another job in the league.

Outside of being a great guy to follow for draft scouting and an idea of how things work behind the scenes, he temporarily dropped one little tidbit that I'd figure would be of notice here.

First, a statement of his opinion not about his opinion of Mallett, but more about teambuilding philosophy:
If the Chiefs believe Ryan Mallet is the guy for them, I'd have no problem if they gave up their 1st round pick to the Pats for him.
That's the first overall pick, ladies and gentlemen.

And because there are enough people that think their complaints on Twitter actually get somewhere, one of his followers accused him of having no idea what he was talking about, pertaining to Mallett being worth a first round pick. And then he dropped the gem:
Fact: Belichick has already been offered a first round pick for him and turned it down.
To add to the speculation, the tweet was deleted and he hasn't said anything else on the subject since.

I don't really know what to think about the claim that a team offered a first for Mallett, but I definitely see why Belichick would turn it down. It's an old strategy that I remember using in Madden. If you have a player that makes a team better, then you want their pick from the season before they get him rather than the season that they do have him. If they're a 4-12 team without him and a 8-8 team with him, you want that 4-12 pick rather than the 8-8 pick. Assuming there's still a team out there that values him at a first round pick, which I don't doubt given this lackluster QB class (assuming there every was such a team in the first place), then Belichick could trade Mallett before the draft and know exactly what pick he's getting rather than playing the first round pick lottery.

Acknowledging that this is one anonymous guy's claim that may be completely try or complete nonsense (which I hope I've made painfully clear), then what do people think?

tl;dr: Twitter user claims to have worked in NFL, says Belichick turned down first round pick for Mallett.

Last edited:
Pats aren't getting a first round pick for him let alone the first over all.

If they could get anything in the first I'd be upset if they turned it down. Same team who traded Seymour couple weeks before the season started for a first in a draft that was two years away.

About as believable as the email that says 'Congratulations, you won the lottery! Just send us $1,000 to process your winning order and we'll send you your million dollar lottery prize'.

A #1 draft pick for a QB drafted in the 3rd round who has never played a meaningful down in the NFL? That's so counter intuitive that even someone who works for the Jets front office wouldn't offer it...

That would have netted the Patriots a 2 round gain for Mallett. I find it difficult to believe that BB wouldn't accept that value (unless he has plans for Mallett of which we're unaware).

This sounds like some crap incarcerated ******** would spew.

Last edited:
Seriously have a hard time believing this. BB loves his draft picks.

If I were BB, I'd get several anonymous sources to send out tweets to that effect. Next it will be a 1st and 3rd, then the kind of deal Cincy got for Carson Palmer.

If I were BB, I'd get several anonymous sources to send out tweets to that effect. Next it will be a 1st and 3rd, then the kind of deal Cincy got for Carson Palmer.

You might be right. I did some digging and found the account registered to an email of [email protected].

:D

Last edited:
If that's true, Belichick should have had his GM powers revoked.

Seriously have a hard time believing this. BB loves his draft picks.

He loves them even more now that we have a CBA agreement that did away with big bucks for unproven rookies..

About as believable as the email that says 'Congratulations, you won the lottery! Just send us $1,000 to process your winning order and we'll send you your million dollar lottery prize'.

A #1 draft pick for a QB drafted in the 3rd round who has never played a meaningful down in the NFL? That's so counter intuitive that only someone who works for the Jets front office would offer it...

Fixed it.

I got an email from the Prince of Nigeria...I had to send him the money, he's royalty for God's sakes!

What's the guy's twitter account?

How could KC sell this to their fans after the Cassel deal ?

Regardless if BB was offered a 1st round pick or not the fact remains that Mallett was a graded as a 1st round talent coming out of college. If not for his past drug issues he probably would have been a top 10 pick. By all accounts he has been a good soldier studying under the best QB in the league. How exactly would any of that reduce his value?

We are not talking about a typical 3rd round, 7th round or an UDFA that was overlooked in the draft or who looked good in a game or two that the media is hyping.

Zero chance that happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has Mallet improved as QB since being drafted...no doubt he has. Has be proven anything in the NFL? He can hand the ball off?

Even Al Davis (may his soul rest in peace) wouldn't offer us a 1st for Mallet if he desperately needed a QB.

I'm still waiting for that second round draft pick for Brian Hoyer! :beatingcoming:

With all due acknowledgements that this report is about as credible as a magic 8 ball...

It's not hard to imagine that Mallett could be worth more now than when he was drafted. Not #1 overall, obviously, but more.

He was pretty universally acknowledged as a round-1 talent, but had character questions that made him a risky choice as the new face of a struggling franchise. After 2 seasons toeing the line in "the Patriot way," showing the off-season commitment to beat out the incumbent backup, he has presumably erased those concerns. Which leaves you with a well-trained 6' 7" QB with an elite arm, under contract for peanuts for the next two years.

Last edited:
What's the name of that kids' game? "I doubt it..." If KC is dumb enough to give us the first pick in the draft for unproven and so far, underwhelming Mallett, then more power to them, but I ain't buying it.

Imagine the tales Matt Walsh might have spun on twitter if it existed back in the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes